HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Le Peterson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
A serious bunch of Montréal projects suddenly came out of the woods. You guys kept them hidden for long.
Maybe when all these are built, they'll bring something real tall at last.
Yes, we have some antiquated rules about skyscraper heights limited to the height of Mount Royal. It is very difficult to have a project approved on certain lots in downtown that would indeed be perfect for a very tall building.

This series of new condos and one possible office tower is good news for the city. A new push for heights in the core of the city as opposed to Griffintown, and L'ile des Soeurs.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:15 PM
testify

someone told me (i think it was paul-andré linteau's montreal history class at uqam) that this rule, often cited, doesn't exist. indeed, when the place ville-marie was being built, there was no height limit at all, they essentially just kept building it until they were satisfied with the height, quite a weird story to contemplate these days. personally, i hate that tower and wish that there were some sort of rule that would have kept it at like 40 meters.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
someone told me (i think it was paul-andré linteau's montreal history class at uqam) that this rule, often cited, doesn't exist. indeed, when the place ville-marie was being built, there was no height limit at all, they essentially just kept building it until they were satisfied with the height, quite a weird story to contemplate these days. personally, i hate that tower and wish that there were some sort of rule that would have kept it at like 40 meters.
I can't tell if you're serious but if you hate the most iconic tower in Montreal you're crazy!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
someone told me (i think it was paul-andré linteau's montreal history class at uqam) that this rule, often cited, doesn't exist. indeed, when the place ville-marie was being built, there was no height limit at all, they essentially just kept building it until they were satisfied with the height,
Your prof is completely nut. If he really said that in class, he should be fired.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:18 PM
testify

linteau is the most famous montreal historian alive, so if that's not correct, it's almost certainly me that got it wrong. and i actually audited the course, which i heartily recommend for all who've the interest (and speak french). wikipedia says that the height limit in montreal is the mountain, but it's not sourced and it could just be something that some clever concordia fellow put up there because he thinks he heard it repeated somewhere.

as for the place ville-marie, i just can't stand anything about it. imo, super ugly, grotesquely tall, distorting the skyline and completely destroying the street level. people don't really get what quebec and montreal were about at this time, but this one is the product of a major collective over-compensation, like the monstrous rad-can tower and a few others (cathedral esp). personally, i dislike many, maybe even most of the taller towers in montreal, and virtually everything built in the 1980s and 1990s (still can't believe how ugly the cours-mont royal conversion turned out. it was only with the victoria square redevelopments that we actually started getting some nice architecture, and louis-boheme was the first one that i actually genuinely love. rene-levesque blvd just makes me bored and depressed and the less said about the maisonneuve corridor, the better. they just cheaped out on everything and the city, so desperate for development, let them get away with murder. it's a very gloomy time in the history of the city, and it all started with the place ville-marie.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:33 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
linteau is the most famous montreal historian alive, so if that's not correct, it's almost certainly me that got it wrong. and i actually audited the course, which i heartily recommend for all who've the interest (and speak french). wikipedia says that the height limit in montreal is the mountain, but it's not sourced and it could just be something that some clever concordia fellow put up there because he thinks he heard it repeated somewhere.

as for the place ville-marie, i just can't stand anything about it. imo, super ugly, grotesquely tall, distorting the skyline and completely destroying the street level. people don't really get what quebec and montreal were about at this time, but this one is the product of a major collective over-compensation, like the monstrous rad-can tower and a few others (cathedral esp). personally, i dislike many, maybe even most of the taller towers in montreal, and virtually everything built in the 1980s and 1990s (still can't believe how ugly the cours-mont royal conversion turned out. it was only with the victoria square redevelopments that we actually started getting some nice architecture, and louis-boheme was the first one that i actually genuinely love. rene-levesque blvd just makes me bored and depressed and the less said about the maisonneuve corridor, the better. they just cheaped out on everything and the city, so desperate for development, let them get away with murder. it's a very gloomy time in the history of the city, and it all started with the place ville-marie.
Very well said, HOWEVER, you hate PVM...but love Louis Boheme? That building is one of the ugliest high rises I've seen with my own eyes. It belongs in the Concordia Ghetto, not place des festivals. Pre-fab, monolithic black concrete? No thanks.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:39 PM

Linteau is the most famous Montreal historian alive!

What? Did somebody just kill the other ones?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
wikipedia says that the height limit in montreal is the mountain, but it's not sourced and it could just be something that some clever concordia fellow put up there because he thinks he heard it repeated somewhere.
Ce règlement existe, voilà une source:
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/p..._schema=PORTAL
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...auteurs_25.pdf

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:

Sounds pretty hollow now doesnt it?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:00 PM

Here's the original model for Place Ville-Marie, proving that the building was planned like it is.

http://www.memorablemontreal.com

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:48 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Very well said, HOWEVER, you hate PVM...but love Louis Boheme? That building is one of the ugliest high rises I've seen with my own eyes. It belongs in the Concordia Ghetto, not place des festivals. Pre-fab, monolithic black concrete? No thanks.
i don't agree. louis-boheme works perfectly at street level, even mayor street. beautiful profile at all three streetside elevations, massing that i find elegant (i really dislike the podium/point type tower that dominates further down maisonneuve, for instance). and the finishings are great too, with excellent and non-montreal fenestration and colors. not to mention the incorporation of the metro station, which i think was beautifully done. now contrast all those positive aspects with virtually any residential tower built in the city in the post war era (not counting conversions, obviously). even including the nice scale around the monument national - which i believe was built to hotel - we don't have anything so well achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Linteau is the most famous Montreal historian alive!
What? Did somebody just kill the other ones?
for professional, academic historians of the city of montreal, there's really only linteau and marsan in the same league, the deans of the field. and since linteau is a far more complete historian - a full scale social historian - i'd definitely rate him above marsan. that said, impossible that i could have come away from a marsan seminar with the erroneous impression that the priority of the mount wasn't the basis of mtl's maximal height limits, and just an urban legend.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
i don't agree. louis-boheme works perfectly at street level, even mayor street. beautiful profile at all three streetside elevations, massing that i find elegant (i really dislike the podium/point type tower that dominates further down maisonneuve, for instance). and the finishings are great too, with excellent and non-montreal fenestration and colors. not to mention the incorporation of the metro station, which i think was beautifully done. now contrast all those positive aspects with virtually any residential tower built in the city in the post war era (not counting conversions, obviously). even including the nice scale around the monument national - which i believe was built to hotel - we don't have anything so well achieved.

for professional, academic historians of the city of montreal, there's really only linteau and marsan in the same league, the deans of the field. and since linteau is a far more complete historian - a full scale social historian - i'd definitely rate him above marsan. that said, impossible that i could have come away from a marsan seminar with the erroneous impression that the priority of the mount wasn't the basis of mtl's maximal height limits, and just an urban legend.
I don't get your meaning but if you care to take a look at the map on the second link Eustache posted, it says clearly on the bottom right that no building can exceed the mountain's height.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:16 AM
testify

if you don't get my meaning, then why bother wasting people's time by posting?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:05 AM

This whole page, I don't get it! Chill out and grab a beer (or 12!).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:40 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpuant View Post
grab a beer (or 12!).
Ok. If you say so.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:43 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Here's the original model for Place Ville-Marie, proving that the building was planned like it is.

http://www.memorablemontreal.com
This is great. You can really tell PVM was planned to dominate. The surrounding phases were deliberately built low to make the tower look taller. I suspect that the low height of the highrises built on rene-Levesque in the 1960's were also meant to give PVM the dominant status.

Too bad the people who built PVM didn't forecast Toronto's TD centre, which completely eclipsed oyr beloved PVM, CIBC and Bourse.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:24 PM

And another thing, etc...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:59 PM

By martinmtl at 2012-04-26

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:11 PM
Look at me!

And as we sink back down to the realm of mediocrity...

Really?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:24 PM

Well if you look at the previous renderings, I'm not surprised by the look of this tower. The first rendering available was a view from the sidewalk/street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive