HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 12:33 AM

haha^^^ same view I have when looking down

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:32 AM

^ What a coincidence.

In other news, it looks as though they are full throttle on the AMC renovations. They had a couple tractors out front this morning and put up a construction fence. Zipps is being built right now too.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 5:31 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the project being planned at Terrace and Apache? Two 8-story buildings housing a bunch of sororities? I don't remember it being in this thread, but I'm not 100% sure about all of the proposals along Terrace from Rural to Apache.

Maybe someone with a lot of knowledge of the area can post some info... I know there was the big one near the Rural light rail station on the east side of Rural on Terrace. Then there was the "flatiron" looking one on Terrace and Lemon. Then this possible one in the planning stages at Apache. Is that right?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:18 PM

If you look through Tempe's new General Plan, you'll see they've adopted/want to adopt new zoning for areas along Apache that are adjacent to "character" neighborhoods, as a result of the Gracie's debacle. This project was referenced several times, so I would imagine it will face opposition and be scaled back significantly if the developer even thinks it's worth the fight/effort.

And, yes, that's a good summary. 8th and Rural has 2 towers planned in phases, but has yet to take off for a few years, though they did finally demolish the commercial building somewhat recently. The "Flatiron" structure is "The Grand," and has also been quiet for a bit.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:44 PM

Thanks for the info.

I heard there was already opposition, and that it was already scaled back from 16 stories.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:15 PM

I drove by The Grand site the other day. No movement, no signs.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I drove by The Grand site the other day. No movement, no signs.
Where is it located? I haven't heard of this project yet?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
Where is it located? I haven't heard of this project yet?
1010 E Lemon (between Lemon and Terrace)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 3:03 AM

I'm not sure we'll be seeing any of these. I'm surprised that Hub II is being proposed, but for the sake of that part of downtown and the glut of empty retail, I hope that one at least gets built since it is just increasing the density of an already-built project. Otherwise, I have to think the supply of student housing has finally met demand... Until Vista del Sol, there were literally no options for upperclassmen within walking distance of campus, but that landscape has changed quite significantly and not only is it less attractive to developers, it's going to reach a point of oversaturation that can't be healthy for the city. You can't have that much of a contrast between peak and off-peak times of the year in terms of population, especially when thinking of retail support and vitality. Arizona has a built-in contrast given that it is going to be less walkable in the summer due to the heat/heat island, but I don't see how businesses can succeed if the population difference between October and July grows larger and larger.

Once the office market catches up (for example, Marina Heights), hopefully we'll see a trend toward market rate projects to balance all of these student projects. Apache, especially, is a great opportunity for diverse, affordable residential options right on the light rail, and I don't think sorority towers are necessarily the best longterm use of its properties. Though, I also don't think limiting height along that corridor is the best longterm use, either... If 4 stories was a struggle at Gracie's, I hope that isn't the precedent for height restrictions.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 3:56 PM

Jjs5056 just keeps the negativity coming.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I find his posts to be well thought out and usually brings up many points that are never posted on SSP.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

I find his posts to be well thought out and usually brings up many points that are never posted on SSP.
I don't always agree with JJs but his posts are always well thought out and reasoned.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 12:42 AM

Negative? I think he is completely correct. I talked to a friend who works at 922 Place, he said that it was difficult to lease out this year. Also, he said last month they still had vacancies. Also, earlier in the year I remember the Republic having an article describing the struggles of older student housing options filling vacancies (Vista Del Sol).
I think there needs to be an increase in market rate projects and less student housing. I live in Tempe 365 days of the year and during the summer and winter months you can see the dramatic decline in business. I don't know if this affects business, but either way it's a little annoying how dead it is.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 2:10 PM

Chili's Tempe Location Closing on January 8 to Make Way for USA Basketball Developmen

Quote:
The popular Chili's location in downtown Tempe will close its doors on January 8, ending a 25-year run as one the area's most stable restaurants.
Located at the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive since 1989, Chili's Tempe lasted through several periods of immense change in the downtown area near Arizona State University.
The restaurant also was allowed to stay even as ASU decided to boot out other businesses in the 10.5-acre plot of land at that corner, like the old Stabler's Market and Sack's Sandwiches.

ASU long has had big plans for the defunct strip mall at the high-profile location, but it stayed a dilapidated ghost-mall for many years -- with the Chili's on its grassy knoll -- as various development ideas sunk.

In July, though, USA Basketball announced that it had made a deal with ASU to build a $350 million new home at the site called USA Place. USA Basketball, headquartered in Colorado until the project is finished (possibly by 2015), trains and selects America's basketball Olympic teams in addition to promoting the sport in general. The massive development will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center, a 4,500-seat exhibition arena, a 330-room luxury hotel, a 500-unit apartment complex, and retail and office space.

Chili's corporate office confirmed for New Times that the Tempe location's doors will close at 2 p.m. Wednesday, January 8, the expiration date of a lease that isn't being renewed.

"We are very grateful to the loyal guests who have visited the restaurant over the years," company officials said in a statement.

Employees are being transferred to other locations.

"We're sad to be closing our doors, as this was a very popular restaurant to our local community," says Julie Flowers, Chili's spokeswoman.

As popular as Chili's was, USA Place is expected to draw 300,000 yearly visitors once it's completed. For Mill Avenue, which still has barren storefronts left over from the ravages of the Great Recession, the new development no doubt will be even better than bacon-wrapped shrimp.

UPDATE -- Flowers e-mailed just as we were finishing up this post with news of another closing. The Chili's at 2057 East Camelback Road will be shuttered on Monday, January 6, also to make way for new development, she says.

Don't stress if you like the chain, though -- after January 8, there will still be 24 Chili's in metro Phoenix.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...on_closing.php

Hopefully construction is underway soon. I wasn't aware of any development at 20th and Camelback though. I really liked that location. It's unfortunate we're losing a unique location. Hopefully it's replaced with something better.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 5:48 PM
BANNED

I'm pretty excited for Tempe with this project. Have there been any renderings?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I'm pretty excited for Tempe with this project. Have there been any renderings?
Future Cities renderings of USA Place

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 1:24 AM

That looks pretty great...talk about transforming that area! The hotel is the tallest structure at 222'.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 4:20 AM
BANNED

^^^Thanks!

The hotel should be an Omni from what I've read. They generally have nice properties, both urban settings and resorts.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 6:36 PM

Marina Heights 2nd Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Didn't realize my comment over thinking Marina Heights was getting built in phases would be such a big deal. Thanks for the reassurance that it will all get built, and explaining the construction process for the project. There have just been so many stalled big-name projects in Tempe over the years... Makes it hard to not worrry. I still wish "phase 1" started a little further west, but no big deal.

"Resturants for employees along the river" is such a sad statement - not directed at you, but at the attitude toward all lakefront development. The restaurants and retail components should be for the community at large and integrated into the existing environment - in this case, connecting to both Rio Salado and the lake to allow visibility and access to all of the public. The lake is a community asset- the best community asset in the Valley- and development needs to respect that and build accordingly.

To the person asking about M7 - that is the empty lot south of the old Borders/new Stake n Shake. It was to house a large project called M7 with condos, a hotel, conference center, retail, etc. And, yes, the renderings are sad to look at.
M

Second Crane going up at Marina Heights Today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest