HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 3:06 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Carré Saint-Louis [1050 Canadian Shield Ave] | 22m | 6f | U/C

Lépine Corporation is proposing the development of a terraced three to six-storey mixed-use community at 1050 Canadian Shield Avenue, with facades framing Canadian Shield Avenue, Great Lakes Avenue and Campeau Drive. The development will have a total gross floor area of 25,286 square metres, comprising 244 residential units and three commercial units occupying 274 square metres of floor space at grade. Unit types will range from one to three bedrooms.

Parking for the proposed development will be provided fully below grade on two levels and will total 348 spaces, including 10 barrier-free parking spaces and will be accessed from Canadian Shield Avenue. Bicycle parking will also be provided internal to the building with 124 spaces available.

The building will be three-storeys along Campeau Drive, with building height stepping up in the direction of Canadian Shield Avenue. This gradual stepped design has been chosen to deliberately accommodate height transition between the two-storey townhouses to the north, across Campeau Drive, and the ten-storey building to the south.

Architect: NEUF Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0104/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 10:19 PM

Can't believe this area has remained undeveloped for so long (I mean not surprising why but still), looking forward for this density! Hopefully this brings more restaurants/pubs/bars to the area, with LRT Phase 3 that will make an amazing place to go out to

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:45 PM

Not a fan of this faux-chateau architecture, I find it pretty tacky.

Also, not a fan of this area as a whole... It really is a mix-match of high rises placed sporadically around. The density is good but they should've had the buildings closer to the street and have some cafes/shops at street-level instead of this suburban mess.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:22 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Not a fan of this faux-chateau architecture, I find it pretty tacky.
Truth. Those fake castle turrets with arched windows have Ugly Canada thread all over them. Might as well add some clocks and some orange and brown stucco if this is the aesthetic they're going for.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:44 PM

The whole area is like a glimpse into an architect's training. The buildings get more ornate as they are built. Each additional building advances in style and gaudiness.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 2:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated (January 2022)

Expanded ground floor commercial spaces and direct pedestrian access. Updated cladding. Still not classy enough, though, to entice the Bentley owner to rent a unit.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:55 PM

This whole area is getting out of hand! Building 04/06 has some kind of insane cheap nautical theme and the others seem to be a mish-mash of architectural styles, flags, and general nonsense. I'm all for diversity in new developments but this is too far!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 4:21 PM

I have made a similar analogy in this thread before, but I'll repeat it: This whole area looks like a timeline of a talentless new architect's learning process. The buildings started off simple with brutal lines and each successive building gets more and more ornate and gaudy.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:58 AM
Mooderator

What a moronic street name. Ooh sorry, 'avenue'.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:48 PM

At least all these buildings are giving a place for widowed old people in Kanata to die at....or at least that is what I noticed in the big apartments on Campeau when my MOL lived there years ago. It was crazy how few apartments Kanata had at the time so any older person selling their house who wanted to stay in the area was willing to pay insane rents to live there. Minimum 1 ambulance pick-up per building per day over there.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Minimum 1 ambulance pick-up per building per day over there.
Is there a paramedic station nearby? If not, seems like a good spot to build one.

Interesting how we see fire stations everywhere, but I can't recall seeing a whole lot of paramedic stations (or whatever they are called). You'd think they would be more spread-out considering the origin points are all over the city, but destinations are only a handful of hospitals.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:38 PM

But anyway, some horrid architecture going up in Kanata for sure, but at least we have some solid density and street level retail, with minimal surface parking. One of the few suburban areas that could support transit even without the high levels of weekday commuters.

I could see someone live a life between Kanata Lakes (residential/retail), Terry Fox (cinema, restaurants, retail) and the Corel Centre (hockey, concerts and other events), all along the future O-Train Line.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Is there a paramedic station nearby? If not, seems like a good spot to build one.

Interesting how we see fire stations everywhere, but I can't recall seeing a whole lot of paramedic stations (or whatever they are called). You'd think they would be more spread-out considering the origin points are all over the city, but destinations are only a handful of hospitals.
Yes, very close by. Check!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
But anyway, some horrid architecture going up in Kanata for sure, but at least we have some solid density and street level retail, with minimal surface parking. One of the few suburban areas that could support transit even without the high levels of weekday commuters.
Yeah, the morphology on this one is allllmmmooooossssttt consistent with our supposed municipal aspirations.

Glad to see someone's setback fetish got put into check a little.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:09 PM

I'm going to buck the trend here somewhat and say that I actually don't mind it. It's not that it fits in with its surroundings, or compliments the area's other buildings in any way... it's that it's different! (Although, there's a building going up at the corner of Campeau and Maritime Way that this one might sort of compliment... TBD)

I'm just happy to see something different for once, not the typical Ottawa plain, grey or brown cubes that get built everywhere.

It's a terrible reason to like something, but it seems to me it's all we've got in Ottawa. For that reason, I'll take it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:

As Rocketphish mentioned, there actually is an ambulance station (or paramedic post, as they're officially called) nearby, at 50 Lord Byng Way. The reason we notice fire stations everywhere but not paramedic posts is because the latter are often tucked away in low profile locations, likely because they do not have the same space requirements as a fire station. For example, if you see an ambulance that seemingly came out of nowhere driving down Robertson Rd. in Bell's Corners, it likely came from this post at 20-106 Bexley Pl. Some other examples include this post tucked under a residential building at 101 Catherine St. or this one in a city yard off Industrial Dr.

Of course, there are also some more prominent posts that resemble a smaller fire station like this one at 738 Gladstone Ave.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 8:00 PM

Thanks Rocketphish and DTcrawler! Fascinating how Paramedic Posts (I'll try to remember that now) go from virtually invisible to reasonably noticeable, like this one near King Edward:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4330...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 12:28 AM

The draw of this area, though, is obviously not the architecture. There are lots of nature trails, easy access to transit and shopping, a great golf course 500m away, and relatively good street level interaction in lieu of a sea of parking. Just more fun being critical sometimes!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 11:02 PM

Yuck, I want to like Lepine... But my god their builds are cheap looking. Everything is precast wall systems that mimic brick walls and they end up looking like plastic.

Every building in that development is God awful as well, and I'm almost certain one of them was named the ugliest building in Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson1474 View Post

Every building in that development is God awful as well, and I'm almost certain one of them was named the ugliest building in Ottawa
If you want to see one of the ugliest buildings in Ottawa, cross the highway on Castlefrank and check out the old folks home on the right, right after crossing the highway overpass. Now that's ugly! It looks like a mental institution!

I agree that many of the Kanata town centre's buildings aren't anything special, but they are far superior to more everything else that gets built in this city. (Claridge's Andaz, the towers at Gloucester Centre, etc.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs