HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:24 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Jakarta

Last year, I transited in Jakarta for half a day, and this year, I returned for a more in-depth visit.

Unlike most of Southeast Asia, Indonesia has its wet season during the winter.

The city isn't very densely built-up yet, and its sidewalks are absolutely horrible for a walking tour.

MONAS is a major monument with a huge square surrounding it. Many residents were enjoying the public space on their holiday. I took particular notice of the street market offering lots of local dishes.

Traffic here can get quite tough, although they have made some attempts to make things more tolerable with a dedicated busway and a metro under construction.

Still hopeful for a sunset, I went up to a sky bar to enjoy a sip after sweating it out on the streets below.

SCBD is an under development new office district that will hopefully feature a metro stop later.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/jakarta.htm

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:06 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow, I love all your skyline shots! That skyline appears to be growing rapidly.

How does this city compare to other SE Asian mega cities? I know it's not 1st class, leading the world like Sinpagore or Tokyo but is it as poor or doing better than Manila, Bangkok, Taipei?

Is the country rapidly modernizing or taking a long time?

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:21 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Wow, I love all your skyline shots! That skyline appears to be growing rapidly.

How does this city compare to other SE Asian mega cities? I know it's not 1st class, leading the world like Sinpagore or Tokyo but is it as poor or doing better than Manila, Bangkok, Taipei?

Is the country rapidly modernizing or taking a long time?

Thanks for posting.
Manila and Jakarta are probably along the same line in terms of bad infrastructure, although I believe Manila may be slightly ahead. Taipei is far more advanced and should be classified as developed by now. Bangkok isn't known for good transport either but they have more train lines going so it is possible to take public transport, while for Jakarta, driving is really necessary.

Jakarta isn't a very dense city actually. There are still plenty of lowrise neighbourhoods in the city centre, and the city just sprawls out incredibly.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:42 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:26 AM
Hong Kong

Development scatters and there are many skyscraper clusters but not a really defined centre. I use the large malls as a guidance point to get around. Here are some views from near Grand Indonesia.

The Skye bar sits on the top floor of the BCA Tower, offering nice views towards the south. It was quiet up here during the mid-afternoon, possibly because of the sudden heavy showers that passed through an hour earlier.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/jakarta.htm

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 1:58 AM
Hong Kong

There are interesting museums in Kota. Museum Bank Mandiri occupies an art deco structure and showcases the bank's history from a historic banking hall down to money counting machines.

The Chinese were known for their accounting skills back during the colonial era, and they were hired to manage money in this "Chinese" room.

The Dutch colonialists were here to extract Indonesia's natural resources.

A huge collection of vintage machinery sprinkles throughout the huge building.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:48 AM
BANNED

I love Indonesia so much, and nasi padang is the best cuisine in the world, but it really does such how car oriented the city is.

If Jakarta is anything like other Indo urban areas the low rise residential communities are actually fairly dense and walkable, however they're isolated by huge expressways. (Kind of like Los Angeles)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:17 PM
Hong Kong

Next door, the Museum Bank Indonesia offers a more modern interactive experience, tracing the country's financial services industry from the colonial trade to the 1997 financial crisis.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:27 PM
Hong Kong

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos