HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 10:55 PM
we built this city

I can't believe they are leaving that concrete part unclad... I mean, come on, just do it all in one shot.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I can't believe they are leaving that concrete part unclad... I mean, come on, just do it all in one shot.
Ruins an otherwise great project. A massive un-renovated eyesore jutting out which looks even worse when contrasted with the rest of the building. But Emera managed to pledge half a million to sponsor the skating oval over the weekend. Very disappointed in this half-assed move.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The more and more pictures I see of this building; the more I'm impressed. I hadn't realized it was LEED Platinum. First one in the maritimes; very impressive! A pretty impressive goal.
Surely the Farmer's Market is the first? When I was speaking with Keith Tufts he said he ended up almost doubling Platinum requirements.

As for the exterior of the building being stalled, I wonder if they maybe encountered some kind of lateral structure issue? There's a fair number of seemingly-random glass panes missing, perhaps some shifting did some damage to them? Just my uninformed hypothesis.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:02 AM
Honored Member

Regarding the bare concrete section, this was posted by sdm on December 22, 2008 prior to construction. NSPI wanted to develop the extra space but wasn't permitted to by NSUARB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
News out, emera (NSPI) has been granted approval by UARB to redevelop the power station, subject to a number of conditions.

1 can't be more then 58 million to do.
2 can't be more then 110,000 square feet. Previously there were intentions that EMERA would lease space to 3rd parties.
3 lease needs to be for 40 years.

http://www.nsuarb.ca/images/stories/...%20project.pdf

I think that the bare concrete section is where the Electropolis studio was previously and this is where the new Discovery Centre will be relocated to. When they move in maybe something will be done with the bare concrete exterior.

Although this news was from a month ago, I don't think that it was posted (i.e. the $700,000 from the province, however, the Discovery Centre news was previously posted)

(source: http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20110304001 )
Province Invests in Learning, Innovation
Economic and Rural Development and Tourism

March 4, 2011 11:01 AM
Nova Scotians and tourists will have more opportunities to discover science thanks to an investment from the province.

Nova Scotia will provide $700,000 to support the Discovery Centre's move to and expansion at the new Nova Scotia Power complex on Lower Water Street, Premier Darrell Dexter announced today, March 4.

"By supporting the Discovery Centre's move, the province is helping to support innovation and hands-on learning," said Premier Dexter. "These are key aspects of jobsHere, our plan to grow the economy, and this investment ensure that the Discovery Centre continues to promote science and inspire the minds of future generations."

The funding will be provided over three years through the Department of Economic and Rural Development and Tourism.

"A new waterfront location will make the Discovery Centre one of Canada's most unique visitor experiences and a centre of excellence for informal and experiential science education for all Nova Scotians," said Dov Bercovici, president and CEO, Discovery Centre. "We are grateful to the province of Nova Scotia, one of our founding partners 26 years ago, for funding that will enable us to transition to the new location by 2013."

The Discovery Centre will move from Barrington Street to its new facility in 2013. The 40,000-square-foot location will allow expansion, improved layout and better visitor amenities, including accessibility.

"The young minds we engage in science today will be the researchers and engineers who devise solutions for our future needs as a society, including our energy needs," said Rob Bennett, president and CEO of Nova Scotia Power. "We want our new offices to be an active, inviting part of the community, and Discovery Centre is a perfect fit."

Nova Scotia Power is providing $8.5 million in support, including free rent space for 25 years.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:10 AM

People can say what ever they want about paying more for their Electricity, but the fact that the company is giving back to the community is a great thing!

Take a look at an average store in Nova Scotia, Wal-Mart, Sobeys, superstore. All they put up is a warehouse with a huge parking lot in-front of it, and in support of the odd charity.
25 years free rent is big along with the 8.5 million and then more from the government. I'm proud for Emera to do this, even if it means I pay a bit more in electricity bills.

Also just wanted to point out while we're on this discussion. with the money that the discovery center gets, they are probably going to get all new exhibits that may be brand new within the scientific community. They could sell/donate their existing exhibits to a place that can't afford or doesn't have anything like that. Even further broadening the scientific outreach.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:09 AM

The newsletter has some information about the architectural detailing including aluminum panels that should go up pretty soon. It also announces that the "official food service provider" will be a cafe called coffee and colours that currently operates out of Barrington Place across from Scotia Square. I have nothing against this cafe but I was hoping there would be more extensive food and retail operations on the ground level. The building is in such a prominent position for tourists and the expanding seawall area but it seems as though the cafe will be more for internal use than people walking in off the boardwalk. It's a shame given the potential...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
The newsletter has some information about the architectural detailing including aluminum panels that should go up pretty soon. It also announces that the "official food service provider" will be a cafe called coffee and colours that currently operates out of Barrington Place across from Scotia Square. I have nothing against this cafe but I was hoping there would be more extensive food and retail operations on the ground level. The building is in such a prominent position for tourists and the expanding seawall area but it seems as though the cafe will be more for internal use than people walking in off the boardwalk. It's a shame given the potential...
the cafe known as Coffee & Colours will not be moving from its barrington place location. The owners of Coffee & Colours will be starting a brand new retail operation in the waterfront location.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:31 AM

From today;

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a new shot from edkoler on flickr. It looks quite good from the waterfront side:

Source

The Lower Water side obviously needs a variety of improvements. Another problem is that both nearby lots (across Lower Water and the Cunard site) are undeveloped and unsightly. Hopefully that will change soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:48 AM
we built this city

Well, the renderings showed alot of landscaping... but I mean, they also didn't show that ugly ass unclad section on the back.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:36 PM

From me today:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:45 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for posting all the pictorial updates kph06.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:27 PM
we built this city

Thanks for the updates.

They are taking forever to complete the exterior.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:14 PM

Just more of the same.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:36 PM
Honored Member

Great pictures DigitalNinja. The exterior cladding has taken a long time but it has been worth the wait.

I am looking forward to seeing interior pictures - this building will be awe inspiring on the inside if the finished building comes even close to the renderings.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:41 AM

From the darkside (you know you want to join us):

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:35 PM

The new roof on B.C. Place stadium is going up faster than the cladding on this building. I can not wrap my head around why this is taking so long. When I look at the webcam shots there never seems to be more than one tiny crew (2 or 3 prople) working on a select spot at any given time. At least Emera is putting all those rate hikes to great use!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:40 PM
we built this city

Maybe they are focusing on the interior?

I thought it was supposed to open back in March?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Maybe they are focusing on the interior?

I thought it was supposed to open back in March?
Not sure why they wouldn't work on both simultaneously but you're probably right. And yes, they're well behind schedule from what I've heard.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:04 AM

I was just reading through the Metro Centre II/WTCC feasibility study comments on the Power Plant site and I'm not sure if anyone ever posted some of the information from it, but I have to say there are some very interesting pieces of information on this site - which I thought I would share as a 'now you know' moment...
  • The plant is reportedly build to withstand early atomic bomb blasts; and
  • NS Power still holds a license to generate power on the site which has been grandfathered.

That might explain why its taking so long - considering the building design and strength.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth