HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 10:54 PM

You should check out this thread, it has some pictures and examples of art deco revival buildings:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170894

What we consider true or pure art deco is probably dead. The materials, craftsmanship, detail are just not economically viable these days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
You should check out this thread, it has some pictures and examples of art deco revival buildings:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170894

What we consider true or pure art deco is probably dead. The materials, craftsmanship, detail are just not economically viable these days.
Really? I think all those things have improved greatly. I think nowadays there is more focus on the shape and form of the building as opposed to the smaller ornaments attached.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 12:43 AM
them bones

Parkview Square in Singapore is marvelous...and was quite a suprise when I stumbled upon it in 2006:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 6:55 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

The ParkView Square certainly looks good. It is very clever in the way it makes use of the streamlined corners and the setbacks that are typical of Art Deco but yet does not deviate significantly from the presumably more efficient box shape of modern architecture.

The statues near the top appear lifted directly from the Helsinki train station:

Photo Credit: Flickr user dct66.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 8:20 PM

Has anyone played Bioshock? I think I might take a stroll through Rapture this weekend and take some pics. That game is BIG on art deco architecture mixed with steampunk technology.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 2:14 AM

I think BedHead's description of Art Deco is spot on, and is very important when trying to draw comparisons between time periods. I think there's confusion in this thread about the differences between Art Deco, Modernism, and Post Modernism.

The new "Art Deco" buildings posted here are actually Post Modern buildings. At first they might look similar (though to be honest, I don't know how anyone could think the buildings posted weren't built in the last few decades), but beyond that, they're completely different. The Post Modern buildings reference (but don't copy) the historical style to associate the collective cultural meaning of that style with that building, or maybe to be contextual, or for some other reason.

As far as Art Deco and Modernism, Art Deco did not contribute anything to modernism. Modernism and Art Deco were generally developed around the same time, or if anything, Modernism predates Art Deco. It's just that the US was about 30 years behind the times.

The Bauhaus's Dessau building, in 1926. Photo by 96dpi

Some from the 1930s:
Pavillon Suisse
Ministry of Health & Education

[q]The reason art deco is inspiring is not just because of the beauty of the style itself, but also because its reminiscent of a time when scientific and industrial progress, celebration of the advances thereof, such as major transportation developments, all of this stuff was part of civic culture and people were on a mission of doing great things...[/q]

In the US, many modern projects were like the projects of the 30s on steroids. Extensive urban renewal projects, highway projects, rebuilt government buildings, rebuilt corporate offices, new modernist civic plazas, etc. all of these were meant to be monuments to the new post-war utopia that they were trying to transform their cities into.

Not only that, but progressiveness is part of the essence of modernism. Scientific and industrial progress was embraced in the form of new building technology, intended to both raise the standard of living, and to make such buildings available to more people. At the same time, new developments and interests in sociology, philosophy and other fields were supposed to be applied to the built environment, to also raise the standard of living. What innovations did art deco introduce, except for setbacks? How did art deco contribute to the urban community?

[q]...even though the economy was in the crapper.[/q]

Modernism was primarily developed in Europe, rebuilding from the ashes of World War 1 and World War 2.

[q]Most modern glass and steel architecture is a direct result of developers not wanting to spend extra money on ornamentation and things like civic pride and its reflection on urban community projects can't compare to what they were during the art deco era and before.[/q]

Developers have always tried to maximize profit, and I think just at different times in history, the economic justification for investing extra money has changed (for example, nowadays you *could* use a lot of ornament, but no one would be willing to pay the high rents to cover the cost. Or maybe you could cut out air conditioning and move the money over to ornament, but no one would put up with that either). Developers will pay as little as possible to make as much as possible. Speculative buildings have always been the same in that regard.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:28 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post

LOL wat? Sorry but Prairie style was in no way a branch of Art Deco. Prairie style has completely different origins than Deco and its only real connection to Deco was that its ideas were about equally as influential to the rise of modernism as the ideas of Deco. If anything the two styles converged in modernism. Prairie Style arose almost entirely from the works of Frank Lloyd Wright and other architects influenced by the Louis Sullivan centered Chicago School. Prairie Style began before 1900 and was pretty much done with outside of Chicago by 1925. Thus it came almost entirely before Art Deco was popular in any way. How could it be a branch of Deco?
I half disagree here. Praire is not a subset of Deco, but both Deco and Prairie have origins in Art Nouveau and the Ruskinian Arts and Crafts movement.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 6:12 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncw View Post
.....Modernism was primarily developed in Europe, rebuilding from the ashes of World War 1 and World War 2....
One can argue about where exactly Modernism began, but no-one discounts the primacy of the First Chicago School, of Louis Sullivan, and of FLW, whose buildings were widely admired by the early European Modernists.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 6:48 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

I was under the impression that the development of modernism was complex and that ideas were interchanged across the Atlantic. I have heard that modernists may have been partially influenced by Albert Kahn's utilitarian factory designs.
Here is a picture of the Packard Automobile factory in Detroit which consisted of 40 buildings that were built from 1907 to 1914:

Photo credit: flickr - silentbuildings
Sorry about the bad shape of the buildings (the last Packard rolled off the assembly line in the 1950s). The empty spaces used to have very large multi-pane windows. Here is a shot I took of one of the factory buildings a year earlier:

Photo credit: flickr - me

By the way, Albert Kahn could do Art Deco style as well as evidenced by his 1928 Fisher Building.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:03 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
I was under the impression that the development of modernism was complex and that ideas were interchanged across the Atlantic......
That is my sense too. Btw, great pics.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
(on a random side note, that diagram also highlights the parallels between the Chrysler-ESB combo and the JHC-Sears combo. Both were really tall buildings emblematic of their style, the shorter ones in both cases are usually thought to be the superior buildings, while the taller buildings obscure their fame and take the spotlight)
very cool that you pointed that out, because i used to think i was the only one who noticed little things like that!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:50 PM

edit

Last edited by The North One; May 1, 2017 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
it would always give me a dark depressing feeling.
At worst, it can be rather totalitarian. At best however it can be very regal.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:03 PM
low life in a tall place

In Sweden we've always recognized Functionalism as the predecessor to modernism. There's basically no actual Art Deco in Scandinavia (only some buildings influenced by it). I think the "decorative thing" ended here earlier than in many other parts of Europe and on the other side of the Atlantic. But then again, architecture around these parts of the world have barely changed since the 1920s. There are plenty of buildings built today that look similar to the functionalism from the 1930s etc.

These are from the 1920s or pre-Art Deco:

Dessau

Weissenhofsiedlung

Malmö

Malmö

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:08 AM

Two examples for some new art deco in Berlin.

The awsome Beisheim Center at the Potsdamer Platz

http://static.panoramio.com

http://upload.wikimedia.org

And the shoppingmall Alexa close to Alexanderplatz, looks better from the inside then from the outside

http://www.muhs.de

http://www.genennig.de

cdn.fotocommunity.com

http://media.live2.tipsbytrips.de

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:02 PM
I am a typical

I don't think I would consider those to be art deco. Inspired by it, maybe, but not enough to deserve the name. They're clearly post-modern.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:24 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Philly's Mellon Bank Building and Bell Atlantic Tower, while not being considered Art Deco per se, certainly both have Art Deco influences.

I'll get Mellon photos the next time I'm in CC, and here's a photo of the BAT reflected off of Comcast:

Mine!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:05 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Walter Gropius would be rolling in his grave if he saw his Bauhaus compared to this monstrosity:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 12:00 AM

The Atlantic...46 floors/577'...Atlanta

(photos by ls1z28chris)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 12:44 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Not a big building but the new Regal Cinemas that just opened in Downtown LA is definitely art deco even if not all that inspiring:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture