HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 3:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Barton Street

Well it looks like the proposed Barton/Ferguson retail has been cut up and made smaller. The plan is to include a massive 640 parking space lot for the General Hospital. The parking lot would face Barton. The rest of the land will be on "hold".

http://hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/81FC...01PED09325.pdf

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 7:06 PM
Hammer'd

What a pile of shit. More parking for the freaking hospital.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 7:50 PM

How about raising prices in the existing facilities to increase vacancy? Another surface lot is just plain stupid.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 9:50 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

they will charge for parking on this lot. i have no doubt. Like Mohawk and Mac/HHS... parking is a big $ revenue for them. Why did the City create "NO 'street' PARKING" anywhere within 1 km of both campuses except for more then 3 hours? So that people will pay $15-20 to park on Mac/HHS property. And the City obliged them by making the walk at least 2 km for free on-street parking.

What's stupid is that Hamilton should tax surface parking lots like crazy. making parking them not viable from a business sense.. or at least worth it to us the taxpayers.

Build a parking garage then.. that will take up a fraction of the footprint and cause a fraction of the rain run-off. That.. . my friend... Tim McCabe *google alert* would conform to the Places to Grow Act. Not this stupid surface lot that you re-zoned to also include a 'drive-thru'. I guess we can expect the Tim Hortons across the street to move into your new utopia. Tim 'drive-thru' McCabe .... making Hamilton a leader in The Places to Grow.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 10:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hammer'd

What a wonderful urban design. Look at those... uh... trees. Why they called it a "parking facility" and drew a rendering of it is beyond me. Ironically, notice how the parking lot is empty and the street parking on Ferguson is packed.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 3:23 AM
Needs more coffee...

you have got to be kidding me. this can't be real.. ahhhhhh.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This is a better rendering than that for the Waterfront restaurant! Talk about mixed up priorities. How can the city spend that much time and effort on a bloody parking lot for crying out loud. Our tax dollars at work, I guess.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Build a parking garage then
Seconded, for a city of Hamilton's size you would think they would have many around the downtown, but i can only think of 1 or 2 right now. But i guess when you have so much land with nothing there, it's much cheaper to just pave it and put parking signs up.

What a great rendering also, now i can imagine myself there way before it's built

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 11:50 AM

Maybe a apartment building

I see this is a sizable property and could go for the right price considering the neighbours (Wesley).
But just think people are tired of driving and paying too much for that privilege.
There are many employees at the HGH and all the new departments.
I think a ring of townhouses or lofts would be welcome adddition for the hospital.
Build it around the property and restrict access through design. In route and out route. Green space in the middle.
Very close and easy access to waterfront Ferguson and mary pedestrian bridge. Food basics right there.
this development would bring maybe some business incorporated with the construction.
Also a Tim Hortons next door.
Better than a parking lot. And not far from Main or king Street with downtown.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 7:15 PM
Needs more coffee...

Residential could work if the design/access was done well enough.. there's so many people that drive to the General that there's actually a shuttle bus for those parking really far away... and people will do the shuttle and THEN drive home.

But nothing around besides parts of the Bayfront area is nice enough for most people to consider living in - homes are huge for single people to buy, and proximity to good schools and neighbours if they have kids is questionable.

I'm sure it would take a huge amount of remediation, but the building directly north of the hospital could undergo some sort of loft conversion as well. Get the right kind of barrier between that Burlington Street...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:02 PM

is this still going to be a parking lot? it looks like they're digging pretty deep... i thought it would be something more substantial... but i didn't even consider it being a parking lot until looking up this thread just now. anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

What's happening with the illegal parking lot at Victoria and Barton? If the hospital gets legitimate parking, won't this have even less justification for existence?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhornich View Post
is this still going to be a parking lot? it looks like they're digging pretty deep... i thought it would be something more substantial... but i didn't even consider it being a parking lot until looking up this thread just now. anyone know?
Parking lot or not it'll require brownfield cleanup.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 11:30 AM

Lots of activity

Sure lots of machines and activity right over to Timmies. There is demolition across the street with the red brick building next to the used car lot.
Does anyone have any real info. It could well be a parking lot, but what about the Canadian Tire rumour?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:39 PM

wasn't it supposed to be a wal mart or something?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 6:48 PM
Hammer'd

I am surprised that the building they are ripping down appears to be a very old building that was covered in shitty aluminum siding. I always wondered about it, too.

I'm guessing this is all part of even more space for hospital workers to stash their cars. It's getting ridiculous how much surface area they are taking in the area. Apparently demolishing the Stelwire plant (which was absolutely massive) wasn't enough.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:20 PM

Barton and Ferguson (south-east corner)

Can some one tell me what is the new construction at Barton and Ferguson?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:08 PM

More Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.Ivins View Post
Can some one tell me what is the new construction at Barton and Ferguson?
A parking lot for the Hamilton General Hospital

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:12 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues