HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Only took them 4-5 hours after the fact to finally stop reporting it was an "accident" that shut the bridge. AM980 was ALL over this yesterday, with timely, accurate information.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:42 PM
User Registered

Bridge to reopen at 4 today, according to a free press reporter's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/KellyatLFPress

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
The whole thing is very bizarre. It's a modern-design structure, was rehabed several years back, and is thoroughly inspected every two years at the least by an independent bridge engineering consultant (which is provincially mandated).

I thoroughly doubt that it was moving 30cm's though. Such flexture would cause severe damage to the structure that would have been obvious at the initial inspection following the complaints.

None of it makes much sense.
Based on the Free Press article, it sounds like someone overreacted. I wonder if it really did "heave" the amount that was reported. Some people can "see" things that aren't really there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 PM

So I've been following the issues surrounding marking certain roads as expressways or freeways on Google Maps, such as Highbury in London, and the issue is heating up in Google's Map Maker group, with specific mention of London, and the Dougall Parkway in Windsor. It was discovered that by not marking them as expressways, Google Maps would use those routes for directions even if users selected "Avoid highways" (duh).

Well now one of Google's own people is getting really pissed off and trying to promote Google's rules as gospel without any room for interpretation. I don't the company even understands the issue. It's quite funny, actually.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:06 PM
User Registered

No argument here... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing

London Drivers Suck: http://www.lfpress.com/2012/12/09/ev...ndent-suggests

-----------------------------

With regards to Google Maps, they should have a classification between arterial and freeway like other mapping services do. This 'trunk route' or 'expressway' class could be used for roads like Highbury, the VMP and the Halon Parkway and Guelph.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:12 PM
Sanity merchant

Texting while driving, cell phone while driving, passing 3 lanes to make a left...

Then there are the cabbies who give FUCK ALL about other people and either drive slow as hell, or 80 in a 50 for their fares (I fuck with them a lot, always drive slower when they are behind, or such)

London sucks for driving in. Only ever had one speeding ticket myself. 4 years ago. I'm 27 and drive a sports car... People need to be more "after you" with less "after you, no after you, no I insist after you, no please go ahead", or "change lanes in front of me? I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL"

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 10:17 PM

Cabbies are terribly ignorant on London roads. My biggest beefs are them parking on York St. & Richmond near Central, despite the fact they're no parking areas and basically turns the streets into 1 lane gridlock nightmares.The other is them parking in fire lanes, didn't know so many cabbies were firefighters in their spare time

But yea article sounds about right, see so many people drive like Andretti in the right lanes that they know are merge together, just to jump a few spaces. Southdale, Commissioners & Wellington are terrible as the numbers of lanes increases and decreases.

I wouldn't be surprised if red light cameras were seriously investigated now, considering the upcoming budget.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 10:12 PM

I'm in London for Christmas, first time I've been here in a few months...

Noticed today that utility relocation has begun on Oxford Street between Hyde Park and Sanitorium; new wooden utility poles are up further away from the road than the current ones. That's another step towards the long-awaited widening of the road.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Noticed today that utility relocation has begun on Oxford Street between Hyde Park and Sanitorium; new wooden utility poles are up further away from the road than the current ones. That's another step towards the long-awaited widening of the road.
I saw this being done on Southdale a few weeks ago between Wonderland and Warncliffe.

I believe this section will get widened next year (2013) but we won't know for sure until the budget is passed. A tax freeze could kill the project.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 2:13 AM

And wow, one day back driving in London, holy I forgot how bad drivers are here compared to where I now live. When the speed limit is 60 km/h, that doesn't mean you fluctuate wildly between 40 and 70, and swerve all over the road.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 5:24 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Coming from Toronto I honestly don't know why everyone is complaining so much about London drivers. I'm back in the Imperial Capital for Christmas, and in less than a week I've used my horn more than I would during an entire month in London. People do not check their blindspots, they do not signal, they cut you off only to drive incredibly slow, they do not obey the yield-to-the-right rule at stop signs, and worst of all they cannot stay in one lane to save their lives. I've had at least a half dozen people wander quite far into my lane, usually on multi-lane freeway ramps or on the extra-curvy Don Valley Parkway. Approaching the broken line is OK... having half your car over it is not. And don't get me started on all the German cars and small-penis compensating SUVs weaving in and out of traffic.

Oh, and this “the-three-vehicles-turning-left-after-the-light-has-turned-red” phenomenon? Clearly nobody in London has spent a couple months driving around Scarborough. This is a regular occurrence here.

EDIT: I love the guy in the LFP column who complains "Anytime you’re in a lane that ends, good luck getting in. . . . London drivers have the idea that they’re going to teach a lesson to somebody trying to merge". I've never had an issue merging in London; throw on your signal, wait 3-4 clicks and usually people will give you room. I have a feeling he's one of those people who either surges ahead of traffic in the right lane and then expects to get in, or blissfully ignores the "Lane Ends 400m... 300m... 200m..." signs and then tries to enter at the last minute. Either way, screw you. You deserve to learn a "lesson" if that's the way you drive.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Coming from Toronto I honestly don't know why everyone is complaining so much about London drivers. I'm back in the Imperial Capital for Christmas, and in less than a week I've used my horn more than I would during an entire month in London. People do not check their blindspots, they do not signal, they cut you off only to drive incredibly slow, they do not obey the yield-to-the-right rule at stop signs, and worst of all they cannot stay in one lane to save their lives. I've had at least a half dozen people wander quite far into my lane, usually on multi-lane freeway ramps or on the extra-curvy Don Valley Parkway. Approaching the broken line is OK... having half your car over it is not. And don't get me started on all the German cars and small-penis compensating SUVs weaving in and out of traffic.

Oh, and this “the-three-vehicles-turning-left-after-the-light-has-turned-red” phenomenon? Clearly nobody in London has spent a couple months driving around Scarborough. This is a regular occurrence here.

EDIT: I love the guy in the LFP column who complains "Anytime you’re in a lane that ends, good luck getting in. . . . London drivers have the idea that they’re going to teach a lesson to somebody trying to merge". I've never had an issue merging in London; throw on your signal, wait 3-4 clicks and usually people will give you room. I have a feeling he's one of those people who either surges ahead of traffic in the right lane and then expects to get in, or blissfully ignores the "Lane Ends 400m... 300m... 200m..." signs and then tries to enter at the last minute. Either way, screw you. You deserve to learn a "lesson" if that's the way you drive.
I admittedly have done very little driving in Toronto, other than on the 401, 427, and some roads in Peel and Halton Region. I have yet to drive on the Gardiner or DVP. My experiences in Peel and Halton have been positive overall.

I've had some problems with merging in London, but not a whole lot. I find the worst areas to merge are on the 401 (anywhere in Ontario) when drivers hog the right-hand lane and don't let you in. I've had to slow down to nearly a stop and honk before I could even get on the highway one time.

Kingston has a couple of situations where 2 lanes merge into 1, and it's the left lane that ends. In one case, if you turn left off Princess Street onto Concession Street, you get stuck in the left lane which ends shortly after the intersection, and all the through traffic is in the right lane. Now that is a tough merge.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 7:57 PM
Sanity merchant

I have a hemi, merging is not a problem for me And while I do drive like a jackass sometimes, of the last week that I've been really trying to see how I drive, all of them have been because I'm trying to either avoid people driving 20 under the limit (Commissioners, Wonderland, Dundas), people tailgating me so I have to speed up and pass a car in the right lane to avoid that moron (Wonderland), hammer the peddle down to get into my proper lane after having the signal on for 15 seconds as 3 cars would NOT let me merge...fuck that (Commissioners).

I feel that the people that watched me would call ME the bad driver on those fronts.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
I have a hemi, merging is not a problem for me And while I do drive like a jackass sometimes, of the last week that I've been really trying to see how I drive, all of them have been because I'm trying to either avoid people driving 20 under the limit (Commissioners, Wonderland, Dundas), people tailgating me so I have to speed up and pass a car in the right lane to avoid that moron (Wonderland), hammer the peddle down to get into my proper lane after having the signal on for 15 seconds as 3 cars would NOT let me merge...fuck that (Commissioners).

I feel that the people that watched me would call ME the bad driver on those fronts.
I've been guilty of tailgating, but only when the driver in front of me is driving under the speed limit and conditions don't require one to drive slower - or when their speed fluctuates so wildly that you can't help but tailgate part of the time. One time on a two-lane section of Southdale which is a 60 zone, I was behind a convertible fluctuating between 50 and 70, and while I was trying to do 65, every time the driver in front of me suddenly went down to 50 (for no apparent reason) I ended up on his tail for a few moments. When we got to Wharncliffe the driver poked out and yelled at me, calling me an A-hole. Well what was I supposed to do when I was trying to keep distance and he kept slamming on the brakes?

Overall, I find Londoners drive slow compared to other cities I've driven in. That might be because of our elderly population.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:47 AM
User Registered

You guys might like Canada's Worst Driver. They're doing a marathon of it on Discovery over the holiday season.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
I've been guilty of tailgating, but only when the driver in front of me is driving under the speed limit and conditions don't require one to drive slower - or when their speed fluctuates so wildly that you can't help but tailgate part of the time. One time on a two-lane section of Southdale which is a 60 zone, I was behind a convertible fluctuating between 50 and 70, and while I was trying to do 65, every time the driver in front of me suddenly went down to 50 (for no apparent reason) I ended up on his tail for a few moments. When we got to Wharncliffe the driver poked out and yelled at me, calling me an A-hole. Well what was I supposed to do when I was trying to keep distance and he kept slamming on the brakes?

Overall, I find Londoners drive slow compared to other cities I've driven in. That might be because of our elderly population.
I too, find that many drivers here in London drive far more slowly than they need to. Then you get the opposite side of the fence, where they drive way too fast, particularly near intersections. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some idiot who is at least 100-200m away from an intersection deliberately speeding up to try and catch the green light before it changes - with the end result that I'm forced to execute a turn on a yellow light, or sometimes the first second or two of a red light.

And lane discipline? Don't make me laugh.

And don't get me started on how badly mis-synchronized the traffic lights are in London when a new computer system that was bought years ago was supposed to improve timings.

Seriously, we could solve a lot of problems if most of our intersections were converted to roundabouts. The city would save tons of money not having to install, maintain, and replace traffic lights. But hell would freeze over first. Or, it would be just like the BRT proposal - 'not until 2024, and only if a senior level of government pays for it'.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:

I too, find that many drivers here in London drive far more slowly than they need to. Then you get the opposite side of the fence, where they drive way too fast, particularly near intersections. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some idiot who is at least 100-200m away from an intersection deliberately speeding up to try and catch the green light before it changes - with the end result that I'm forced to execute a turn on a yellow light, or sometimes the first second or two of a red light.

Lane discipline? Don't make me laugh.

And don't get me started on how badly mis-synchronized the traffic lights are in London.

Seriously, we could solve a lot of problems if most of our intersections were converted to roundabouts. The city would save tons of money not having to install, maintain, and replace traffic lights. But hell would freeze over first. Or, it would be just like the BRT proposal - 'not until 2024, and only if a senior level of government pays for it'.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
It depends on the stretch of road. I find anywhere along Commissioners west of Wharncliffe is prone to slow drivers. Fanshawe Park Road west of Wonderland seems to attract slow drivers as well. I remember when the speed limit was 80 there and I used to sail by drivers doing only 50 or 60. Oxford overall is good, although near Cherryhill I notice a lot of slow drivers.

And yet some roads are prone to speeders. In the west half of the city, Riverside, Sanatorium, and Sarnia Road all have numerous drivers who think the speed limit is 60 or 70. I've always agreed with those corridors having speed limits of 50 because of the amount of directly accessible residential development and nearby schools along them.

Quote:
And don't get me started on how badly mis-synchronized the traffic lights are in London when a new computer system that was bought years ago was supposed to improve timings.
It depends on what roads you're driving on. The synchronization seems to work just fine on some corridors, particularly Oxford Street. However I find some streets closer to the downtown are just awful. Heading west on Queens Ave, after crossing Richmond Street, the light at Talbot always turns red. Queens is more important than Talbot, that shouldn't be happening. Some streets have obscenely long red light times, which serve no purpose whatsoever. Maitland at Queens is a particularly bad one; Queens has very little traffic at off-peak times, and yet traffic on Maitland has to wait 2-3 minutes for the light to turn green.

The city I now live in has no light synchronization whatsoever. The positive of that is that the wait to turn left off a side street onto a main street never is more than a minute.

Quote:
I personally don't like roundabouts on arterial roads. My experience has always been that they make trips along major streets take longer than they would with a well-synchronized traffic signal system. I find they are most problematic for pedestrians. I have no issue with them on collectors and smaller streets.

By the way, another observation - Oxford at Westdel Bourne finally has a traffic light after years of lobbying from area residents. That started after an accident at that corner involving a classmate of mine from high school. She was okay in the end, but her friends pushed for that light for a long time.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:34 AM
User Registered

Roundabouts on arterials would work well in suburban residential areas. That's where they're primarily popping up in Waterloo Region.

As part of the Sunningdale Widening study, roundabouts are proposed for the Wonderland and Adelaide junctions with Richmond remaining as an intersection with a roundabout suggested as an alternative.

Roundabouts would also work well where there is a lot of turning traffic. Best Example I can think of where one would work is Wonderland and Oxford as there is room for one there if the gas stations are redesigned.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Roundabouts would also work well where there is a lot of turning traffic. Best Example I can think of where one would work is Wonderland and Oxford as there is room for one there if the gas stations are redesigned.
I would love to see a 2 lane roundabout at that intersection, would not be that much work really as the east side is at least wide open.

Does anyone know how the city feels the Hale/Trafalgar one is working?? I take it twice a day and it generally moves pretty smoothly. Granted I really wish it was a 2 lane but its better than what was there. Also 90% of people have no clue what signals to us but that seems to be getting better over time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure