HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:32 PM

I think it's our duty as citizens to raise awareness about the potential for abuse this incident creates.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:32 PM

Just heard that school lockdowns are in place as far away as Brockville.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I think it's our duty as citizens to raise awareness about the potential for abuse this incident creates.
I'm frankly more concerned by terrorist acts perpetrated by gunmen and bombers than I am by the thought that someone might scan my e-mail for certain key words.

These people do not play nice. It is a telling sign as to how soft and vulnerable we are as a country that as an assault on Parliament unfolds, we are sitting here making sure that no one's feelings get hurt.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm frankly more concerned by terrorist acts perpetrated by gunmen and bombers than I am by the thought that someone might scan my e-mail for certain key words.

These people do not play nice. It is a telling sign as to how soft and vulnerable we are as a country that as an assault on Parliament unfolds, we are sitting here making sure that no one's feelings get hurt.
Well, I'm in lockdown right now and not worried at all. I do have confidence in our law enforcement when it comes to stuff like this, and I think they have the tools to keep us safe. Our security was sufficient to neutralize the attackers before they could do serious damage and I'm sure they will find the other guy(s).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM

It's not the same thing. Sometimes innocent people get caught in a drug/gang related crime, but almost always that's not the case, whereas with terrorism, nobody knows who will be a target. There may be less deaths statistically, but it's the fear of not knowing that becomes such a problem.

And while it's true that terrorism isn't exclusive to Muslims they have a near monopoly on it when it comes to North America. It might not be fair to profile or label all Muslims as terrorist, but human nature will be human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
For the love of god don't be mixing your opinions with facts.

This is not a time for irrational decision making, this is more serious than that.

Terrorism isn't something exclusive to muslims.

Nor are terrorist acts anywhere in the vicinity of causing more homicides than other more traditional problems associated with immigrants(gangs, drugs wars etc)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

The shooters were shot, and the police are doing their job. Who is being soft?

We'll never be able to prevent random violence, anyone with a gun can do a lot of damage, especially if they are mentally disturbed/unstable.

The measures needed to enact to ensure such a thing never ever has the possibility of happening is a massive forfeiture of rights, freedoms, and many of things that make living in this country great in the first place.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
The shooters were shot, and the police are doing their job. Who is being soft?

We'll never be able to prevent random violence, anyone with a gun can do a lot of damage, especially if they are mentally disturbed/unstable.

The measures needed to enact to ensure such a thing never ever has the possibility of happening is a massive forfeiture of rights, freedoms, and many of things that make living in this country great in the first place.
Well, by the same token, who is requiring that there be a massive forfeiture of rights and freedoms?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:44 PM
Mooderator

Leafs/Sens game might be cancelled tonight. Actually, I'm sure it will..

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
CNN is saying Canada is telling the US there's no Islamic connection. I highly doubt that
Conversation has already happened
Well it took CNN ages to actually start reporting on the shooting... and they've been known to make all sorts of unsupported reports in the past.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
It's not the same thing. Sometimes innocent people get caught in a drug/gang related crime, but almost always that's not the case, whereas with terrorism, nobody knows who will be a target. There may be less deaths statistically, but it's the fear of not knowing that becomes such a problem.

And while it's true that terrorism isn't exclusive to Muslims they have a near monopoly on it when it comes to North America. It might not be fair to profile or label all Muslims as terrorist, but human nature will be human nature.
A brief summary of recent activities in Canada tells a different story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Canada

All plots under the "Islam" headline were all stopped or prevented at the planning stages. In terms of actual terrorism actions, the domestic terrorism certainly is not dominated by Islamic motivations.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM
Community Guy

MP constituency offices now all closed across the country.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:49 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

CNN also said the Canadian Embassy in Washington is in lockdown.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:58 PM

I think the days of Parliament being open and accessible are over. Too bad, that was one of my favourite things about the Parliament buildings...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:59 PM
Still optimistic

This is scary, don't get me wrong - I have dozens of family and friends who are in lockdown and my mum is barricaded in a board room as the RCMP searches the building for a shooter. But this is no time for hysteria. We are in more danger of being killed by a falling piano than by a mass-shooter.

We cannot wrap everything in styrofoam and we cannot give up our freedoms to protect ourselves from every bad thing which could happen. Even with every camera, checkpoint and arbitrary detention in the world, someone could still carry out an attack. Even with all of our openness and freedom, how many terrorist attacks have we had in our country? How much would we use if we constantly feared being picked up by the police for acting suspicious or not being able to walk through a park without being questioned or suspected?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
A brief summary of recent activities in Canada tells a different story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Canada

All plots under the "Islam" headline were all stopped or prevented at the planning stages. In terms of actual terrorism actions, the domestic terrorism certainly is not dominated by Islamic motivations.
Actually it doesn't. If you mean by 'recent' incidents( threat or carried out) as being in the last few years then yes, most are Islamic related. Other than a pipeline incident from 2009, and the recent Quebec election incident, all terrorist incidents or threats have been Islamic related. I don't know the number from the U.S., but the big high profile acts or threats of recent times have been Islamic related also. I have no doubt that when people think of terrorism, Radical Muslims are the first thing that people think about.

Last edited by Deepstar; Oct 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:02 PM

^ a security and visitor centre was already under construction as a central screening area for all visitors.

The biggest change to the precinct long term will likely be the relocation of the temporary Senate back to the main hill. The national conference centre chamber is directly adjacent to a road.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:02 PM
Community Guy

The soldier that was shot has passed away.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:04 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

What the appropriate response should be depends upon the identities and motives of the shooters; it's just too early to make any assumptions.

It was just reported that the soldier who was shot has died, I see as also posted above.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's so sad. Someone tweeted a picture of the two guards taken just before the shooting. Whichever one he was, he was a very young man. :-(

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Nonetheless, I think it is extremely tacky to be doing anything even remotely partisan right now.
From your lips to the ears of the kids in short pants at the PMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada