HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:09 PM

Anyone else unimpressed with Chicago Riverwark redevelopment plans?

Link for reference:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...riverwalk.html

It's not that what I've seen is bad. It's just seems sort of sterile, and I can't see what elements will cause people to want to come down to the river, other than maybe kayak rentals. It's certainly an improvement over the current state of the riverwalk now. But I don't think it's as impressive as the Navy Pier concept that was selected (who knows if that will be fully realized), or even Maggie Daley park. If it doesn't succeed in "wowing" Chicagoans and it's visitors, I can't help but think about what a huge missed opportunity it would have been. Maybe I shouldn't bitch given the state of the economy. But I'd love to hear other forumers thoughts.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:13 PM
The City

I for one don't mind a more formal (okay, 'sterile' if you wish) riverwalk. We are talking about a commercial core full of office towers. It will never be San Antonio and I'm fine with that. Let Chicago wear a "tuxedo to the dance", if you will. More fitting..

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:38 PM

I'm totally down with more formal TUP. I certainly don't want to turn it into a cheesy, larger version of San Antonio. But how about some amazing public artwork.. aka Cloudgate (the bean), or the Plesna fountains. How about some more impressive greenspaces that would make me want to picnic down there, or sit for hours reading a book. How about confirming that there would be more food vendors down at the river, which may ease the hostility the city has shown toward food trucks/carts. It's in one of the most conspicuous parts of the city, this has to be done right.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:46 PM

I understand your wishes but I think that the spaces will get plenty of use as they are designed. I know that the current sections of the river walk get a decent amount of traffic when it is warm and sunny out and I think that extending it will provide for more people wanting to be down there simply because it will give the user more room to roam. The extension will allow for some real movement along the river. I especially love the stairs with the trees. That will be a good place to sit and eat lunch.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 8:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i think the plans shown thus far are fantastic. and if the usage of the existing riverwalk from state to the lake is any indication, this proposed extension from state to lake street will be very popular on nice days.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:38 PM

The river canyon IS the attraction. There doesn't need to be alot of other stuff on the river walk. The current riverwalk is real nice and busy on nice days. All I would need is plenty of seating, some places to get drinks and food, and nice landscaping. The current designs look really attractive. The part where it curves around Franklin should be really cool, and the area with stairs should bring lots of people down to it. I just hope they populate it with food or drink vendors. Should be great for people watching.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 7:49 PM
You had me at herro...

Any timeframe on this? I feel like the city loves to roll out these plans and ideas, but then they just kinda sit around forever.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:55 AM

The thing I like about the Riverwalk design is it looks durable and functional, but made of nicer materials and hardy landscaping as opposed to something like harsh concrete and high maintenance shrubs and plantings which seemed to dominate Chicago in decades past.

Actually alot of the renderings look like Detroit's Riverwalk which is absolutely gorgeous and after 7 years still looks like the day it opened. It similarly engages the public with nodes of activity, seating, water features, etc.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:06 PM

Well, couldn't find any other dedicated Riverwalk thread so.... guess I'll post in this one. Lights anyone??

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...mes-square.php

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:52 PM
TL;DR

Somehow missed this thread the first time around... But no, I'm not concerned about the riverwalk design.

I saw a presentation by Michelle Woods and Carol Ross Barney last summer, and I've seen the drawings for the riverwalk as well. There is a vast attention paid to every little detail. I'm talking fully custom seating/benches, lighting, paving... even the tree pits in the "River Theater" were carefully planned to give the maximal space for roots and the best conditions for tree growth. This is not a cheesy setup with acorn lampposts and unilock pavers; it's a world class design.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest