HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 4:31 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I'm not shocked at Thunder Bay's 13%, having spent all of my summers growing up there, but I'm quite shocked at Winnipeg's 12%. That's a really significant population. I think as far as possible First Nation's Mecca's go, Winnipeg is it. Just due to its sheer size and continuing impressive growth numbers making it now the 7th largest metro in the country, and easily the next metro to hit a million. It will be pretty cool to have a metro over a million with over 10% indigenous population. I hope Winnipeg can find/formulate strategies to better deal with the social, emotional, and financial issues too commonly faced by indigenous people. Regardless, this phenomenon could - and likely will - lead to the formation of a really interesting regional culture in the decades and centuries to come

EDIT: Also, are these metropolitan or municipal numbers? Either way, that would be 86 000 in the municipality, or around 101 000 in the metro. Very impressive numbers, regardless.
I used the city-proper numbers. Thunder Bay's CMA includes a reserve which makes our measure even higher, while Winnipeg's doesn't.

It's beyond cities to deal with the issues faced by Indigenous people, we can treat symptoms to a degree but so much of the problem is national in scope and requires a national response.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada