HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:29 PM

Atlanta: redeveloping the Gulch

After the recent announcement of the Green Line redevelopment of the gulch
link to CAP plan

I remembered an old plan that was in the original AIA guide from the 1970s

This one was way more pie-in-the-sky and as you can see, not very friendly looking. But does address the giant null
area created by all the rail cutting through the heart of town and the holes left by the many viaducts built to brid
ge it.

The new plan on the other hand has a number of very cool features.

(where 1 is the multimodal passenger terminal and 6 is the park around old Spring street which can be closed to traffic for events)

New Spring Street cutting down to Mitchell

Wall and Alabama continuing all the way to Centennial Olympic Park Drive.

We could certainly utilize the skills builders are learning while developing a similar viaduct-filling construction at Atlantic Station.

The multimodal plan with bus depot on the concourse level (ie one level below the viaducts)

and commuter rail platforms and a platform for Amtrak on the ground level

The redesigned plaza and east entrance to Underground looks better but I'm not really that excited by it.

On whole the Green Line looks extremely cool. Let's do it

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:30 PM

I like this being it's own thread. I am all for this plan. Has there been any additional news?

I recall reading that GSU was going to be adding 500 new student housing rooms each year for the next 10 years, is this going to start next year or has it already started? This is what is supposed to kick start this project correct?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:35 PM
Reliable Source

Having driven on Lower Forsyth last night...yes, the area needs a leg up. I don't mean take out all the shops, but a redesign of some sort is in order. Also, a little further south on Forsyth is the intersection with parking lots on three corners. It's rather desolate down there at night.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Dec 19, 2007 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 11:35 PM

You mean ATL has been planning this for 30 years too..........

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
You mean ATL has been planning this for 30 years too..........
It's funny - a ton of these "new urbanism" projects are really just reincarnations of plans for projects from 40 years ago. It's a fairly obvious trend, though. Back then, the city was doing quite well, and was undoubtedly looking to improve things so it could do even better. The opening of the interstates, among other things (including the so-called "white flight"), really took a toll on the inner-city. We still aren't back to Atlanta's peak population, but as people begin moving back to the city, officials are finally resurrecting plans for improving it. Sure, they're 40 years old, but they are just as relevant as ever.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 12:12 AM

OMG. If this project, the beltline, streetcar, lightrail, commuter rail, and Streets of Buckhead and all the other PLANS happen. THis place will be such a world class city.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
OMG. If this project, the beltline, streetcar, lightrail, commuter rail, and Streets of Buckhead and all the other PLANS happen. THis place will be such a world class city.
But I have to emphasize on your word "IF". I mean I would love to have all of these plans to happen in the next 10-15 years if possible, but it is a BIG if.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:22 AM

How does a "Streets of Buckhead" make a city world class? I agree on the other things, but Streets of Buckhead?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:35 AM

Yes, add me to the list of people who are very excited by this. The idea of having a multi-modal transit hub like what is shown above is about the coolest thing I could think of that might happen for this city. Well, maybe behind the BeltLine.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:12 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
How does a "Streets of Buckhead" make a city world class? I agree on the other things, but Streets of Buckhead?
I think he was saying that completion of all of the proposed projects combined - the Beltline and other transportation projects, museums, road improvements, etc - along with the Streets of Buckhead, would elevate the city's status quite a bit. We want Atlanta to be the most popular girl in school...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:35 AM
Reliable Source

The east-west loop of the streetcar needs to traverse the gulch area, with stops in proximity to Philips Arena, the (proposed) intermodal, Underground, the state capitol, etc.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 12:27 PM

The layout looks good, but I think the most significant thing about this proposal is almost symbolic: a major (and concrete) sign that Atlanta is working towards a vision. That in itself won't make Atlanta "world-class" or "popular" to the outside world, but it would be a psychological tsunami to local politicians and stakeholders. It would shift attention and resources to a "center." Who knows where that could lead? Potentially very exciting.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 1:59 PM
Reliable Source

Yeah, but remember the political leeches will say "what's in it for me".

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:48 PM

I think the trick is to create "facts on the ground" that can't be ignored. Once you have a really high-profile Multi-Modal Transport Hub, I think a lot of transit proposals become more feasible and harder to sidetrack (though I never underestimate the power of policitians to exact their pound of flesh).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
The east-west loop of the streetcar needs to traverse the gulch area, with stops in proximity to Philips Arena, the (proposed) intermodal, Underground, the state capitol, etc.

Doesn't it? The latest proposed route takes the Streetcar right by the MARTA 5 Points station, which is near all of that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 12:16 AM

They should build some type of World trade Center type of place on the other side of the plaza near the new Transit Hub and Cnn center area. Or maybe 3- 5 really tall skycrapers like the Renaissance Center in Detroit. Maybe UPS some other big company can have their headquaters there or something.

Wouldn't that be cool

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 5:44 AM
Transit Gloria Mundi

It's pretty cool - but I think there is too much parking for a downtown area, it undermines the transit system and uses up a lot of land for parking decks in the middle of downtown. Look at other major cities like DC, New York or even Los Angeles and they don't have that much parking...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta_transit View Post
It's pretty cool - but I think there is too much parking for a downtown area, it undermines the transit system and uses up a lot of land for parking decks in the middle of downtown. Look at other major cities like DC, New York or even Los Angeles and they don't have that much parking...
This plan does have a ton of parking lots but you have to remember this is Atlanta.

One other question. If we get another Amtrak plaform does that mean we'll be getting more trains? Right now the only Amtrak platform we have is Brookwood Station, but we also only have one train. I'd love to see the trains come back to Atlanta but is that realistic?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

I hope to God this gets built.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:07 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta_transit View Post
We have to remember that it is a transit hub after all. At least the thinking is that this will work to get people out of their cars and into the transit infrastructure. I'm all for underground parking if it gets some commercial and residential projects off the ground. Hopefully, it will be tastefully done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta