HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 12:40 AM
St. Louis. Bitch.

I loved every pic. Wheeling is such a great town from a visual perspective. Such a weird town otherwise. Love it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I think it is easy to notice the wholesale abandonment of downtown Wheeling in its street retail sector. That is typical of many threads where you can imagine that not far from town are a number of shopping malls where business is brisk, parking lots are filled with cars. The same cookie cutter homedwellers need the repetitious architecture of a Walmart or Sam's Club to satisfy the urge for sameness.
A gigantic suburban shopping development opened a few miles east of Wheeling a few years ago.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
A gigantic suburban shopping development opened a few miles east of Wheeling a few years ago.
That'll do it.

I guess it has to do with the lure of new tax dollars. If only the same folks who run the political show could wake up to the fact that a mall type setting could be created in the downtown. Why not use existing structures and enhance the environment of a downtown and thus avoid sprawly waste of space in the countryside?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 6:53 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
That'll do it.

I guess it has to do with the lure of new tax dollars. If only the same folks who run the political show could wake up to the fact that a mall type setting could be created in the downtown. Why not use existing structures and enhance the environment of a downtown and thus avoid sprawly waste of space in the countryside?
They did try to create a mall downtown linking the department stores together. Downtown Wheeling had 7 department stores in the 1950s. The downtown mall never happened of course because our dumb politicians failed. So ultimately they built a big mall with over 100 stores just a few miles west in Ohio in 1979. Now it has numerous shopping plazas surrounding it etc. And they built the Highlands just east of Wheeling outside the city limits which is what Evergrey was referring to. So the city is being squeezed dry even faster than ever.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 11:30 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
That'll do it.

Most developers aren't capable/willing to use the creative thinking you're referring to - those countryside sites allow them to plop down whatever square footage they want in their shareholder-approved footprints, without having to consider any existing context. Those running the political show in places where the population is stagnant $ee only one thing and don't dare risk putting the developers off.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 8:18 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Thanks everyone.

I agree it sucks that such historic old towns like Wheeling have taken what might be a near fatal blow from the sprawl surrounding them. So sad.

Wheels, I appreciate the extra info.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 5:15 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Thanks everyone.

I agree it sucks that such historic old towns like Wheeling have taken what might be a near fatal blow from the sprawl surrounding them. So sad.

Wheels, I appreciate the extra info.
No problem Thanks for your amazing urban photography of an array of cities small and large! Truly I can't say that enough.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos