HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:18 PM

Cool Austin | RiverSouth (425 Riverside) | 234 Feet | 15 Floors | Complete

We've known about this project since last year, but it's worthy of it's own thread now. This is the Hooters site. It's good to see projects like this south of the river.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...ef=cbTopWidget

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 20, 2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:29 PM

Here's the site plan. It was posted in the update thread a while back. The attachments have a lot of info - a better word may be minutiae.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=664784

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 10:57 PM
Meh

It reminds me of the Jawa transport. This looks like it'll be a pretty sweet building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:44 AM
World Traveler

Man, I like that one. I think it'd do great on an oddly-shaped lot as well. If my interpretation of things is correct, it appears that this one is facing S. 1st....is that correct?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:13 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It reminds me of the Jawa transport. This looks like it'll be a pretty sweet building.
Haha I was thinking the same exact thing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:28 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
21k sq.ft. of retail. That's good to hear.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:35 PM

All glass, 21k retail space, nice shape, great location, winner. Taking over a year just getting through the process to get to ground breaking, per the AAS today, not so winning.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:52 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's pretty, but it's going to make the traffic there even worse. Maybe someday it'll house a bunch of car-less people.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 1:03 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It's pretty, but it's going to make the traffic there even worse. Maybe someday it'll house a bunch of car-less people.
Unfortunately that will probably be the case until Austin folks wake up and realize that mass-transit is necessary in so many ways.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 3:24 AM

Quote:
What large new building put up anywhere in Central Austin is not going to make for increased traffic? Don't be like those NIMBYS up in Bouldin who are already having a cow about this or any other project for that area. All these new projects do is make the single family homes and property in Bouldin more valuable and more desirable.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
My first thought was did you move into the Bouldin neighborhood? This project only has 10 residential units so it can't house too many people with or without cars.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
All glass, 21k retail space, nice shape, great location, winner. Taking over a year just getting through the process to get to ground breaking, per the AAS today, not so winning.
I predict ground breaking is at least two years away.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 12:33 AM

I love this! What an amazing improvement to one of the most ugly lots in town. I hope this kicks off more development in the South Shore District.

Also, I live in Bouldin. Everyone I know in the neighborhood loathes the hooters sitting there now. Yes, it will slightly increase traffic around the neighborhood, but so does every building in and around downtown. Fighting development like this is not only selfish, but it's a loser's battle. This development will happen.

I'll be showing up to BCNA meetings to vocally support this project.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I predict ground breaking is at least two years away.
Maybe not quite that long, if they get the green light, and it takes about a year, I would think they would have all their ducks lined up so they can get started and would want to get started right afterward. I do hate waiting for ground breaking on projects I like, and I do like this one. I'm not getting any younger.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I love this! What an amazing improvement to one of the most ugly lots in town. I hope this kicks off more development in the South Shore District.

Also, I live in Bouldin. Everyone I know in the neighborhood loathes the hooters sitting there now. Yes, it will slightly increase traffic around the neighborhood, but so does every building in and around downtown. Fighting development like this is not only selfish, but it's a loser's battle. This development will happen.

I'll be showing up to BCNA meetings to vocally support this project.
I always get the feeling that when opposition arises to something like this, it's from a very loud minority. I'd bet that surveys would show that, in most cases, most of the people in the neighborhood are okay with it or simply ambivalent/unaware of it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Maybe not quite that long, if they get the green light, and it takes about a year, I would think they would have all their ducks lined up so they can get started and would want to get started right afterward. I do hate waiting for ground breaking on projects I like, and I do like this one. I'm not getting any younger.
This project needs PUD zoning. Despite the South Shore Central Framework Plan, it will remain controversial with Bouldin and their ANC allies. The zoning process alone could take a year. They will then need to get site plan approval, which will likely take at least a year as well. They could start site plan right away while zoning is pending, but if the zoning does prove to be controversial, Stream will be reluctant to invest too much money in the site plan process until they know they have their zoning. That is why I am predicting at least two years. How many recent projects (with appropriate zoning) broke ground within two years of announcement? With the exception of White Lodging hotels, not very many.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:23 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
This is from the print edition of today's Biz Journal. It shows the Schulz site development in context with its neighbors. http://www.bizjournals.com/austin

Cross-posted from the update thread.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cross-posted from the update thread.
Well maybe it's the angle, but that looks a lot worse, and generally more plain than the other renderings we've seen....

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Well maybe it's the angle, but that looks a lot worse, and generally more plain than the other renderings we've seen....
Its definitely the angle. The interesting angles are still there, just not as noticeable because of the reflective glass and glare. This is going to be the sexiest building in that part of town imo.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:22 PM
Meh

It's the same. The balcony in the upper left corner is still there, and the angled facade is still there (note the difference in the reflection on it). This also seems to show some kind of overrun on the roof, either a lattice-type structure or a glass screen wall above the roofline. This is really going to be one of the nicest new buildings we'll have. I think it's really modern.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin