HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't expect this to start until the Maple is complete, haven't heard any news on it lately though tbh.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I wouldn't expect this to start until the Maple is complete, haven't heard any news on it lately though tbh.
The Maple should be completed this year yeah? Or early next year? Seems to be going fairly well these days eh

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:11 PM
Steven Courchene

I hope south west doesn't disappoint us in the development as I think this project plus the queens marquee would just bring so much to our down town and board walk!!! lets fill in the gaps.

Steven Courchene

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:04 PM

I have total confidence in Southwest. Serious developers. It'll get done, IMHO.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 4:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that this one is still going to move forward but that it will take a year or two. Maybe they will wait until Maple is done and Pavilion is well under construction. A couple of years ago they announced a very aggressive time schedule that involved starting the Cunard Block soon after Maple but the Maple construction was delayed, and it's very rare that local developers seem to meet schedules like that.

Another similar schedule was the Mary Ann and Margaretta. If I remember correctly, at one point the developer said they'd start up the second building maybe 8-12 months after the construction start of the Mary Ann. Developers also often give really optimistic schedules for completing large buildings, like 12-16 months, but they tend to take 2-3 years from start to finish. I guess that helps sell condos.

The typically slower than anticipated pace of development in Halifax is one of the reasons why I don't think a boom and bust cycle to development is as likely as in other cities. There are a lot of buildings proposed and under construction right now but they all spend a lot of time in the pipeline and only a handful are completed during a given year. Meanwhile, the city grows by 4,000-5,000 people per year and an increasing share of people in the city seem to want to live in an urban setting.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that this one is still going to move forward but that it will take a year or two. Maybe they will wait until Maple is done and Pavilion is well under construction. A couple of years ago they announced a very aggressive time schedule that involved starting the Cunard Block soon after Maple but the Maple construction was delayed, and it's very rare that local developers seem to meet schedules like that.

Another similar schedule was the Mary Ann and Margaretta. If I remember correctly, at one point the developer said they'd start up the second building maybe 8-12 months after the construction start of the Mary Ann. Developers also often give really optimistic schedules for completing large buildings, like 12-16 months, but they tend to take 2-3 years from start to finish. I guess that helps sell condos.

The typically slower than anticipated pace of development in Halifax is one of the reasons why I don't think a boom and bust cycle to development is as likely as in other cities. There are a lot of buildings proposed and under construction right now but they all spend a lot of time in the pipeline and only a handful are completed during a given year. Meanwhile, the city grows by 4,000-5,000 people per year and an increasing share of people in the city seem to want to live in an urban setting.
Totally agree. Great post.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The developer intends to submit a planning application for this one in the fall. I'm looking forward to seeing more detailed plans.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anyone know if there are plans to begin construction on this one soon? I think there was a period of time when the Maple was still under construction and Pavilion and Curve were being excavated or were even fully under construction.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 12:28 PM

It seems to have fallen into the black hole of WDC ineptitude. And I can no longer find any reference to it on HRM's website, since the search engine doesn't seem to work either. Maybe it never really happened.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 12:32 PM

Funny, AllNS had a story on this literally this week. It's going to start when the YMCA site is done. Likely next summer.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:56 PM

It still requires approval from the DRC though before any work can begin.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It seems to have fallen into the black hole of WDC ineptitude. And I can no longer find any reference to it on HRM's website, since the search engine doesn't seem to work either. Maybe it never really happened.
It's still up on the WDC and Southwest websites. Southwest is on a roll lately. I remember an article that quoted Jim Spatz a while ago talking about how they were planning multiple major projects and how he thought there was pent-up demand for hundreds of units in good quality modern downtown buildings. It turns out that hypothesis was correct. They had no problem renting out units in the Maple.

I wonder if summer's the start of excavation or the start of footings?

Another interesting question is how much they want to renovate the space just south of Bishop's Landing to integrate the two developments. It is relatively easy for them to do a good job there because they run both buildings.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's still up on the WDC and Southwest websites.
All the Southwest site says is that they will design something for the site, no renderings or the like are shown.

Does anyone know if it will still look like a cruise ship run hard aground onto the shoreline?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is the latest rendering I have seen:

Dated 2014! https://haligonia.ca/cunard-block-de...c-15th-100299/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:48 PM

AllNS article said they'd be hiring an architect closer to the DRC submission. So renderings to-date must just be concepts.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 6:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The stakes have been raised since 2014. Maybe it'll be all sandstone and Muntz metal now.

I am not sure how much flexibility there is to change the design at this point. Is the building envelope essentially fixed or could that still change? I assume they'll want to build up to the maximum allowed height. One feature that would be interesting would be some kind of outdoor walkway to break up the footprint, similar to what Queen's Marque has.

I hope someone one day builds a waterfront archway in homage to the old ones that were demolished. This could work great on the large Salter site, and was part of Southwest's Salter bid.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Ha! WDC is too busy bringing high speed internet to rural NS. Care to predict how that will work out?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Ha! WDC is too busy bringing high speed internet to rural NS. Care to predict how that will work out?
I hear they are developing a tender document to string twisted-pair cable around the province that should be done in 20 years or so.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 12:55 PM

I believe a summer/fall 2019 start on site is realistic. I wonder if WDC wants to re-use the seabridge at this location when construction gets going.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I believe a summer/fall 2019 start on site is realistic. I wonder if WDC wants to re-use the seabridge at this location when construction gets going.
The rebuilt the boardwalk around this site a few years back and widened it with the idea that it would not have to be shut down during construction on this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth