HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 6:03 PM

Actually it seems the projects that come out of left field get built faster with less opposition IMO. Example, SFPR and the new Port Mann. Two projects we heard very little about until they were essentially ready to build it seemed!

Projects we see renders and videos of years in advance seem to go no where, example Evergreen and Vancouver Street Car, if anything this lingering gives opposition groups more time to become larger and more powerful (and more media time) before anything happens.

Also politicians get to keep using these projects as carrots for voters who do like them, or axe them for voters who dont. Seems more politica than anyhting else IMO.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 2:02 AM

The LRT from Langley town center to Central City along the Fraser Highway corridor would be a tremendous help for commuters. However, this seems to be way off into the future given Surrey can't seem to get their act together on widening Fraser Highway through the Serpentine valley. That preload has been sitting their since 2007, and it now has deciduous trees growing on it...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
The LRT from Langley town center to Central City along the Fraser Highway corridor would be a tremendous help for commuters. However, this seems to be way off into the future given Surrey can't seem to get their act together on widening Fraser Highway through the Serpentine valley. That preload has been sitting their since 2007, and it now has deciduous trees growing on it...
That'll be done in the next year or so... preloading takes time to settle...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
That'll be done in the next year or so... preloading takes time to settle...
You're truly a changed man. lol. How likely are you to come back to Vancouver?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 9:09 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

A couple of addenments added to the KGB B-Line rfp, including fixing the details to match tybuilding's post.

Also posted by Translink is once the B-Line is up, the #394 will be discontinued, and the #320 and #321 will be reduced in service.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 9:10 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
and the #320 and #321 will be reduced in service.
I hope they realize that the scope of the 320 extends well beyond the 104th corridor.... Many people board the 320 on the 152nd Street corridor. That could end up a disastrous downgrade to people on the 152nd corridor.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I hope they realize that the scope of the 320 extends well beyond the 104th corridor.... Many people board the 320 on the 152nd Street corridor. That could end up a disastrous downgrade to people on the 152nd corridor.
Connect the 332 with 375 or extend the 332 to Fleetwood via 152th. Problem solved.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
You're truly a changed man. lol. How likely are you to come back to Vancouver?
No, I understand preloading and how that has to be done properly. I'm finishing my last semester of school (actually was in BC for a co-op involving Transportation Engineering/Planning) and there's a good chance I'm back as soon as I'm done school in Ontario, so we'll see how it goes.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 9:47 AM

Quote:
No, I understand preloading and how that has to be done properly. I'm finishing my last semester of school (actually was in BC for a co-op involving Transportation Engineering/Planning) and there's a good chance I'm back as soon as I'm done school in Ontario, so we'll see how it goes.
Neat! I'm also in engineering co-op but unfortunately never got the opportunity to do something transportation related. What was the company/organization you worked for?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:09 AM

Looks like the Fraser Hwy widening through the serpentine valley has finally commenced and completion is scheduled for Spring to Fall 2012. An excavator on the preload by the Hwy 15 and Fraser Hwy intersection was on site today. And no, the delay wasn't because the supposed pre-load covered in weeds required 5 years to settle...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 4:12 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Looks like Translink like has issued an RFP for Langley Exchange Area Plans and Exchange Concepts. Pretty interesting stuff and I'm sure some of the forumers would enjoy the details.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu...106%20rfp.ashx

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Looks like Translink like has issued an RFP for Langley Exchange Area Plans and Exchange Concepts. Pretty interesting stuff and I'm sure some of the forumers would enjoy the details.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu...106%20rfp.ashx
Does anyone know if a new transit exchange will be built in Newton to accommodate B Line bus service on King George? The bus exchange in Newton is not great as there no rain shelters.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:46 PM

I thought part of that whole transit initiative was the new exchange at Newton aka it is part of the KGB B-Line proposal. I certainly hope so because B-Line needing to go to the current Newton Exchange is scary and I'm not sure they can even do it effectively given the tight constraints.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I thought part of that whole transit initiative was the new exchange at Newton aka it is part of the KGB B-Line proposal. I certainly hope so because B-Line needing to go to the current Newton Exchange is scary and I'm not sure they can even do it effectively given the tight constraints.
I think I saw it on civicsurrey.com, but the whole SE corner of KGB and 72nd ave is planned for a massive transformation including the bus exchange being spread out along 72nd and some new roads (137st and 71ave).

In the meantime though I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw the B-line into the existing exchange with the buses continuing on 138th st/68ave before returning to KGB.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 2:16 AM
Mac User

Provinces Eyes Light Rail for Surrey

Surrey is already investigating three light routes: 104th Avenue between 152nd Street and City Centre (near the Surrey Central SkyTrain); King George Highway from City Centre to Newton (and eventually South Surrey); and Fraser Highway between City Centre and Langley.

Langley Mayor Peter Fassbender, who has been working with Watts to boost transportation options south of the Fraser, said Lekstrom’s letter is a “significant win” and expects work could begin on an LRT route as early as next year. A study is now being done, he added.

Fassbender said light rail is a better option for the two communities than SkyTrain because of the vast geography south of the Fraser and the ability to build more infrastructure at a lower cost.

TransLink, which had tentatively proposed building a six-kilometre SkyTrain from City Centre to Guildford, has estimated the cost of light rail at $27 million per kilometre versus $127 million per kilometre for the Evergreen Line and $233 million for the UBC/Broadway line.

Interesting, so if this information is correct the Evergreen Line and Surrey Light-rail could be under construction at the same time.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 2:51 AM

LRT is definitely the way to move people around in Surrey and Langley, but I don't think they should write off the idea of Skytrain acting as the spine of the system, running down the Fraser highway into Langley.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
LRT is definitely the way to move people around in Surrey and Langley, but I don't think they should write off the idea of Skytrain acting as the spine of the system, running down the Fraser highway into Langley.
I agree.

Have LRT run on a L-shaped route from Guildford -->> City Centre --> Newton, with great connections to King George & Surrey Central. Keep Fraser Highway open for future skytrain expansion to the southeast towards Langley.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 5:41 AM

Just a nitpick, I wish the media could have put those price figures in context... but no, the Vancouver Sun doesn't seem to care whether that sparks another futile and useless debate on SkyTrain vs LRT. =.="

But anyway, that sounds good I suppose? Again it's probably a good idea to both test the demand for such a service and also figure out the appropriate mode for each corridor before we start placing any random shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I agree.

Have LRT run on a L-shaped route from Guildford -->> City Centre --> Newton, with great connections to King George & Surrey Central. Keep Fraser Highway open for future skytrain expansion to the southeast towards Langley.
I also agree.

I also think that building LRT along 104 Ave and King George would be a greater savings over Skytrain vs building on Fraser Highway. Fraser Highway would need A LOT of work to make room for LRT (work that was just finished), and to get all the way to Langley you would need to build some elevated guideway at Hwy 15, Langley Bypass, CP Tracks and 200 st anyway. There are also a lot of intersections along Fraser Higway (at odd angles) which would slowdown LRT and result in much longer travel times compared to what Skytrain could deliver. Plus Fraser Highway is so vital for vehicle travel that it would cause absolute chaos and revolt if it lost any capacity to the LRT. Compare that to King George where most of the road has extra wide shoulders or space wasted with expansive greenery. I bet you could build LRT on King George for almost $27million/km, but wouldn't even come close to that on Fraser Highway.

Guildford-CC-Newton would be a fairly short system, but would have a lot of ridership, which would be good for getting a new LRT system off the ground. It also has potential for expanding it throughout Surrey: Like from Newton to Scottsdale and/or South Surrey, or from Guildford to Walnut Grove. It would also be pretty easy to expand. Once you have the infrastructure in place, expanding from Newton to 64 ave would be as simple as widening the road and putting tracks in the median; no need for mega project status and huge contracts involving thousands of workers. Once the trains are bought, the city could basically lay track whenever they improve roads (or at least leave space for tracks).

Rapid transit to Langley is going to be a long, massive, expensive project, whether it be Skytrain or LRT. But LRT inside Surrey connecting town centers is doable pretty quickly, without breaking the bank, and would have instant results.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
I don't I'm still at a toss up newton/south surrey route with skytrain and LRT on fraser. I really want to see new population/work growth numbers of south surrey/newton verus langley city/fleetwood. Cause while the long hall would be nice to have skytrain is it really worth it when it could serve more the other way? Plus white rock is more of a whole lower mainland destination they langley city cente is. So it would draw more people coming in both way all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure