HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
After considering moving to the Big East, Air Force will stay put in the Mountain West, a league it helped create.
IMO the Big East is after Navy and Air Force as a way to ensure AQ remains. To pull AQ from two service academies would be a low blow that would ensure political action. Of course the BCS has taught me to be cynical about every move. IMO w/out Navy and AF, still no cakewalk with the states of California, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Kentucky, and Connecticut involved. If we were talking Wyoming, Idaho, and New Mexico consider it yanked. IMO, to keep BE AQ, improve the play and catch up to the ACC numbers, (not impossible, ACC has struggled) and keep the threat of political action in the minds of the schmucks.

Quote:
it sure is nice to be shrouded in the warm comfy blanket of the PAC.
No doubt. Utah and Colorado have been big winners in realignment and I would be thankful too.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:51 AM

The BEast move was a no-brainer for Boise State. The MWC has absolutely nothing to offer. Outside of TCU, the competition level was equal to or less than that of the WAC. Actually, I missed the WAC. The television coverage and marketing was far, far greater. I think being in the MWC this year not only hurt us fans in means of coverage but also the team in recruiting.

The BEast not only helps with television coverage, it also helps Boise State reach into the East Coast at even greater lengths. We can say hello to ESPN again (possibly others) and for the immediate short term have a possible automatic AQ status to earn. Very win-win if you ask me!

Traveling isn't an issue for me. I think it will be hard to get fans to get to the East Coast when games are scheduled there, but face it, the team won't be traveling any farther than they are used to. We already have to play the big boys in their backyards anyways.

And besides, this takes off pressure for Boise State. We can be ranked only 23 and still make a BSC bowl. Hahahaha

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I don't see how they can keep their AQ status, losing their best teams and stringing together this group of misfits. The only thing I see that might have them keep their AQ status is that it doesn't seem there's any other league that could take it away from them now that the Mountain West conference has disintegrated. Will the BCS just drop the number of conferences that automatically qualify if the Big Least and no other conference measures up?
If and when the BEast loses their AQ status, the bigger picture will be the entire BCS crumbling anyways. As late as Thursday there was talk from influential commissioners that AQ status for every conference will go away. So, really, it shouldn't matter.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 2:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

That would be even worse for Boise, I think. At least, it would certainly matter. We're a long long ways from any sort of playoff. So if the AQs crumble, what you're looking at would probably be a flat we-take-the-top-10 of the BCS standings. That may sound good to you right now, and if you were to back out of the Big East, it might sound good to you again. But when was the last time you saw a Big East team land in the top-10? You'll be moving to a more difficult schedule (not as difficult as, say, the Big 12, but certainly a higher chance of losing against a conference opponent on any given week). In exchange, you lose the AQ? That would be all sorts of bad for Boise - you'd end up with a much harder path into the BCS than you enjoy today. West Virginia is 23rd in the BCS...without AQ, there is absolutely no chance they make it. That could be your future.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
That would be even worse for Boise, I think. At least, it would certainly matter. We're a long long ways from any sort of playoff.
I agree, it would be worse for Boise and a playoff is a long way off. IMO, it is worse not just for Boise, but 75 other schools. The new scenario would benefit the SEC and another dozen schools that would be invited to the mNCG.

Quote:
So if the AQs crumble, what you're looking at would probably be a flat we-take-the-top-10 of the BCS standings.
No, if the AQs crumble, it is every conference for itself in negotiating bowl contracts. PAC 12 and Big 10 lock up the Rose Bowl, but whose to say the other large bowls would not all sign agreements with the SEC. Meaning the SEC gets 5 of the 6 top bowl games, while the rest of the conferences are each given one shot. Big East may get no shot. Yankee Stadium with the ACC #2 or #3, who knows? To dissolve the BCS and not go to a playoff is the perfect scenario for the SEC, JMHO.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
The BEast move was a no-brainer for Boise State. The MWC has absolutely nothing to offer. Outside of TCU, the competition level was equal to or less than that of the WAC. Actually, I missed the WAC. The television coverage and marketing was far, far greater. I think being in the MWC this year not only hurt us fans in means of coverage but also the team in recruiting.

The BEast not only helps with television coverage, it also helps Boise State reach into the East Coast at even greater lengths. We can say hello to ESPN again (possibly others) and for the immediate short term have a possible automatic AQ status to earn. Very win-win if you ask me!

Traveling isn't an issue for me. I think it will be hard to get fans to get to the East Coast when games are scheduled there, but face it, the team won't be traveling any farther than they are used to. We already have to play the big boys in their backyards anyways.

And besides, this takes off pressure for Boise State. We can be ranked only 23 and still make a BSC bowl. Hahahaha

Except the bold part. I think being hidden away on the mtn, hurt Moore, Martin, and co. I feel bad that we have so many studs on this team that received little to no national publicity. Maybe hurt fans without direct tv. I might disagree about recruiting. The CA commits are solid as ever, the coaches have reached a new level of talent in TX with the current commits, and Patti from Florida could be super special. I am not ready to say it hurt us in recruiting, unless you know some of the feedback high school juniors are giving us. Our stay in the MWC ended yesterday in the minds of future recruits. Extremely short time period to have a lasting effect on high school player's minds, JMHO.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:48 PM

I see your points but I also feel like being shadowed by the MWC tv coverage, or lack thereof, kept us out of view to some of the hidden gems that may otherwise be able to watch us nationally.

As for the BCS going kaboom and hurting BSU, well, it is hard to tell the future. I think though that when the bomb does tick down you would want to be in a BCS conference rather than not be.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:49 PM

True. I like both your points. ESPN is such a love/hate relationship for me. And, having Kustra establish deeper relationships with Univ. Presidents from across the country can't be a negative. In a meltdown situation it may not guarantee a perfect landing for Boise State, but may be the difference in a bumpy arrival instead of disaster.

BTW, love your avatar.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:36 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
That would be even worse for Boise, I think. At least, it would certainly matter. We're a long long ways from any sort of playoff. So if the AQs crumble, what you're looking at would probably be a flat we-take-the-top-10 of the BCS standings. That may sound good to you right now, and if you were to back out of the Big East, it might sound good to you again. But when was the last time you saw a Big East team land in the top-10? You'll be moving to a more difficult schedule (not as difficult as, say, the Big 12, but certainly a higher chance of losing against a conference opponent on any given week). In exchange, you lose the AQ? That would be all sorts of bad for Boise - you'd end up with a much harder path into the BCS than you enjoy today. West Virginia is 23rd in the BCS...without AQ, there is absolutely no chance they make it. That could be your future.
I can think of 10 millions reasons per year why even in that scenario we're still far better off than we are in the MWC. While BCS access is fantastic, that's only about 25% of why we are joining the Big East.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 8:04 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

And 75% is money? Or, 50% money, 25% exposure, maybe. Well, at least you're honest about it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 4:00 AM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 7:48 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Fascinating... except that they only rank the top-25 BCS schools, which itself is sort of pointless. And 3-of-4 criteria judging academics have to do with race, which I find a little odd.

According to New America's website, four factors are calculated in the rankings: The football team's graduation rate relative to the school overall; the difference between black and white graduation rates on the team; the difference between black and white graduation rates at the school overall; and the difference between the graduation rates of black players on the football team and the school's overall black student population.

Not knocking Boise State at all, but the comments on the study webpage are more useful than the report itself. It would be more helpful if they at least included all of the FBS in their findings. It isn't like their methodology is so complex that it'd take much more effort...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 4:26 PM

It is what it is. Regardless, it still give more credit due to what your willing to put forth.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 8:31 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Pac-12 could halt SEC's reign
Infusion of cash, coaching talent has Pac-12 poised to become nation's best league

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-f...conference-cfb

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Pac-12 could halt SEC's reign
Infusion of cash, coaching talent has Pac-12 poised to become nation's best league

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-f...conference-cfb
Except the best recruits come from the southeast ...and Texas. Anyone who thinks the SEC won't continue to dominate isn't thinking straight. The highest paid PAC12 coach makes like 2.8mill? (USC doesn't report but Lane Kiffin probably gets more than that)

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 3:42 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Except the best recruits come from the southeast ...and Texas.
And given the right incentives, would be more than happy to move to Los Angeles or Phoenix... Ever seen Alabama or Mississippi? Yikes.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
ColoRADo

CSU to name Alabama's Jim McElwain new head football coach, sources say

Source

Quote:
By Chris Dempsey - Denver Post

Colorado State will name Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain its next football coach, according to two sources with knowledge of the hiring.

The Rams on Tuesday will introduce McElwain at a noon news conference.

McElwain replaces Steve Fairchild, who was 16-33 in four season with CSU. The Rams were 3-9 in each of the past three seasons.

McElwain joined Alabama in 2008, coming from Fresno State, where he was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach in 2007.

In 2006, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders. He served as assistant head coach, receivers coach and special teams coach at Michigan State from 2003-05.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Why oh why would he take that job? Good for CSU, though.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Why oh why would he take that job? Good for CSU, though.
Well, he's interviewed several places with no luck. Fresno St. Southern Miss, Memphis, and CU.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:17 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West