HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:08 AM

There are a lot of people looking for houses but this project will be of no interest to them.
Those looking for rentals may find the price too high. CBC has a story about a family of 7 looking for a home for $1,800 a month !!!!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...home-1.5194476

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
There are a lot of people looking for houses but this project will be of no interest to them.
Those looking for rentals may find the price too high. CBC has a story about a family of 7 looking for a home for $1,800 a month !!!!
This is a place where you'd expect higher density development. It's right next to the bridge and bus terminal.

The article says they are looking for a 4 bedroom place for $1,800 a month. If houses were built on this location, given the land prices, they would have to be priced much higher than that to make sense economically. People who want to live in detached houses will need to pay a large premium to live in the inner city, or they can look at the abundance of cheap suburban areas nearby.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:34 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Instead of the six separate lowrise buildings I'd rather see one large building wrapping around the perimeter of the site with a centre courtyard.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:42 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Instead of the six separate lowrise buildings I'd rather see one large building wrapping around the perimeter of the site with a centre courtyard.
What if it was 2 buildings so it opened it up just a bit more. Like Dartmouth's own Toronto City Hall/Nathan Phillips Square. Hell, I'd really welcome the skating rink portion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:26 PM

When I saw what is proposed for this site, I thought of the Gladstone Street development, tall buildings in back of townhouses at street level. The developer could have the same number of people living there, just set up in a more inviting neighborhood. The way that Fares has this envisioned, they could probably still accommodate the Bill Lynch show (or at least it would not look out of place).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:08 PM

Only tangentially related to this, I was driving on Wyse Rd today and on the adjacent corner where the old Tim Horton's once stood I caught a glimpse of a HRM Development Agreement sign, but I was past it before I could see any details. I don't recall seeing anything about that one here. Anyone know the scoop?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:19 PM

This may be the one with the proposed built-in Tim Hortons drive Thru. There had been a article in the media about it a few months ago.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:37 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
This may be the one with the proposed built-in Tim Hortons drive Thru. There had been a article in the media about it a few months ago.
That's the one.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:12 AM

Ah, I had forgotten about that. There's already a thread HERE.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:17 AM

With another Tims drive through two blocks away, the warmest August on record, and a hose pipe ban in Dartmouth two years in a row, these drive throughs are just plain stupid.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
With another Tims drive through two blocks away, the warmest August on record, and a hose pipe ban in Dartmouth two years in a row, these drive throughs are just plain stupid.
The one across the street requires a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic. During rush hour that is rather problematic. The water restrictions in Dartmouth have far more to do with the abject incompetence of Halifax Water than anything else. Be careful not to let that dogma bite you.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The one across the street requires a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic. During rush hour that is rather problematic. The water restrictions in Dartmouth have far more to do with the abject incompetence of Halifax Water than anything else. Be careful not to let that dogma bite you.
Incompetent performance of the rain dance?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 4:14 AM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:30 PM

Years behind schedule, since apparently they let the contractor take his sweet time finishing the thing. Also (since HW does not say much I can only assume this is still true) the water line slung under the Macdonald bridge has been out of service since the Big Lift project because Halifax Water let the pumping station go out of service and has not recommissioned it. The simple fact that no other area serviced by them has had water restrictions while Dartmouth has them annually is clear evidence of either their ineptitude or just plain and simple contempt for Dartmouth ratepayers. The fact that Sam "I Am" Austin throws his hands up and blames the weather gods in spite of the clear and ample proof of Halifax Water's inaction being responsible for putting his constituents in this position every year is further reason to make him a one-and-done councillor.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Don't let your Karma run over my dogma.

Hose pipe ban in Dartmouth and they have sprinklers on the Wanderers Grounds, Dartmouth really is a bridge too far.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Don't let your Karma run over my dogma.

Hose pipe ban in Dartmouth and they have sprinklers on the Wanderers Grounds, Dartmouth really is a bridge too far.
Yet that bridge has a water main underneath the deck that is apparently not in use because Halifax Water just couldn't be bothered bringing it back into service after the Big Lift. Dartmouthians should be screaming bloody murder but their elected Council members are all very supportive of the incompetent bureaucracy and will not say boo.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Yet that bridge has a water main underneath the deck that is apparently not in use because Halifax Water just couldn't be bothered bringing it back into service after the Big Lift. Dartmouthians should be screaming bloody murder but their elected Council members are all very supportive of the incompetent bureaucracy and will not say boo.
People are asking questions as to why Dartmouth has to suffer and they remember the pipe was built to send water to Halifax when they had shortages.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:36 PM

They need to fast track this development and get it going - it would do wonders for this part of Halifax which is in desperate need of an image cleanup!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:21 PM

This seems to be called Harbour Gardens now, new rendering but no details yet, available here: Ghosn Group

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:31 PM

I can't find this one on the Halifax Planning website anymore. Does anyone know what happened to it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth