HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:50 AM

Doug Flutie wasn't the only celebrity there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Montreal must also have the highest ticket price point in the league... Pricing is clearly aimed at maximizing profit as opposed to attendance.
As you know I rant about Montreal's prices regularly. $94 to sit at the goal line in a 100+ year stadium is insane. Can they at least give the cement bleachers a paint job!

"I don't believe that 18k number. The Als have been loosing money the past few seasons at 20k avg per game. 22K seems to me the break even point."

I read two years ago that all but one team were profitable, I'm expecting the one to be Toronto. OSEG claims that winning the Grey Cup proved to be costly last year which really pissed me off as a season ticket holder sitting in a sold out crowd for all 10 games. The retail and junior sports teams lead to a 14M loss not the Redblacks.

Last edited by 25grapes; Jul 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Who says they are losing money? Wetenhall crying poverty? He wouldn't be still owning it if they were losing money. At one time they had probably the best sponsorship deals in the league.

Before the TV contract, 22-24k was the break even point.
See link from Montreal Gazette last year:

"Montreal hasn’t hosted a Grey Cup — still the league’s best means to recoup losses — since 2008, and there are no immediate plans to bring the CFL’s marquee event to Olympic Stadium. If it was once common knowledge the team was losing at least $1 million annually, it wouldn’t be shocking to believe that deficit has now doubled or even tripled."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...ettenhall-says

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 11:58 PM

^ Yet the Als switched to travel by chartered jet and took up residence at Olympic Stadium this season. Sports team owners love to claim they're losing money

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
^ Yet the Als switched to travel by chartered jet and took up residence at Olympic Stadium this season. Sports team owners love to claim they're losing money
Link:http://nationalpost.com/sports/footb...e-9fdcd8d91297

"It has never been cheap to operate a CFL team. Commercial flights alone for the Als annually run in the neighbourhood of $300,000, at least. Hotel costs and per diem allotments for the players bring that total to more than $700,000. Renting the field at Stade Hébert, along with the accompanying bus transportation, added another estimated $36,000 for owners Robert and Andrew Wetenhall.

It’s now believed the Als, despite the optics, will save at least $25,000 annually by chartering. Conversely, they might spend an additional $40,000-$50,000 for the convenience of practicing at Olympic Stadium. As part of the arrangement, the team will play at least one home game at the domed east-end facility beginning in 2018."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 11:54 AM

Either way its poor economics to leave your stadium 3-4K short of a sellout due to ticket prices. Sell your tickets at the max you can get while selling your stadium out consistently. That's 3-4K more purchasing food and $12 tall cans.

I have no idea what kind of game we'll get out of these two teams tonight but tomorrow night's match is a heavy weight tilt.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Link:http://nationalpost.com/sports/footb...e-9fdcd8d91297

"It has never been cheap to operate a CFL team. Commercial flights alone for the Als annually run in the neighbourhood of $300,000, at least. Hotel costs and per diem allotments for the players bring that total to more than $700,000. Renting the field at Stade Hébert, along with the accompanying bus transportation, added another estimated $36,000 for owners Robert and Andrew Wetenhall.

It’s now believed the Als, despite the optics, will save at least $25,000 annually by chartering. Conversely, they might spend an additional $40,000-$50,000 for the convenience of practicing at Olympic Stadium. As part of the arrangement, the team will play at least one home game at the domed east-end facility beginning in 2018."
"It's now believed" by this guy right here that if the Als were a perennial money loser, Wetenhall would have dropped them like a hot potato years ago. Remember back in the 80s and 90s when people used to do just that with certain CFL teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I have no idea what kind of game we'll get out of these two teams tonight but tomorrow night's match is a heavy weight tilt.
Tonight's game should be a good barometer for the Bombers... if they have their hands full with a sub .500 eastern team (even one that somehow beat Calgary), we'll know there is real trouble brewing.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:08 PM

^^^ Guaranteed win night for the Bombers IMHO. The Als are a terrible team and were lucky to beat Calgary. It won't happen tonight - especially on the road. Bombers by at least 10.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:59 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
^^^ Guaranteed win night for the Bombers IMHO. The Als are a terrible team and were lucky to beat Calgary. It won't happen tonight - especially on the road. Bombers by at least 10.
Maybe a touch overconfident there.

But still ... never leave early.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 4:01 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
"It's now believed" by this guy right here that if the Als were a perennial money loser, Wetenhall would have dropped them like a hot potato years ago. Remember back in the 80s and 90s when people used to do just that with certain CFL teams?

Tonight's game should be a good barometer for the Bombers... if they have their hands full with a sub .500 eastern team (even one that somehow beat Calgary), we'll know there is real trouble brewing.
Montreal is a good team. It may be a race between Toronto and Montreal in the East this year (or maybe not).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:00 AM

Montreal is better than their record would indicate. Exciting comeback tonight by the Bombers though. Many close games this season. So far this calendar week both the Argos and Bombers scored the winning points with no time left.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 2:04 PM

Phenomenal comeback victory for the Bombers last night after being pretty much left for dead, but it is still somewhat ominous that despite playing a pretty clean game (no turnovers!) it still took a miracle last-minute rally to beat a 2-3 eastern team.

The Bombers kind of exist in that mushy middle where you know they'll beat Hamilton and you know they'll lose to Calgary... the real test is how they do with the .500ish teams. And the answer last night was: not that great. The Bombers still don't have a very effective run game... Harris seems to be a more potent threat as a receiver. I'll cut the defense some slack since they were down to one starting LB and they have two rookie DBs starting, but they are giving up crazy yardage. Even the normally dependable special teams have become a bit of an issue with Medlock's sudden inconsistency.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer about the Bombers, but even though they managed to grit out an impressive win last night, I'm still not seeing a team ready for the long haul just yet. Luckily they have upcoming games against Ottawa and Hamilton to recalibrate things before the big test against Edmonton on August 17.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:47 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/western-showdown-1.814458

Check out the video. Cool story about Reilly and Lulay... looking forward to this matchup

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Montreal is a good team. It may be a race between Toronto and Montreal in the East this year (or maybe not).
You have to joking. They are terrible - that was one of the biggest choke jobs in recent history. The East sucks much like it does every year and as usual there will be yet another cross over. And if I had to bet I'd say that team will likely be Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:58 AM
Moran supreme

Did anyone honestly expect a 60-1 victory by the Stamps over the Ticats?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
You have to joking. They are terrible - that was one of the biggest choke jobs in recent history. The East sucks much like it does every year and as usual there will be yet another cross over. And if I had to bet I'd say that team will likely be Winnipeg.
Montreal is an ok team and Ottawa is a pretty good team with a record that doesn't show it.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Hamilton because it's starting to look like they've stopped playing for the coach. That Calgary game, as ol' Moms Mabley would say was "UGGGGLAYYY" So ugly, it hurt my feelin's.

That's the CFL though, in a season of fantastic games so far, you get one that is totally off the charts.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Well I thought we might beat the Riders that badly not Hamilton. Apparently I greatly underestimated Kevin Glenn, he still has some game left, enough to give the hopper fans hope before crushing it later!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 8:02 PM

Facebook, fantasy & flag: How the CFL's new boss plans to woo young fans

The Canadian Football League's new commissioner says he's determined to attract more young fans by improving the 'fan experience'. Randy Ambrosie speaks to BNN's Paige Ellis about building the brand, stadium renovations and developing new talent.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I almost felt sorry for Hamilton....but only almost. Hopefully that arrogant twit Austin will be on his way out after this.

On a positive note, it was great to see Andrew Buckley get some playing time. He didn't look out of place (yes, I know I was against a shitty team, but still) and his throws were all on target and well thrown.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
On a positive note, it was great to see Andrew Buckley get some playing time. He didn't look out of place (yes, I know I was against a shitty team, but still) and his throws were all on target and well thrown.
He was 10 for 10 in passing for a 100% completion rate. Not bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada