HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

That marquee area and port cochere look awfully familiar, I wonder what is there now?
I think you're thinking of Lawry's -- as well from the hand of Wayne McAllister.

The above image comes from here, which emerges when you click The Stinking Rose.

As for Richlors, writes Chris Nichols in his book on Wayne McAllister: "The new owners of Richlor's chose to renovate the restaurant, an authentic product of the 1940s, into a 'fifties' cafe by grafting on an authentic 1930s-style prefabricated diner! The building was demolished in 2004."

Quote and image from one of the great books on Los Angeles and beyond: TLAoWM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:19 AM

No EXCUSE for that! I always think of this kind of, dare I say it, RAPE, of our heritage happened in the 50's and 60's. No excuse for tearing down the The ModernCraft.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
-origins of Country Club Drive, Burbank

http://wesclark.com/burbank/
Fascinating stuff, e_r! I'm almost positive that this house was occupied in the early 1990s by a co-worker of mine back then. He used to have pictures of it on his website, but evidently he's moved to another part of the country and took down his pictures of this house. Or maybe I simply couldn't find them.

I'll let him know about your post as he'd probably be interested.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I saw this Magritte-inspired bollard design recently. It's the work of a French street artist called OakOak. Now that we've reached 1000 pages, maybe we should put up something similar in Los Angeles as a tribute to ethereal_reality .

oakoak on Facebook
I'd go for that!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 6:43 AM

Quote:
No EXCUSE for that! I always think of this kind of, dare I say it, RAPE, of our heritage happened in the 50's and 60's. No excuse for tearing down the The ModernCraft.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 12:22 PM

Somewhere on Wilshire Blvd, 1927

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
It's always about economics and always will be regardless of anyone individual's or group of individuals preservation beliefs. If real estate can be put to greater economic use it will be. While many lament the loss of architectural example, it always boils down to whether an existing property can generate income through direct use or leasing to make an investment worthwhile. As long as real estate changes hands for any reason there will be changes in what was for what will be; will be may not be an improvement in the eyes of many.

Los Angeles has been the domain of real estate promoters, developers, hustlers, and sometimes charlatans; perhaps more so than any other city in the country since the early 1900s. It probably will remain so until the San Andreas fault opens up and swallows it or all business and industry packs up for elsewhere.

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; Jun 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
I think you're thinking of Lawry's -- as well from the hand of Wayne McAllister.

The above image comes from here, which emerges when you click The Stinking Rose.

As for Richlors, writes Chris Nichols in his book on Wayne McAllister: "The new owners of Richlor's chose to renovate the restaurant, an authentic product of the 1940s, into a 'fifties' cafe by grafting on an authentic 1930s-style prefabricated diner! The building was demolished in 2004."

With all due respect are you certain these two buildings are the same? Sure looks like a lot of what was Lawry's is missing in the second photo. Was the building in the first picture actually the Beverly Hills Restaurant and not of a later production facility for Lawry's Seasoned Salt and other products later marketed by the company.

This is the restaurant as it exists today and it is on La Cienega Boulevard

We all kind of missed on bringing up the fact that Lawry's and the Tam O'Shanter Inn in Burbank were both founded by the same person, Lawrence Frank. Though they sold the Lawry's Salt and other products business in 1979, the Frank family remains the owners of the restaurant in Beverly Hills an have expanded the restaurant business into a chain with a number of stores worldwide.

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; Jun 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:10 PM

If you read Beaudry's post a little more closely, you'll see that his comparison of Richlor's was to Ed Debevic's, both once at 134 N La Cienega. Their porte-cocheres and other details are the same.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
It's always about economics and always will be regardless of anyone individual's or group of individuals preservation beliefs. If real estate can be put to greater economic use it will be. While many lament the loss of architectural example, it always boils down to whether an existing property can generate income through direct use or leasing to make an investment worthwhile. As long as real estate changes hands for any reason there will be changes in what was for what will be; will be may not be an improvement in the eyes of many.

Los Angeles has been the domain of real estate promoters, developers, hustlers, and sometimes charlatans; perhaps more so than any other city in the country since the early 1900s. It probably will remain so until the San Andreas fault opens up and swallows it or all business and industry packs up for elsewhere.

Stating the obvious about the economics of preservation versus development doesn't make the loss of the building any less regrettable.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 6:42 PM

As for Lawry's

In 1938 Lawry's The Prime Rib opened at 100 N. La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills.

http://pstp-edison.com/img/exhibits/kim/25Kim04aLOW.jpg

In 1947 Lawry's restaurant moved from its original location at 100 N. La Cienega across the street and a few blocks further south to a larger, mostly windowless, strikingly modernistic building designed by Wayne McAllister at 55 N. La Cienega.

This photo from Beaudry's post:

In 1993 it moved to a new building on the original site at 100 N. La Cienega. McAllister's building is now occupied by The Stinking Rose, a well-known garlic-themed Italian restaurant. (55 N. La Cienega)

from Beaudry's link in above post

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

If you read Beaudry's post a little more closely, you'll see that his comparison of Richlor's was to Ed Debevic's, both once at 134 N La Cienega. Their porte-cocheres and other details are the same.
I believe you are correct. The Lawry's photo threw me a curve so to speak. It is indeed the same porte-codheres on both the Richlor's and Debevic's structures. Debevic obviously did nothing to actually enhance the original structure.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:16 PM

Quote:
As for Lawry's

In 1938 Lawry's The Prime Rib opened at 100 N. La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills.

In 1947 Lawry's restaurant moved from its original location at 100 N. La Cienega across the street and a few blocks further south to a larger, mostly windowless, strikingly modernistic building designed by Wayne McAllister at 55 N. La Cienega.

This photo from Beaudry's post:

In 1993 it moved to a new building on the original site at 100 N. La Cienega. McAllister's building is now occupied by The Stinking Rose, a well-known garlic-themed Italian restaurant. (55 N. La Cienega)

from Beaudry's link in above post
Another view of the original Lawry's

http://www.nwitimes.com/entertainmen...b0997434e.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:25 PM

http://petermoruzzi.files.wordpress....ation-1938.jpg

If you click the above link you'll see a different VERY LARGE size photo of the 1938 Lawry's location. (Lawry's 75th Anniversary was last year.)

On the left of the photo on the wall of the parking lot is painted in script what appears to read "The Simpson's of America," which is not in the other photo above. If that's what it says, does anyone know what that might mean?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:

Here's the grafted on 1930's-style prefabricated diner that would be on the right of the above photo--it was not used as an entrance:

Ed Debevic's was a jumpin' joint in the 80's and 90's! The wait staff was always "on" like they were in a show. They'd yell out quips, often jump on the counters and dance, do a Conga line or have a sing-a-along. They once had their signature meat loaf special, but the chefs burned it. Customers asked for it anyway and liked it and a week later "Burnt Meat Loaf" was on the menu! (I have to say, it was delicious!)

At the time, I had no idea of it's past as Richlor's.

I found this link with reminiscences of Ed's and video, too!
http://hiddenlosangeles.com/flashbac...f-ed-debevics/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Stating the obvious about the economics of preservation versus development doesn't make the loss of the building any less regrettable.
In light of the original comment regarding the building in question, "No excuse for tearing down the The ModernCraft" I think re-stating the obvious required.

Loss regrettable? Certainly, as the ModernCraft building was a remarkable example of the style.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:50 PM

I don't find that this establishment has been mentioned before:

http://pstp-edison.com/kim.html

Address is obvious!

Pokey's: Beverly Drive and Santa Monica Blvd. would be Beverly Hills.

Dated 1955.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Prime Rib....

Quote:
As for Lawry's

This restaurant has several old time signature dishes. Creamed Corn and Creamed Spinach are favorites. Menu...$$$$.

They have this huge stainless steel vehicle that grandly rolls to your table. The chef carves your slice while you watch.

This is the perfect place for our annual LA Noirish dinner or maybe Philippe the Original... the home to the famous French Dipped Sandwich [$$]. .

Lawry's images

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
On the left of the photo on the wall of the parking lot is painted in script what appears to read "The Simpson's of America," which is not in the other photo above. If that's what it says, does anyone know what that might mean?
Probably a reference to Simpson's in the Strand, London. Lots of meat.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Fascinating stuff, e_r! I'm almost positive that this house was occupied in the early 1990s by a co-worker of mine back then. He used to have pictures of it on his website, but evidently he's moved to another part of the country and took down his pictures of this house. Or maybe I simply couldn't find them.

I'll let him know about your post as he'd probably be interested.

Yup, it's me. I lived there for a little more than 19 years.

I cobbled together a page of some of my own photos of the house at 1190 Country Club Drive in Sunset Canyon above Burbank and posted it to my website: http://www.birdjanitor.com/1190.html

Jef

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos