HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:32 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Would be nice to see Hamilton catch back up to Yonge and Eglinton height wise... but good designs are more important.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
I'm betting it's 45 King East you speak of

No, the project I've seen hasn't yet been mentioned on here. Not sure when an announcement will come.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:43 AM

One cool thing to keep in mind with this Television City project is the piece of land it sits on. Those measurements done up by a previous poster show that 40 floors with a modern ceiling height could just edge out Century 21 as our new tallest.

However, visually it will appear to be much taller than Century 21 due to the fact that the CHCH property sits at an elevation 55 feet higher than Century 21. So, basically 40 floors at this location will feel like 45 when comparing to Century 21.

Click on any location for the elevation here:
http://en-ca.topographic-map.com/pla...milton-812832/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg2016 View Post
I think Lamb should go 60 floors on this one, taller than the escarpment with 360 views for the public to see on top, man if only he could see this message, don't miss the opportunity
Would the city even allow that? would the durand association allow that?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:54 PM

So maybe I'm just a pessimist or maybe because I've owned a condo in this city but this is too ambitious and he will overshoot the market.

600 a square foot. You need a lot of investors at that point to turn these into rentals.
A 600 square foot unit will be 360,000 plus parking at these prices, plus closing fees, upgrades and land transfer you are over 400,000.

To carry that with 20% down it would be:

1400 - mortgage (320,000 mortgage at 2.5%).
300 - condo fees
250'- property taxes

Carry this place is 1950/month. Works in Toronto. Rents are way lower here. Job market is much softer and we don't have the high end jobs that Toronto does.

Coupled with the new foreign buyer tax, rent control etc I'm going to be surprised if this projects ends the way it is being proposed. Lots of condos coming to the market in next few years let's see if market can actually absorb them all.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:45 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
So maybe I'm just a pessimist or maybe because I've owned a condo in this city but this is too ambitious and he will overshoot the market.

600 a square foot. You need a lot of investors at that point to turn these into rentals.
A 600 square foot unit will be 360,000 plus parking at these prices, plus closing fees, upgrades and land transfer you are over 400,000.

To carry that with 20% down it would be:

1400 - mortgage (320,000 mortgage at 2.5%).
300 - condo fees
250'- property taxes

Carry this place is 1950/month. Works in Toronto. Rents are way lower here. Job market is much softer and we don't have the high end jobs that Toronto does.

Coupled with the new foreign buyer tax, rent control etc I'm going to be surprised if this projects ends the way it is being proposed. Lots of condos coming to the market in next few years let's see if market can actually absorb them all.
Hamilton still has a small supply of condo production compared to Ottawa or Winnipeg from what I see. Those cities might be growing a bit faster, but not to the level to make that much of a difference. This one might be a bit on the big side, but it's not ridiculous.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Hamilton still has a small supply of condo production compared to Ottawa or Winnipeg from what I see. Those cities might be growing a bit faster, but not to the level to make that much of a difference. This one might be a bit on the big side, but it's not ridiculous.
There is a difference though. Ottawa has highest income of any city in this country, with two job areas that pay a lot. Federal government and Ottawa.

Lamb also took a stab at Ottawa few years ago and one of the highest priced condos in that city and it didn't do that well in terms of investments.

There are two areas where condos do well in this country - GTA AND Gvr. If you are looking at around 400k for 1 bed room condos it will take a while to sell. 600 square foot is. Ore than Mississauga or Vaughn - places close to major job hubs. The job market downtown Hamilton is not downtown Ottawa.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
A two phase project of over 20 stories of each tower, featuring a minimum of 9 foot ceilings, balconies with every unit, private dog park, huge gym and pool, suites start at 400 square feet and go up to 1800 square feet on the penthouse level.
- newhamiltoncondos.ca

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:45 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP View Post
There is a difference though. Ottawa has highest income of any city in this country, with two job areas that pay a lot. Federal government and Ottawa.

Lamb also took a stab at Ottawa few years ago and one of the highest priced condos in that city and it didn't do that well in terms of investments.

There are two areas where condos do well in this country - GTA AND Gvr. If you are looking at around 400k for 1 bed room condos it will take a while to sell. 600 square foot is. Ore than Mississauga or Vaughn - places close to major job hubs. The job market downtown Hamilton is not downtown Ottawa.
High incomes would lead to more SFH development than condos then no? Especially when one of Ottawa's major employment centres in way out in the suburbs (a long with a large number of suburban government office parks).

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:51 PM

delete

Last edited by CaptainKirk; May 21, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Floor plans released.

*info should not be made public yet

Ooh, a dynamite feature visible on this floor plan is the alternating balcony faces! There are some towers in TO with this design that look wicked.

Last edited by SteelTown; May 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
High incomes would lead to more SFH development than condos then no? Especially when one of Ottawa's major employment centres in way out in the suburbs (a long with a large number of suburban government office parks).
It would lead to both, young people would want to be downtown or near it, downtown Ottawa is still the largest concentration of jobs in that region. not to mention Ottawa is still cheaper than Hamilton.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:52 PM

That is an incredibly functional layout for a 2 bed. I'm loving the angled balconies on the east west sides, and the fins on the north and south. Aa is a top notch firm and even the most basic lamb units feature exposed concrete and high end finishes. These units are going to be modern, which is what we need. Enough with the suburban boxes in the sky. This is downtown!

Can't wait for renders. Are the rest of the plans online?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:52 PM

I wonder if Carol Burnett get royalties for using her name and image.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:41 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP View Post
It would lead to both, young people would want to be downtown or near it, downtown Ottawa is still the largest concentration of jobs in that region. not to mention Ottawa is still cheaper than Hamilton.
A lot of Ottawa condos aren't downtown. Little Italy and Westboro are getting a good chunk of the growth.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:37 PM

Carol Burnett - Trying understand using her name and likeness as a selling point. You'd have to be at least 60 to have seen and to have appreciated her comic stylings. I guess that's the market. Just seems weird and random.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:03 AM

Interesting fin design along north wall. Bring on the rest of the designs ! and the building renders...

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:36 AM

Am I the only person that thinks that two full bathrooms in a two bedroom condo is a bit excessive and a waste of space?

The Royal Connaught even has some one bedroom units with two full bathrooms...

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
Am I the only person that thinks that two full bathrooms in a two bedroom condo is a bit excessive and a waste of space?

The Royal Connaught even has some one bedroom units with two full bathrooms...
I thought the same thing. But I just bought a Vista condo and I'm pretty excited to have a toilet that I'm the only person that's gonna shit on it lol... On the other hand it'd be nice to have a bigger living area

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:28 AM
Ham-burgher

I like it -- the "Carol Burnett"
Golden era of television... what's coming up next in suite names? The Ralph Kramden? The Beave? The MTM? The Brady? The M*A*S*H? The Roper and The Furley?

35 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton