Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Do they know they could have a building build for them (for free) if they put a few hundred employees in Camden?
And maybe can get them to pay to get Patco to extend their line to the area and 30th street

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Do they know they could have a building build for them (for free) if they put a few hundred employees in Camden?
Ha, seriously.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? They probably could get the city's name changed to Comcastden.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:28 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
There are three caisson rigs on site as of today.
Those three drill rigs are currently drilling for the soldier piles which is part of the sheeting and shoring system for excavation. Most projects I have worked on used drill rigs to drill for the soldier piles. After installation of the soldier pile, concrete is poured to keep them in place.

Unless you are referring to three drills not seen in any of the pics.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jul 31, 2014 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:12 AM

Taken yesterday:
233 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

230 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

228 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

227 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

220 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

219 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

217 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

215 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Kennedy House is good for something:
237 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:47 PM
Chairman

Thanks for the detailed photos. So far I do not see any rebar cages for caissons however there is a rig drilling towards the center of the site. This could be for a caisson or possibly a shoring system for a ramp which would provide access for equipment into the excavated hole. We will find out.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jul 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Thanks for the detailed photos. So far I do not see any rebar cages for caissons however there is a rig drilling towards the center of the site. This could be for a caisson or possibly a shoring system for a ramp which would provide access for equipment into the excavated hole. We will find out.
The Cook Drilling rig pictured above is drilling a test shaft (caisson) to verify the design parameters for the proposed caisson foundations. This is typically a sacrificial caisson that gets tested then abandoned. Once the results of the test are provided, installation of production shafts may begin. They may opt to wait until the excavation support is completed and install caissons from a lower elevation and gain access via a ramp to the bottom.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
The Cook Drilling rig pictured above is drilling a test shaft (caisson) to verify the design parameters for the proposed caisson foundations. This is typically a sacrificial caisson that gets tested then abandoned. Once the results of the test are provided, installation of production shafts may begin. They may opt to wait until the excavation support is completed and install caissons from a lower elevation and gain access via a ramp to the bottom.
So it looks like everyone guessing up till now may have been partially correct.

What we need, here, is someone with inside information on what's actually occurring.

Is Nightman the right man?
[See how I made that rhyme? ]

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:44 PM

My three favorite phases of skyscraper construction....(1) When they start digging...like now, (2) When the first glass goes on, (3) When they top off an the glass is nearly done. Yes....

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So it looks like everyone guessing up till now may have been partially correct.

What we need, here, is someone with inside information on what's actually occurring.

Is Nightman the right man?
[See how I made that rhyme? ]
I was just taking an educated guess since I work in the construction industry. I figured since there was three Cook Drilling rigs on site and also a smaller rig which seemed to be doing percussion testing, which is used to determine the depth of the caissons typically. But it would make sense to go with a mat foundation on a project like this due to the excavation so i guess only time will tell unless someone has their hands on a set of structural drawings for this one.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:09 AM

So here is the official version: It will be a combination foundation system. Unlike the first comcast Tower which utilized a mat system, for this building the large off-center core will be situated on a concrete mat and the columns will land upon caissons.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
And maybe can get them to pay to get Patco to extend their line to the area and 30th street
About that. That would be tremendous and open up the potential for PATCO being used within Philly. I don't live in NJ and have never used PATCO. It seems like if you live in Jersey, it's useful. But otherwise, once it crosses into Philly, it doesn't really go anywhere. If it went to 30th St however, I think it could attract Philly-based riders (i.e., one could pick it up at 9th and take it to 30th).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso975 View Post
... the large off-center core will be situated on a concrete mat and the columns will land upon caissons.
'Thats what SHE said'

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 1:53 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso975 View Post
So here is the official version: It will be a combination foundation system. Unlike the first comcast Tower which utilized a mat system, for this building the large off-center core will be situated on a concrete mat and the columns will land upon caissons.
How thick will the concrete mat be to house such a large and heavy structure on it?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 8:23 PM
America's Hometown

To think...we briefly considered taking an apartment in The Sterling once we sell our house...I could have had a front row seat for this...however...the apartment they showed us that we could afford still had it's 1962 bathroom in it which was a major turn off. The units are surprisingly big and lots of closet space...and watching this from the apt could have been entertaining. However, we would still need to keep one car and the cost to park it put it out of reach for us...at least for now.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
To think...we briefly considered taking an apartment in The Sterling once we sell our house...I could have had a front row seat for this...however...the apartment they showed us that we could afford still had it's 1962 bathroom in it which was a major turn off. The units are surprisingly big and lots of closet space...and watching this from the apt could have been entertaining. However, we would still need to keep one car and the cost to park it put it out of reach for us...at least for now.
They probably would have relocated you at some point while they renovate that bathroom as well. I know several people at the Sterling right now, and it's not a pleasant place to live with all the [needed] renovating. Separate from the renovations, Aimco is doing to the building, Comcast construction is also loud and burdensome for those residents.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 9:32 PM

Its nice to see a lot of progress after a week of vacation.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 10:46 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
They probably would have relocated you at some point while they renovate that bathroom as well. I know several people at the Sterling right now, and it's not a pleasant place to live with all the [needed] renovating. Separate from the renovations, Aimco is doing to the building, Comcast construction is also loud and burdensome for those residents.
They also advertised that the units were 1500+ for a one bedroom but that is one that isn't renovated. Once it is the price jumps up. I wasn't too keen on living in that part of CC....but we thought we would investigate it. My office relocates to Newtown Square next spring so I need to keep a car if I live in town.

Were your friends upset over the pool being closed all summer. That would have ticked me off and would ask for discount on the rent.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 10:47 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Its nice to see a lot of progress after a week of vacation.
I'm impressed how fast the whole process has been...I mean they only proposed it last winter and it's already under construction. This has to be a record for Philadelphia.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I'm impressed how fast the whole process has been...I mean they only proposed it last winter and it's already under construction. This has to be a record for Philadelphia.
When Comcast says "Build!", Philadelphia says "How high?" and rightfully so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture