HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post

Or maybe the records aren't updated because according to a few sources, Gordon actually did buy one of the units:

http://www.chateauoncentral.com/2011...rst-homeowner/

http://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine....top-picks.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p....html?page=all
My guess is that the deal with Gordon fell through (or he is leasing?). If, as the articles say, he bought in 2011, the Assessor's records would be up to date. They are updated about 60 days after a property sale. I'll drive by the community after dark some time soon and see how many units have lights on.

I really hope they do sell now that the market's picking up. It's a great looking community and would be nice to have some more residents along Central Ave.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
My guess is that the deal with Gordon fell through (or he is leasing?). If, as the articles say, he bought in 2011, the Assessor's records would be up to date. They are updated about 60 days after a property sale. I'll drive by the community after dark some time soon and see how many units have lights on.

I really hope they do sell now that the market's picking up. It's a great looking community and would be nice to have some more residents along Central Ave.
Creeper? LOL, just messing with you...I'm not sure if he is leasing or perhaps he owns the unit that is listed under Hacienda. Sometimes high profile clients, public figures, and the wealthy list under a registered LLC so they have some privacy.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Creeper? LOL, just messing with you...I'm not sure if he is leasing or perhaps he owns the unit that is listed under Hacienda. Sometimes high profile clients, public figures, and the wealthy list under a registered LLC so they have some privacy.
In Arizona the members of LLCs are public information so Arizona LLCs aren't really used for privacy, they're used for liability/tax purposes. Gordon is not a member of either LLC that owns in the Chateau. Typically when high-profile people buy real estate through LLCs they use Delaware LLCs. Delaware does not disclose the members of the LLC, they only disclose the statutory agent. For example, when Palin bought in N. Scottsdale it was through a Delaware LLC.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
In Arizona the members of LLCs are public information so Arizona LLCs aren't really used for privacy, they're used for liability/tax purposes. Gordon is not a member of either LLC that owns in the Chateau. Typically when high-profile people buy real estate through LLCs they use Delaware LLCs because the members are not public information (Remember when Palin bought in N. Scottsdale it was through a Delaware LLC).
Palin...haha, yeah I remember that.

I am a little familiar with business/corporate law and some LLCs do not require members to disclose their identities in public filings. In AZ, the law requires that the Articles of Organization of an Arizona limited liability company contain the name and address of all members if the LLC is member-managed. Members who own 20% or more of the company are also required to disclose identities. If the LLC is held in Trust, names may not have to be disclosed and can remain confidential. LLC's are used for various purposes in these type of transactions: privacy, protection of private wealth, confidential transactions, etc...using an LLC means they hold the title...which makes it more difficult for people to determine the owner of the real estate.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 18, 2013 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
In Arizona the members of LLCs are public information so Arizona LLCs aren't really used for privacy, they're used for liability/tax purposes. Gordon is not a member of either LLC that owns in the Chateau. Typically when high-profile people buy real estate through LLCs they use Delaware LLCs. Delaware does not disclose the members of the LLC, they only disclose the statutory agent. For example, when Palin bought in N. Scottsdale it was through a Delaware LLC.

very interesting. thanks for the school lesson. always find real estate law interesting.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:08 AM

Talking

Quote:

Gordon must of done pretty well, or have some major public speaking deals. book deals to have a $5000-$6000 monthly payment (those are the rents Ive seen posted a few months back)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
Gordon must of done pretty well, or have some major public speaking deals. book deals to have a $5000-$6000 monthly payment (those are the rents Ive seen posted a few months back)
Gordon now works for, and promotes, what was the Chan Soon-Shiong Institute for Advanced Health (CSS Institute)...now known as the Healthcare Transformation Institute (HTI). Not sure how things will develop, but the institute is formed via multiple collaborations including ASU and UofA. The data centers are being constructed and the headquarters was supposed to be located in the Barrister Place Building. Haven't heard much about the HQ in a while...it might all be going on ASU's campus at this point.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 3:36 PM

Mayor Gordon was a successful lawyer before taking office so I'm sure he had some money.

As for LLC disclosure, you can absolutely use them for privacy. I do it for my clients all the time. In a manager-managed LLC, you only have to disclose the owners with 20% or more of an ownership interest. And even with one owner, you can simply give them 19% of the ownership in the LLC and have the company retain the remaining 81% for the future (you need to name a manager for identification on the public records but you can have a shell LLC do that or someone else who doesn't mind be disclosed). Then the only owner is kept out of the public records. For an added layer of security, you can have an LLC owned and managed by another LLC, which is then in turn owned by somebody with less than 20% of the interest in the company. Throw some sort of trust into the mix, and it can be very tough to figure out who owns what.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:12 PM

I know developers and residents in Phoenix seem to like to tear down historic structures in favor of dirt lots and the ones that do stand get covered with ugly facades but here's a nice restoration. The building at the southeast corner of 7th Ave and Thomas had its ugly (stucco?) facade removed and restored to the original brick.

Blech:

Restored:

Now they just need some sort of shade structure out front.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:03 PM

/\ It definitely looks better. A few ghost signs were discovered on the back when they blasted the paint. They are pretty faint, but they will be staying and not painted over. One is a "package store" (liquor store). "Bartlett's bakery", "Angelos", WOBO [sic] Realty", etc.

The building will be getting some cool metal awnings (hopefully made by a local artist/metal works) and also, eventually, some kind of semi-patio area out in front. The chiropractor and disgusting barber shop will be gone soon, replaced by unknown but better things in the future.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
Mayor Gordon was a successful lawyer before taking office so I'm sure he had some money.

As for LLC disclosure, you can absolutely use them for privacy. I do it for my clients all the time. In a manager-managed LLC, you only have to disclose the owners with 20% or more of an ownership interest. And even with one owner, you can simply give them 19% of the ownership in the LLC and have the company retain the remaining 81% for the future (you need to name a manager for identification on the public records but you can have a shell LLC do that or someone else who doesn't mind be disclosed). Then the only owner is kept out of the public records. For an added layer of security, you can have an LLC owned and managed by another LLC, which is then in turn owned by somebody with less than 20% of the interest in the company. Throw some sort of trust into the mix, and it can be very tough to figure out who owns what.
But then you have depositions and debtor's exams to reveal the truth if needed.

Just came back from a week in Honolulu and we will be pleased to know that even a crowded and congested city like Honolulu has empty lots in their built-up urban areas, like Phoenix. Maybe not as many or as large, but they are there.

--don

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 9:06 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ It definitely looks better. A few ghost signs were discovered on the back when they blasted the paint. They are pretty faint, but they will be staying and not painted over. One is a "package store" (liquor store). "Bartlett's bakery", "Angelos", WOBO [sic] Realty", etc.

The building will be getting some cool metal awnings (hopefully made by a local artist/metal works) and also, eventually, some kind of semi-patio area out in front. The chiropractor and disgusting barber shop will be gone soon, replaced by unknown but better things in the future.
What was disgusting about the barber shop?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 9:33 PM

Nothing, if you like old hair everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 12:21 AM

Looking at it from the west it's a decent looking condo building.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
What was disgusting about the barber shop?
I don't want to take a haircut anymore. I had enough already. It's time to move on.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:20 AM

The old apartment complex directly south of the Native Connections project on 2nd Ave is now under renovations. The banner says it's going to be affordable senior housing when finished.
It would be nice to have some housing projects in that area that aren't either student, senior or minority. I'm all for more residential in the downtown area, but how about some developments that cater to everyone rather than all these speciality places going in?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
The old apartment complex directly south of the Native Connections project on 2nd Ave is now under renovations. The banner says it's going to be affordable senior housing when finished.
It would be nice to have some housing projects in that area that aren't either student, senior or minority. I'm all for more residential in the downtown area, but how about some developments that cater to everyone rather than all these speciality places going in?
I think it is a pretty good mix. Usually these special interest housing projects are very small...with the exception of Roosevelt Point. Native Connections and the like range in size from 10-60 units or so. But large market rate buildings, like the apartments over the Palomar, 44 Monroe and Alta, house hundred of units (200-300+). I see this type of mix continuing into the future. A true mixed income community in downtown will create a more organic atmosphere...or so one hopes. Too much gentrification and upscale blocks just sterilizes neighborhoods. Eventually downtown will become an expensive place to live relative to surrounding markets. These special interest housing units will ensure some diversity.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:27 PM

Right now there is a lot of federal money going into student, senior, and low income housing, which is why you are getting these projects. Developers tend to develop that which they can finance the easiest.

With respect to the 11th Ave. and McDowell project, it looks like someone spray painted a bunch of numbers on the wall adjacent to McDowell. I don't speak contractor, but my pie-in-the-sky hope is that it is some instruction to at least lower that wall. Does anybody who actually understands how these things work on the ground have any idea whether that is a possibility?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
Right now there is a lot of federal money going into student, senior, and low income housing, which is why you are getting these projects. Developers tend to develop that which they can finance the easiest.
That is definitely true. I would love to see some modern, low-rise condo's similar to Optima get built south of the I-10. If they reduced the amenities and the outrageous HOA fees I think they would sell pretty quickly.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:29 PM

[Phoenix seeks ideas on how to make downtown more pedestrian-friendly

By Eugene Scott
The Republic | azcentral.com
Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 AM
As part of their ongoing efforts to energize downtown, Phoenix leaders want to make key parts of the city’s core more walkable.

The question is: How?

Should the city close off streets and transform an area into a pedestrian mall? Does downtown need wider sidewalks and more bicycle lanes? Should the city install more shade structures to make Phoenix temperatures bearable?

City officials plan to hire a consultant who will make recommendations to the City Council by summer on just how to make the area more “walkable.”

This next step in downtown’s evolution is one that city officials believe local residents and business owners will embrace.

Valley residents are eager to be out and about in the city, said Aaron Golub, an assistant professor in the Arizona State University School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning.

“Phoenix isn’t New York City, but it has more pedestrian activity at certain hours than it did 10 years ago,” he said. “You have particular events like First Fridays, which prove that people are ready to go out and do some walking.”

Ten consultants submitted proposals to develop a master-plan study. The city hopes to pick one in March.

City officials have identified two potential focus areas: Adams Street between Central Avenue and Second Street, which they say is one of downtown’s most heavily traveled areas by foot. The strip connects the Phoenix Convention Center and three downtown hotels with the heart of the central business district.

They also want to look at First Street between Washington and Monroe streets.

“One of the goals of the study is to explore concepts that maximize connectivity between area businesses, light rail, entertainment venues and hotels,” said Joni Lindsey, project-management assistant for the city’s Community and Economic Development Department.

These potential projects are just a continuation of what the city has already done to make downtown Phoenix more pedestrian-friendly, said Eric Johnson, economic development program manager in the economic-development office. The city has added trees and other vegetation and shading as well as improved sidewalks in some areas.

Councilman Michael Nowakowski has said he’d like to see a pedestrian mall on First Street from Hance Park to the US Airways Center.

“With ASU Downtown expanding, I want students to have something that keeps them in downtown on the weekends and in the evenings,” he said. “Downtown should be a destination point for residents as well as visitors.”

But some downtown activists said pedestrian malls are the wrong step.

“Mostly what happens when cities put in pedestrian malls is the streets become abandoned and the businesses go out of business,” said Will Novak, a member of the Thunderdome Neighborhood Association for Non-Auto Mobility, a group working to make Phoenix more pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly.

Of the more than 200 pedestrian malls that once filled American’s downtowns, fewer than 15 percent still exist, according to Governing Magazine, a Washington, D.C.,-based publication focused on state and local governments.

A downtown Phoenix pedestrian mall would be too similar to Tempe Marketplace and SanTan Village for suburban residents, Novak said.

“If they have a shopping mall near their house, why go all the way downtown to go to something that’s the same?” he asked.

The key to making downtown Phoenix more economically vital is building more bicycle lanes, safer sidewalks and parallel parking, Novak said. This will attract more than just drivers, but people who travel mainly on public transportation, bicycle and foot.

Golub said downtown must become greener if it wants to attract more visitors.

“There’s a need for more shade and trees. The temperatures are very high, ... and they are only going to get higher with climate change,” he said. “The need for human-made shade and trees and natural vegetation will help with low temperatures.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest