HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 6:46 PM

I noticed that was the one statistic that article didn't mention. I would be curious about that too.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 3:07 AM
New Coloradan

Just before Christmas, I stayed down on 16th St with a view of the Spire. From the north end I counted two units that were lit. Now that's not to say there were only two units occupied, but in all I bet the building is mostly empty. That must be a weird feeling for the existing tenants.

Back in June, I mentioned I made a visit to the sales office there on 14th street, where the staff were mostly not interested in conversing or even talking about their development. Has this hurt sales? I don't know. I would guess more of the current economic condition has a larger impact.

I'd love to see some stats on current sales.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 5:31 AM
portuglês

^It's interesting that you note that you had that experience with the sales office, because when I went in with a friend in August and walked through the model units, the sales staff were the utmost in friendly and were eagerly looking to sell the units, rattling off statistics and fun facts about the building as well as providing information about construction and where they were hoping to be with sales by about this time. What a difference a couple of months make, apparently.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 8:46 AM
I like this much better

under budget? by how much? wonder if that has much to do with the "Shame on Spire LLC" signs that i saw in front of the building on a daily basis for the last, what, year or so?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 4:09 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^Nah, that's just a worthless f***in trade union that seems to have a labor dispute in every project it does.

Which leads to the question on why any G.C. hires the conctractor affilliated with that union.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 4:03 AM
Up Up and Away

Thursday, January 21, 2010, 2:53pm MST

100 Spire buyers expected to close in February

Denver Business Journal - by Paula Moore

Roughly 100 buyers who have made down payments on units at downtown Denver’s new Spire condo tower are expected to close on those purchases in February.

The Nichols Partnership Inc. of Denver, developer of the $175 million condo high-rise, is also in the process of renegotiating a $118 million construction loan for the project with the loan’s new owner.

Purchasers of Spire units will be able to move into their condos soon after sales close next month, according to Spire developer Randy Nichols. A specific date for when the closings will start hasn’t been set yet.

“We’ve got a lot of logistics to work out,” Nichols told the Denver Business Journal on Thursday. “We’ll have all these people moving in, so we’ve got to schedule elevators and moving companies.”

To date, Nichols has 130 contracts on Spire units.

“We’ve signed 30 contracts just since December, … which was shocking to me because of the holiday season,” the developer said. “You usually don’t move much in the way of housing at that time.”

Spire prices start in the low $200,000s and go up to $1 million-plus for premium units on higher floors.

Buyers who will occupy their units pay 5 percent down on units, and investors pay 10 percent.

The 496-unit, 42-story Spire is located at 14th and Champa streets, in downtown Denver’s theater district and near the Colorado Convention Center. Construction on the high-rise started in May 2007, and was completed in late 2009.

Construction was to be funded by a $160 million construction loan from Hypo Capital Real Estate Corp. of New York, but Hypo opted not to fund the loan in August 2007, so Nichols found multiple lenders to provide construction financing. Corus Bank NA provided a $118 million construction loan.

Last year, federal regulators took over Corus, which had been plagued by problem real estate loans. An investor group partly led by Starwood Capital Group LLC of Greenwich, Conn., bought a 40 percent stake in the lender’s loan portfolio, including the Spire loan, in the fall of 2009.

Starwood is currently renegotiating the 112 loans it purchased, including the Spire loan, according to Nichols.

“There are a lot of things involved in our discussion with Starwood,” Nichols said. “The main thing is we need to extend the loan. In the new world, it’s going to take longer to sell our units and operating costs [will be higher].”

Nichols discounts rumors that Starwood is pressuring him to convert Spire’s for-sale condos to for-rent apartments. “That’s not happening. … It doesn’t make sense,” Nichols said.

One thing that has helped the developer sell Spire units is the incentives offered to buyers.

For the project’s first marketing phase launched last year — which included lower-priced condos on floors 11-19 — Nichols Partnership offered a $35,000 credit that could be put toward purchase price or used to buy appliance upgrades, parking or extra storage. Roughly 90 of those units have been sold, meeting the threshold for buyers to qualify for Federal National Mortgage Association, or Fannie Mae, financing.

“We’re close to hitting the threshold for FHA [Federal Housing Administration] financing,” Nichols said.

For the newest marketing phase now under way, for more expensive units on floors 20-25, the developer is offering $40,000 to $80,000 off purchase price, depending on unit price.

pmoore@bizjournals.com

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:19 PM
Robotic Construction

Spire doesn't sound like it's doing too bad in this economy. They might just come out of this okay. If Starwood recognizes that the recession is really the only hangup here and is willing to extend the loan, it absolutely will come out okay, I think. the fact that the units are starting to sell should be enough incentive for Starwood to go ahead and do this. Also the FHA financing that they are close to qualifying for, that sounds like it will be a huge help to this project, if they can land that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 5:09 PM
BANNED

the threshhold for FHA is 50% sold or under conrtact...and those need to be owner-occupied. i really hope they can get there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 5:50 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

I heard something to the effect that in the past six months, the Spire has sold more condos than any other single new condo building in the US. Interesting if it is true.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 12:36 AM
Up Up and Away

Affordability, in a great location, really does help.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
Affordability, in a great location, really does help.
You mean now developers may actually have to think about WHAT and WHERE they build? Boy this recession sucks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West