HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

740 North Rush in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
People who, of their very own free will, CHOOSE to live right in the very middle of the largest, densest, and busiest urban metropolis in the interior of the entire freaking continent and then proceed to complain about traffic and congestion are some of the most bewildering people in the history of our human race.

Exactly

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylusx View Post
That community meeting will be packed with residents of the Fordham, 30 E. Huron, and others that will be negatively impacted.
I'm sure blocked views have nothing to do with it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:19 PM

March and April of 2014

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
stylusx, why do you bother? You have been an occasional NIMBY presence on these threads since 2007 and have consistently spewed the most ignorant opinions which have never been well received and have been consistently, and repeatedly, knocked down...

clearly you live in this neighborhood because you have never contributed to a discussion in any other... the NIMBY trolling is just so tiresome
I do not see this as an ignorant opinion in this case. What they are proposing is much worse than what is there now. Just because it is a skyscraper that adds density does not mean it is better in any way. The city is better off having what is there now than this proposed garbage. I do not think I am a NIMBY just because I want to preserve the diverse fabric of buildings in my city. There are plenty of other places to go throw up shlock like this.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:21 PM

At night....for me it was at night when I first laid my eyes upon them. I was enjoying a crisp summer night with my family downtown and those little row homes glistened like a friendly oasis. Absolutely etched in my memory forever.

I am a fan of the height of this new proposal. I love height. And indeed, I could care less about blocked views. Not a closet NIMBY in the least - I personally think they are idiotic. I just want to see something worthy of what we will be losing. I simply have not seen that yet.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:58 PM

In the alternative -- build around the row homes -- if that happens then I would be ok with this being built. I am not a fan of the design but I can live with it as long as we can preserve the row homes.

Also, maybe its just me (entirely possible btw) but I always look askance at anything done by outsiders (particularly New Yorkers) that would destroy our history.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Mar 9, 2017 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
stylusx, why do you bother? You have been an occasional NIMBY presence on these threads since 2007 and have consistently spewed the most ignorant opinions which have never been well received and have been consistently, and repeatedly, knocked down...

clearly you live in this neighborhood because you have never contributed to a discussion in any other... the NIMBY trolling is just so tiresome
Some like to call any criticism, "NIMBY"...and others might call all this cheerleading, "FANBOY". The fact is that this is bad architecture and would be ill-placed. This proposal is real and the Alderman has caused the developer to offer up 325 parking spaces that would do nothing to alleviate the congestion.

You may want to discourage comment from those that know the neighborhood the best...but that won't make the argument go away.

This building is overly tall, sits on an ugly parking podium, makes me think of an '80's TV show and will get the Alderman un-elected if erected. Simple enough.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
You may want to discourage comment from those that know the neighborhood the best...but that won't make the argument go away.
I live near the site. Traffic and "placement" and height aren't an issue. It's design (as far as I can tell from one, misleading image).

Sure losing the vintage buildings and older trees will sting, but not enough for me to rule-out any tall building in this site--which it sound like you have already done.

I'd hate to be you, because if you think something tall isn't going to be built here you are just setting yourself up for bitter disappointment.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:07 AM
The City

Quote:
Some like to call any criticism, "NIMBY"...and others might call all this cheerleading, "FANBOY". The fact is that this is bad architecture and would be ill-placed. This proposal is real and the Alderman has caused the developer to offer up 325 parking spaces that would do nothing to alleviate the congestion.

This building is overly tall, sits on an ugly parking podium, makes me think of an '80's TV show and will get the Alderman un-elected if erected. Simple enough.
Blah blah blah you're a NIMBY. Heard it all before. Your motives are self centered, probably centered around protecting your views.

But I agree with you about the podium. Dead on arrival

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:

Eh...

Some of your criticism is quite NIMBY, that's just a fact.

Overly tall? You've got to be kidding me

I can agree with you on the podium and the fact that the design isn't stellar, but height complaints in downtown is NIMBY.

On a side note... I hope that some of you can attend the public meeting. I'm not a big fan regarding the demo of the town homes at all. A skilled designer would be able to work around things.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:

Look, the proposal looks like some shit that should be in a suburb of Atlanta... having said this, you remind me of Jarta/Pilton, adopting some valid criticism to bolster your ridiculous NIMBY ranting which is ALL you have ever contributed... please don't treat us like idiots...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Look, the proposal looks like some shit that should be in a suburb of Atlanta... having said this, you remind me of Jarta/Pilton, adopting some valid criticism to bolster your ridiculous NIMBY ranting which is ALL you have ever contributed... please don't treat us like idiots...
Don't be so sensitive. It is not treating anyone like 'idiots' to restate a recurring theme about developing this site. 2007, 2014 and then the St. James debacle in between. Why did these projects fail? I can assure you it wasn't me that thwarted hundred-million dollar buildings. It was the same reason this project should fail. Sacrificing the row houses along Superior, blocking the traffic from Michigan Ave. West and West and West. Gridlocking the North-South movement on Rush. And even though (who said it?) the area is 'lousy with parking garages' it is the cars in movement that pose the problem. The four-way stops don't cause any problem...its the lights on Michigan Ave. that have to operate. The Alderman thought in 2014 that no additional parking would force residents to use the Red-Line and Taxis/Uber. That won't happen. Everyone loves their cars and hates getting robbed on the Red-Line. Trump Tower is a good example of a glass building built in the right place. No detriment to the neighborhood and values in the building have gone as high as $1500 per foot. There is a place for this building. Not on Wabash and Superior.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
And even though (who said it?) the area is 'lousy with parking garages' it is the cars in movement that pose the problem.
I wonder where those "cars in movement" might be moving to and from. Certainly not the parking garages, right?

Quote:
Everyone loves their cars and hates getting robbed on the Red-Line.
There are plenty of available units that are not 1 block away from "L" stops in high density housing and office neighborhoods. If someone loves their car, they are already living in a place that you admit is bad for cars.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Everyone loves their cars and hates getting robbed on the Red-Line.
I can't imagine what the sub-text here might read ...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:47 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:

This building is overly tall

Good one. Oh wait, you're being serious?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:02 AM
The City

Why on earth would you drive if you live in that area, unless you work in the suburbs.

Just bewilders me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:05 AM
The City

Quote:
Don't be so sensitive. It is not treating anyone like 'idiots' to restate a recurring theme about developing this site. 2007, 2014 and then the St. James debacle in between. Why did these projects fail? I can assure you it wasn't me that thwarted hundred-million dollar buildings. It was the same reason this project should fail. Sacrificing the row houses along Superior, blocking the traffic from Michigan Ave. West and West and West. Gridlocking the North-South movement on Rush. And even though (who said it?) the area is 'lousy with parking garages' it is the cars in movement that pose the problem. The four-way stops don't cause any problem...its the lights on Michigan Ave. that have to operate. The Alderman thought in 2014 that no additional parking would force residents to use the Red-Line and Taxis/Uber. That won't happen. Everyone loves their cars and hates getting robbed on the Red-Line. Trump Tower is a good example of a glass building built in the right place. No detriment to the neighborhood and values in the building have gone as high as $1500 per foot. There is a place for this building. Not on Wabash and Superior.
I want this area to get more congested now. At some point a sane person realizes that when everything he could possibly need is within a 10 minute walk that he is being an absolute ass by driving everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:31 AM

He wants it killed because he feels there's too much traffic in the area, and I want it killed because there's too little historic character and scale in the area.

But we all want this proposal to be killed, so why argue?

This proposal represents the worst aspects of development in Chicago – too little regard for preservation, too little regard for street level presence.

I wonder if there's a smart way to incentivize minimal parking in the area covered by the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund bonus density program?

I love what TOD is doing for the neighborhoods, but at this point it seems like the area from Cermak to North, west to Halsted should be prohibitive to excess parking storage.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:41 AM
MPLSXCHI

I don't want Reilly to look back at this thinking it was because it was the congestion. I hope this doesn't become a running theme of these proposals being blocked because of whining residents who don't want to walk 5 blocks to work. I hope people make it clear that this should be blocked because it's lack of respect to historic buildings. There are still plenty of sites around here with lots of potential.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:00 AM
The City

Yeah I think we all agree the demo of the historic buildings plus the podium are nonstarters. Who cares about the old geezer NIMBYs, that's their battle to block it based on congestion.

But I would say that increased NIMBY pressure east of State can be thanked for all this development we've seen of the parking lots and 1 story buildings further west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive