HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 8:41 PM

[Halifax] The Vincent Coleman | ? m | 9 fl | Completed

This is the new proposal for the 6955 Bayers Road site. It has been completely revised to be a 9 storey building with a bigger footprint.

Rendering(s):

Current Progress:

Credit: Dmajackson

Floors: 9
Height: Unknown
Uses: Residential
Year Completed:
Location: 6955 Bayers in front of St. Andrews Community Centre
Architect: Kassner/Goodspeed
Additonal Information: Includes new curbs and sidewalk for access road, a landscaped podium, and upgrades for the Halifax Memorial Graveyard.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

That is quite a large footprint, but this is what happens when taller proposals are rejected.

On the other hand, I kinda like it and think it will fit in a lot better with the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:00 AM

I hope this doesn't look like everything put in next to Bayer's Lake. A nice tall slim tower probably would of been better,

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:17 AM

Why would you want it to fit in with the surrounding buildings? They are mostly crap and to attempt to fit in with that is just a recipe for chronic mediocrity.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:39 AM

Sorry I meant fit in height-wise, that's all. I agree that the apartment buildings nearby are very ugly.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 7:06 PM

June 15, 2009 Peninsula Community Council - 7:00 p.m.

Public hearing:

Case 01228 - Development Agreement, 6955 Bayers Road, Halifax.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 8:34 PM

I hope this gets approved. This is a good location and it's sad to see it sit there undeveloped.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 9:37 PM

Agreed, it's not even a park or anything just a grass lawn basically. I hope they do something good with this building and make it nice for such a large stumpy building. Maybe add sections of varrying heights and all that Jazz.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 5:39 PM

They're not going to do anything special. The deveoloper tried to build the landmark building as a 'welcome to Halifax' and they shot him down. He was going to open up a large portion of the lot as parkland, fix the roads in front to allow for better access, and build a proper monument to the halifax explosion victims instead of the crummy chain link barn hole that is there now; but they shot him down.

Now, he is going to take up every square inch of the lot with the building or pavement for parking, and probably make it ugly. Varrying heights isn't feasable cause it means he would have to have elevators in several areas of the building for access, as well as seperate fire stairwells etc. and he's getting hosed by the city now so why would he do anything special? I say build it, make it bright purple with pink window casings, and then tell the city and anti development assholes who stood up to this what a great job they did protecting their neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 5:50 PM

The anti development people will just come back with he built such an ugly building anyway why should we allow for more people to build. I wish it wasn't shot down, 2 blocks away there were tall buildings as well and it would have looked good. I hate people.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 6:23 PM

Perhaps that's the real Anti-Development goal, to frustrate developers into building ugly things, giving them even more fuel to be anti-development, kind of a self serving hoax to give them public time.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 7:18 PM
opinionated so and so

It is because the current rules don't mandate mass, quality of materials, or any of that. We should have these rules, why the hell not? Some kind of basic floor, standards that would be region wide, something we should aim to exceed in local planning strategies, but some kind of "this bad, and no worse" rule.

Make some minimum standards, and allow an exemption application process for new and innovative design.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
Now, he is going to take up every square inch of the lot with the building or pavement for parking, and probably make it ugly.
I like a modern tower as much as anyone, but filling a lot right to the edge is more 'urban' than having a large open space around a tower. Large open spaces look nice on paper and were very popular in the '60's... but in reality they become a "no mans land". When I think of towers surrounded by big open spaces I think of the utopian Corbusier vision of "islands in the sky" and the horrible housing projects that resulted... like The Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago. The same thinking is what inspired Scotia Square... two "islands in the sky" surrounded by a massive outdoor pedestrian plaza (which was never fully realized)... and we all know how well that turned out.

That said... this building still isn't really filling the lot either... it'll be pulled back from the sidewalk and surrounded by parking.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:40 PM

What I'm talking about here is green space. Livable, inviting, green space that when you drive by, or walk through, you say, wow, this neighborhood is really really nice because there is grass and flowers and trees and it gives a great feel. Now, we lose all that ability, because, as you said in agreement with my comment, there will be parking and the building. No real provisions for the improvements to the area that the initial tower proposed.

The original proposal was a far superior proposal, and its sad that height be the only thing that stopped it, as oppose the real benefits to the community and city. As a counselor, I would turn down the current shorter proposal well before I would ever turn down the tower with improvements to the road, the green area, the explosion memorial and more.

Our counselors are a bunch of panderers and only care about their $65,000 a year salary, contrary to what they say they could get in the private sector.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:20 PM

This is going before Peninsula Community Council TONIGHT!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 9:08 PM

Hold your breath!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:33 AM

Any news on what came of this?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Any news on what came of this?
I don't know yet but I just emailed Councillor Blumenthal so hopefully if hes anything like the other councillors I'll have an answer by the end of the night regarding the verdict on this.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:06 AM

Cool Approved

Blumenthal got back to me;

Approved on Monday in a 4-0 vote.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:08 AM

Now we need some renders

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth