HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect that the in-camera part was not about voting down the Cogswell convention center proposal, but rather to vote to accept the province's decision to go forward with the Herald site. An argument may have been made that the Cogswell site would violate HRM by design, but that is a non sequitur since it hasn't been presented yet.

The whole discussion was quite ridiculous as always. Blumenthal is an absolute tool... belittling staff for their use of the phrase "north end" and grandstanding as usual. What a useless bunch.
Yeah was surely a show there when this was going on. I mean it will be years before this area would be developed based on a number of factors. I think the money for the study could be better spent on more need items like public transit until the market recovers and the need for more office/ residential space is needed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 3:53 AM
Salty Town

The interchange area will still have the same amount of streets. The HRM by design plan shows Barrington, Hollis and Upper Water to run parallel and T-in to Cornwallis. This frees up probably about 2.5 hectares. Council, including Kelly continually refer to 6.5 hectares being ready for development but their lack of knowledge is not surprising. The traffic will be bottlenecked at Cornwallis St. instead of now flowing outbound on Barrington. The long narrow strips of land are ideaL for thin tall towers and pocket parks not WTC's and Metro Centres. The possibilities are not endless as Kelly suggests but very limited due to tight land restrictions. The sewage treatment plant location will no doubt go down as the worst "decision" HRM has made. The STP smells like one so it may be hard to entice developers to built next door. The money spent on tearing down interchange at the MacKay bridge should have been spent on widening Barrington St. from Ocean Towers to the MacKay bridge.

Last edited by Empire; Feb 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 6:05 AM

Yeah, I've wondered how it's going to work out with the sewage treatment plant right there as well. I remember having to hold my breath every morning on the way to work when we passed it.

Poor planning? Lack of foresight? In Halifax? Shocked! I'm shocked, I tell you!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 6:50 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Kelly is on the record from a few years ago talking about how it makes no difference for the Cogswell lands and will be totally fine.

What kind of city builds a sewage plant in its downtown? I guess most councillors just didn't care because it wasn't in their district.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:46 AM

Cogswell interchange will need $500,000 before replacement

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Feb 11 - 5:36 AM

Linda Mosher

The Cogswell Street interchange, an enduring tribute to the city’s abandoned plan to build a harbour-side freeway, is showing its age.

Regional council heard Tuesday night that some money will have to be spent maintaining the 40-year-old downtown overpass before it can be demolished once and for all.

"Staff believe, although the lands are clearly an asset to the municipality, the current infrastructure is a liability and HRM needs to start planning now for future capital replacement," city staffer Jacqueline Hamilton told councillors.

In fact, up to $500,000 needs to be spent on maintenance work in the next six to eight months, she said, although the province will split the cost since it has ownership interests in the land.

The city plans to tear down the interchange to reclaim and redevelop the 6.5 hectares of land. An anchor building and a Metro Transit hub could be part of the area’s new look, she said.

The new landscape would also transform the northern gateway into downtown Halifax and reconnect the north end to the downtown and waterfront neighbourhoods, Ms. Hamilton said.

Council approved tendering out a master plan to outline the scope of the work and plan for reserve funding for the capital costs of the project.

•In other business, councillors approved the examination of snow-clearing standards in upcoming budget debates.

Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcells Cove-Armdale) brought forward the motion to update the standards, established in 1998.

They call for residential streets to be cleared within 24 hours of a storm.

Last week, one of Ms. Mosher’s elderly constituents was taken to hospital by ambulance, but only after paramedics scrambled over snowbanks and down a steep hill with the unconscious patient on a stretcher because plows hadn’t cleared the street.

"This is a serious safety issue; this resident could have died," she said.

Ms. Mosher would like to see plows go down every residential street, even if it’s only to clear one side, within 12 hours.

Council’s budget debates will be held in the spring.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth