HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:45 PM

^^ Long time, no post. Welcome back. Great video. I really like the infrastructure/public amenity improvements. Besides the initial square, I hope the Market and JFK improvements happen sooner rather than later. I'm not sure what I think of the mesh facade for the Bulletin, but the green roof looks good.

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^^ Long time, not post. Welcome back.
He's been busy shopping for Christmas trees for the tops of all of his favorite buildings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
He's been busy shopping for Christmas trees for the tops of all of his favorite buildings.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 10:56 AM

Chicago's 150 North Riverside turned out great!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208936

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...08936&page=103

Landscaping is shaping up to look great too. I know Schuykill Yard tower designs are not yet set in stone. I'd love to see a similar tower. Also, landscaping like this would be nice to see as a cap in front of FMC and EVO, whether or not it includes a lowrise (or highrise) tower that blocks view of the parking garage. Or perhaps it is a good choice for the 30th Street District plan with railroad capping once Schuykill Yards has come to fruition and proven successful. I would just love to see something that directly connects to and abuts the river in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 8:34 PM
BANNED

i saw that building when I was there over summer, the tour guide explained the strange shape.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 2:03 PM

The American Copper Buildings are seriously cool! Designed by SHoP.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...V6Ekz8EmiwM%3A

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...204053&page=11

As far as I'm concerned, they can basically just copy this for Schuylkill Yards. One commercial and one residential with a sky bridge. How cool.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
i saw that building when I was there over summer, the tour guide explained the strange shape.
What was the reason for it?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 1:45 AM

Wasn't Drexel Square supposed to start construction in December?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 1:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What was the reason for it?
i believe there is a train tunnel or some other major obstruction bordering the site which made it extremely narrow. They came up with that design to maximize floor plan size with a very narrow foundation. I forgot how wide the site is exactly, but it's very narrow for a major building. Maybe 70 or 80ft across.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:46 PM

Brandywine Realty gets first city approvals for Schuylkill Yards project

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...s-project.html

Quote:
The Philadelphia Planning Commission has approved zoning changes to an area west of 30th Street Station where Brandywine Realty Trust and Drexel University plan their Schuylkill Yards redevelopment project, a 14-acre district of labs, offices, residences and shopping.

One measure passed by the commission Tuesday would change the zoning of the area occupied by the old Bulletin newspaper building and its parking lot, as well as a section just to the north across John F. Kennedy Boulevard, from industrial to high-density commercial-mixed-use.

Another establishes a new zoning overlay for the entire Schuylkill Yards development site. It permits buildings in the area to include above-ground parking without securing special exceptions and allows a digital sign to be built on the Bulletin building's facade, among other provisions.

City Council also must approve the changes.

Brandywine Realty's chief executive, Jerry Sweeney, said at the commission hearing that his company hopes to break ground on the development's initial projects during the first half of this year. Those include renovations to the Bulletin building and the conversion of its parking lot into a public park.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:12 AM

^^Very nice, very nice!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Brandywine Realty gets first city approvals for Schuylkill Yards project

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...s-project.html
this is right after Drexel's president was complaining about how the City isn't real estate development friendly.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
this is right after Drexel's president was complaining about how the City isn't real estate development friendly.
Fry was complaining that they wouldn't just rezone the entire Schuylkill Yards site. Instead they will only approve rezoning by a few parcels at a time... which literally makes zero sense.

What they approved is only the Bulletin Building, Drexel Plaza for the park, and two parcels north of JFK Blvd for mixed use highrises.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Fry was complaining that they wouldn't just rezone the entire Schuylkill Yards site. Instead they will only approve rezoning by a few parcels at a time... which literally makes zero sense.

What they approved is only the Bulletin Building, Drexel Plaza for the park, and two parcels north of JFK Blvd for mixed use highrises.
I'd assume those are the areas where the initial work will happen. His complaint may be valid- not sure how it prohibits or slows progress of a decade plus long multiphase project that is just beginning. I thought the bulk of the development is supposed to be on the parcels mentioned.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:08 PM

Planning Commission hears community concerns, supports rezoning for first phase of Schuylkill Yards

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...huylkill-yards

Quote:
Sweeney also offered a few new details on Schuylkill Yards’ new buildings. Brandywine proposes a pair of new towers where a surface parking lot is today across JFK Boulevard from the plaza. The first tower would be 783,000 square foot mixed-use office tower located at the corner of JFK and 30th Street, with 15,000 square feet of retail on the lower floors, 561,000 square feet of office space, and 130,000 square feet for laboratories. A second, exclusively residential 383,000 square-foot tower would replace the rest of the surface lot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
I'd assume those are the areas where the initial work will happen. His complaint may be valid- not sure how it prohibits or slows progress of a decade plus long multiphase project that is just beginning. I thought the bulk of the development is supposed to be on the parcels mentioned.
This hasn't pass City Council yet, just the planning commission so far.

Ms. Blackwell surely needs to get some concessions before passage, right?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Planning Commission hears community concerns, supports rezoning for first phase of Schuylkill Yards

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...huylkill-yards
If the first tower across from the new park at 30th and JFK is expected to be 783,000 sq ft, and FMC is 830,000 sq ft, on a similarly sized footprint that would put this just under 700' tall by my back of the napkin math. Sounds good to me, will continue establishing the new western skyline.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelcago View Post
If the first tower across from the new park at 30th and JFK is expected to be 783,000 sq ft, and FMC is 830,000 sq ft, on a similarly sized footprint that would put this just under 700' tall by my back of the napkin math. Sounds good to me, will continue establishing the new western skyline.
I didn't think the first tower was gonna be that tall though. Any updates Summers or anyone else?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:12 PM

According to Wikipedia the Cira Center is 731,852 sq.ft. and it is 437 ft tall. Since this is 783,000 sq. ft. on what looks like a similar size plot, I would guess it would be a similar height. The aerial view of SY shows a gold building that looks pretty similar in size/height to Cira on this plot, so that may be the building they are describing.

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/galle...x0o0ekk9nj8p4x

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:18 PM

^ I believe that you are correct, based on my recollection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals