HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Taking the Expo line the other day I noticed some work going on in between the stations down into the Grandview cut. Is this part of station renos or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
That is for the new second platform ar Broadway station connecting to Commercail to handle the increased load from evergreen line. people needing to go downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm quite sure that's just an expansion of the concourse and not the platform construction itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
The work in the Grandview cut is in preparation of widening the existing walkway from the Commercial station concourse down to the platforms.

Here's a look at it from Commercial Drive.

Aug.19 '15, my pic

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Here's a look around the east side of the Main Street-Science World Station where the new Starbucks will go.

Aug.18 '15, my pics

Well good on Starbucks.. they took the east side, which arguably isn't as strong of a location as the west side. But they're Starbucks so they can make it work. I'd be willing to bet the rent on the east side is cheaper than the west side..?

The real question now is who's going to move into the west side spots if not Starbucks? And it really is doubtful that this location could support two Starbucks side by side a-la the above mentioned previous Robson & Thurlow configuration.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 5:21 AM

Probably a pizza joint and a convenience store.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 8:06 AM
See ya down under, mates

I can't believe how much better Main st station looks now. Went by it today for the first time since it finished. Or at least looks finished.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I can't believe how much better Main st station looks now. Went by it today for the first time since it finished. Or at least looks finished.
It definitely leaves a good first impression on tourists who might be walking up to it for their first use of Skytrain. The old station was gloomy and a bit frightening and hard to navigate. If I was from out of town and walked the seawall and went up to it to ride Skytrain back to my hotel downtown, I would probably turn around and walk back before. But now, it's bright and inviting. It has a really good feel to it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Probably a pizza joint and a convenience store.
FreshSlice blargh

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:23 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Brought my bike into the west station house yesterday, and it's awesome. The elevator is fast, and this will now be one of the few stations with a DOWN escalator, if only on one side. Huge props for making that happen, even if it should be happening everywhere.

Maybe one day they can build a walkway over Quebec to the Seawall. It might be necessary once the viaducts come down and Quebec becomes busier.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM

Real estate info sheet for the two units available at Main Street: http://sitings.ca/wp/wp-content/uplo..._Translink.pdf

Other retail spots under Translink auspices are here as well: http://sitings.ca/translink-projects/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Here's a look at it from Commercial Drive.

Aug.19 '15, my pic
Is there still room in the cut to double track the train tracks someday? Would be nice to get a commuter rail down to SoF using the cut as it's route through Vancouver, perhaps with a transfer station at Broadway-Commercial before it heads downtown.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:51 PM

Yes, the M-Line was built so the BNSF track could be double-tracked.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:53 PM

I walked to the far end of Metrotown Station and the cement block where the elevator was is completely gone and covered up with plywood that had 'open shaft' (or something similar). It's still totally blocked off with fencing and mesh, so no worries about the general public getting too close to it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:28 AM

Some of the metal mesh at the south side of the platform has been removed. Is that going to be replaced by glass?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 7:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
Some of the metal mesh at the south side of the platform has been removed. Is that going to be replaced by glass?
It is supposed to be.

See:
http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Docu...ember_2014.pdf

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
All done with this part and waiting for the next phase.

March 19 '15, my pic

About six months later…

Commercial-Broadway Station, Sept.9 '15, my pic

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:11 AM

There's a porta-potty now, so things are moving along.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 6:57 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I can't understand how slow that project is moving. It can't be ready in time for the Evergreen Line opening.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I can't understand how slow that project is moving. It can't be ready in time for the Evergreen Line opening.
If you believe the Evergreen line will be open in Fall 2016.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
The Evergreen Line will probably open in early 2017, so that gives them about 16-18 months to finish this. That definitely seems achievable.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 2:07 AM

i read somewhere back, i cant remember, that the Expo Line platforms could be cut back for wider trains. is this true? if so, does anyone know if the Millennium Line stations were built to be capable of this? i could see this being a good option in the future.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i read somewhere back, i cant remember, that the Expo Line platforms could be cut back for wider trains. is this true? if so, does anyone know if the Millennium Line stations were built to be capable of this? i could see this being a good option in the future.
Yes it is true. If you look at both Expo and Millennium Line stations, the yellow Lego style platform edge tiles are actually on an overhang.

The overhang would be removed, and the yellow Lego tiles set back to be flush with the actual edge of the platform.

IMO the best time to have done this was with the opening of the Millennium line back in 2002 with a fresh fleet of new wider MK II's to retire ALL the MK I's.

Logistically, the bigger the network gets, the more difficult this becomes. In addition, if we made the switch back then, we 'only' would have had to throw away 114 MK I cars.

Now that number will be what, about 350?

The NDP really should have made the switch to wider cars as part of the Millennium Line project. Also with the huge difference between a MKI and MKII cars (air conditioning etc...), it would have been much easier back then to justify to the public why we have to throw out 114 MKI cars.

Good luck selling throwing out MKII and MKIII cars to the public though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure