HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Legacy at Millennium Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 1:42 PM

Lane Bryant store on tap near Millennium Pk.

March 24, 2006

BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter Advertisement

Lane Bryant, a plus-size fashion store for women, will open a new store at the posh Heritage at Millennium Park condo building in August to replace its existing store at 29 S. Wabash.

The Lane Bryant store on Wabash is among the retail chain's best performers, but the building where it is located is being torn down to make way for the 72-story Legacy at Millennium Park, a sister condo development to the Heritage. The Legacy will span part of the Jewelers Row district at 21-39 S. Wabash, while the 57-story Heritage is at the southeast corner of Randolph and Wabash.

The 7,000-square-foot Lane Bryant store at the Heritage condos will feature an enhanced lingerie department, said company spokeswoman Catherine Lippincott.

Lane Bryant, which sells women's apparel sizes 14 and above, will open a second store in August at 824 W. North Ave.

The retailer will debut its lingerie-only store, Cacique, at the Poplar Creek Crossing mall in Hoffman Estates in August, and in north suburban Kildeer in September.

Women who wear plus sizes are an underserved market, and they have few options when buying lingerie, Lippincott said.

Indeed, the plus-size market is expected to grow 10 percent in the next five years, according to the Mintel retail forecasting firm.

The Chicago area will see a variety of other new retail developments, as evidenced by these store openings:

*Annie Sez, a store new to the Midwest that sells designer labels at discount prices, will open a store Saturday at the Crossroads Shopping Center in Highland Park, followed by a second store at 10 S. State Street in the Loop in May. The store's parent company, Big M Inc., will also open a store for juniors, called Mandee, in the Chicago area this year;

*American Apparel, which sells casual clothes with no logos and declares itself "sweatshop free," will open its fifth store in the Chicago market at 3126 N. Broadway this spring;

*Lucy Activewear, a women's fitness apparel store, will open four new stores by fall, boosting its total in the Chicago area to five. The first store opened last fall at Deer Park Town Center. The new stores will open March 31 on Main Street in Naperville, at Northbrook Court mall in May, at Oakbrook Center in June and at Water Tower Place shopping center in October

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...in-lane24.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111
Lane Bryant store on tap near Millennium Pk.

March 24, 2006

BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter Advertisement

Lane Bryant, a plus-size fashion store for women, will open a new store at the posh Heritage at Millennium Park condo building in August to replace its existing store at 29 S. Wabash.

The Lane Bryant store on Wabash is among the retail chain's best performers, but the building where it is located is being torn down to make way for the 72-story Legacy at Millennium Park, a sister condo development to the Heritage. The Legacy will span part of the Jewelers Row district at 21-39 S. Wabash, while the 57-story Heritage is at the southeast corner of Randolph and Wabash.

The 7,000-square-foot Lane Bryant store at the Heritage condos will feature an enhanced lingerie department, said company spokeswoman Catherine Lippincott.

Lane Bryant, which sells women's apparel sizes 14 and above, will open a second store in August at 824 W. North Ave.

The retailer will debut its lingerie-only store, Cacique, at the Poplar Creek Crossing mall in Hoffman Estates in August, and in north suburban Kildeer in September.

Women who wear plus sizes are an underserved market, and they have few options when buying lingerie, Lippincott said.

Indeed, the plus-size market is expected to grow 10 percent in the next five years, according to the Mintel retail forecasting firm.

The Chicago area will see a variety of other new retail developments, as evidenced by these store openings:

*Annie Sez, a store new to the Midwest that sells designer labels at discount prices, will open a store Saturday at the Crossroads Shopping Center in Highland Park, followed by a second store at 10 S. State Street in the Loop in May. The store's parent company, Big M Inc., will also open a store for juniors, called Mandee, in the Chicago area this year;

*American Apparel, which sells casual clothes with no logos and declares itself "sweatshop free," will open its fifth store in the Chicago market at 3126 N. Broadway this spring;

*Lucy Activewear, a women's fitness apparel store, will open four new stores by fall, boosting its total in the Chicago area to five. The first store opened last fall at Deer Park Town Center. The new stores will open March 31 on Main Street in Naperville, at Northbrook Court mall in May, at Oakbrook Center in June and at Water Tower Place shopping center in October

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...in-lane24.html
LOL....Lane Giant

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 5:06 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Just a preview. The base is unfinished and therefore conveniently out of sight.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 5:18 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Also, on a related note, I've noticed a great synergy between Legacy and the as yet secret (but frickin' tall) 830 South Michigan. I'll post some renders tomorrow, but they really do a great job of framing the Loop/South Loop area.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 9:00 PM
Vertigo City

^ dude! you friggen rock man! the texture is unbelievable... its BETTER than that first damn rendering from that angle! awesome work!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 9:19 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Classic Postcard

Aerial looking SW.

Ground shots (left one would be my favorite)

From Hypothetical 120th floor restaurant of Fordham Spire

Sears Tower 103rd floor Skydeck

A new angle - Waterview Tower Penthouse

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 9:50 PM

Dude, you are unbelievable. My best understand of the future of chicago's skyline comes from you computer models.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 10:21 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

^ Very true indeed!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 12:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvpeto
Soleri, I agree with you about their need to be saved. I am happy they are being incorporated w/ the building, like the Heritage. But I seem to remember the groups did not want the building built period.
This reply is really late, but to set the record straight, only one of Chicago's two major preservation groups opposed this project. Their argument was based on the building's location in the landmark district. The argument (total nonsense to me) was not that the historic buildings were being reduced to mere facades, but that the building's height would somehow diminish the value of the historic district altogether. Huh? It's in the middle of downtown Chicago!!! Some of the buildings in the district themselves are 20 stories!! If they had argued about tearing down historic buildings, I might have seen their point.

The other preservation group had no official position, as the buildings were already Landmarked, and therefore the city's Landmarks Commission review committee was in nearly complete control of the outcome.

As a very firm preservationist, I think the outcome from this building is just about as good as it could have been. And the restoration of the Sharp building ground level is just whipped-cream on the cake. Now, if we could restore the Sullivan buildings around this project (it abuts Sullivan buildings on two sides)...

Last edited by honte; Apr 8, 2006 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 4:48 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
As a very firm preservationist, I think the outcome from this building is just about as good as it could have been. And the restoration of the Sharp building ground level is just whipped-cream on the cake. Now, if we could restore the Sullivan buildings around this project (it abuts Sullivan buildings on two sides)...
Just as much as development threatens historic buildings, so does blight. It's definitely a two-edged sword. Perhaps having a shiny new building right next to some Sullivan period pieces will be a net boost to their chances of long term preservation. To me, the architectural gems in old, obsolete areas are just as, if not more, "at risk" as the historic buildings within a thriving market.

I am a preservationist myself, but I have realized over the last few years of hyper-development (and I think you would agree with this statement, honte) that being such does not require a basic attitude of anti-development. To me, this is where so many preservation groups go wrong.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 3:59 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsider
Perhaps having a shiny new building right next to some Sullivan period pieces will be a net boost to their chances of long term preservation.
Absolutely. I am not against this development in any way. In fact, I have seen some preliminary information from the Landmarks Commission that the owner of the Gage Group on Michigan Avenue (Sullivan / Holabird and Root) is planning to restore their ground floor. I'm not sure exactly how much / how good of a restoration is planned, but that's fantastic news, and it's definitely due to an influx of interest in the area from projects like this and from the park.

It would be a dream to see those buildings perfectly restored, with this great modern work rising in the background. Looks like it may actually happen?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 2:23 AM

The Friday edition of the WSJ, weekend section, had an advertisement for the building. The ad claimed the tower is now 60% 'sold' and preconstruction pricing will end soon.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 4:25 AM

Its amazing to me how in chicago an 800' tall building can actually "blend" into the surrounding buildings. I love Chicago!

Great renderings, you have some real talent. I have messed around with 3D studio a lot, and can no way duplicate the work you are doing. Too bad every city can't have renderings like the ones you are creating.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 4:30 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^It just takes some time and playing around with a few of the settings.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 8:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago92
The Friday edition of the WSJ, weekend section, had an advertisement for the building. The ad claimed the tower is now 60% 'sold' and preconstruction pricing will end soon.
^ I love that

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
Registered

Ground Break soon?

MWC reports that the building "has broke ground [sic]" in their May 2006 edition. They also name Walsh as the GC.

I drove past the site today, and didn't see anything going on. But perhaps a groundbreaking is going to happen soon?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 12:05 AM

Demolition

I was in the sales office Friday and was told demolition starts July 1 and ground breaking ceremony to follow. hope this is reliable.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 4:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdr2
I was in the sales office Friday and was told demolition starts July 1 and ground breaking ceremony to follow. hope this is reliable.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

60% sold, groundbreaking two months away, and completion not for a few years thereafter... That's about as good a track record as any developer could ask for. It's all very encouraging news for the success of Mandarin Oriental, Aqua, and Mesa's next (even bigger / better?) project.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 9:08 PM

Getting close to breaking ground.....

MILLENNIUM PARK, the $475 million modernist playground that opened at the edge of Lake Michigan here two years ago, has quickly become one of the city's leading tourist attractions. What is less known, however, is that the 24.6-acre park — which features a stunning stainless steel band shell and pedestrian bridge designed by the architect Frank Gehry, along with art and gardens by a galaxy of international figures — has had a transforming effect on the surrounding neighborhood.

In the late 1990's, the area, known as the East Loop or South Michigan Avenue, was a fairly sleepy retail and office district. In the last five years, however, it has emerged as one of the city's hottest residential neighborhoods with more than a dozen projects rising within blocks of the park.

According to a study commissioned by the city in 2005, the park is responsible for about $1.4 billion in residential development and for increasing residential real estate values in the area by $100 a square foot.

"The East Loop has become an incredibly vibrant asset for the city," said Lori T. Healey, the city's planning commissioner. What has been created there is a mixed-use, round-the-clock neighborhood that includes office, residential, entertainment and open space. "It's a great symbiotic relationship."

Real estate executives agree. "You've got the park, the harbor, Navy Pier, the museums and other cultural attractions and easy access to expressways and public transportation," said James Kinney, president of Rubloff Residential Properties, a real estate brokerage firm. "It's a pretty unbeatable combination."

Others believe the success of the park is contributing to a shift in housing patterns across the city. "The epicenter of urban living in downtown Chicago has been progressively moving south for the last 5 to 10 years," said Thomas O. Weeks, president of the LR Development Company, developer of 340 on the Park, a high-rise condominium building under construction across Randolph Street from the park. "I think there will come a time when Millennium and Grant Parks will define residential living in Chicago much like Central Park does in New York," he said.

(Millennium Park is adjacent to Grant Park, a much larger park to the south that is part of a chain of parks created more than a century ago along the city's lakefront.)

The most successful project to date is probably the Heritage at Millennium Park, a 57-story condominium tower completed 18 months ago on nearby Wabash Avenue with unobstructed views of the park and lake. The building, which has 357 units, sold out well before it was finished at prices ranging from $245,000 for an 800-square-foot studio to $3.5 million for a 5,060-square-foot penthouse.

"The park was the catalyst for realizing this could be a residential neighborhood," said Richard Hanson, a principal with Mesa Development, the project's developer. "I don't think the building would have been viable without it."

In July, Mr. Hanson will break ground on a second tower, called the Legacy, on a site two blocks south of the Heritage. Just over 60 percent of the 355 units have already been sold at prices ranging from $300,000 for an 875-square-foot one-bedroom to $7.8 million for a 9,301-square-foot penthouse.

The buyers for both projects, he said, are mainly "young professionals, empty-nesters and people who are leaving 4,000-square-foot homes in the suburbs and need larger units."

Susan Grosch and her husband, Tony, who bought a two-bedroom unit at the Heritage, are in the second category. Mrs. Grosch is a retired public school teacher while her husband is a lecturer in the English department at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The couple formerly lived in a lakefront neighborhood several miles north of the Loop.

"My husband had wanted to move downtown for many years and periodically would ask me what I thought of this or that location," she said. "I was never very interested until one morning he said, 'How about Millennium Park?' And I said, 'Now, that sounds interesting.' "

The draw is the neighborhood. "We love the convenience, especially being able to walk to so many of the cultural venues, where in the past we've either had to drive or take a bus," she said.

The project that has caused the most stir architecturally is the Aqua Tower, an 80-story high-rise by the architect Jeanne Gang. It will consist of a 215-room hotel and 476 rental apartments on the lower floors and 263 condos on top. The building — which is at least 50 percent sold at prices ranging from $342,000 for an 674-square-foot studio to $2 million for a 3,100-square-foot penthouse — is to begin construction this fall and to be finished in 2009.

The building has a sensuous rippling facade created through the use of irregularly shaped concrete floor slabs. Ms. Gang, a protégée of the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas, said the inspiration was striated limestone outcroppings that are a common topographic feature of the Great Lakes region.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/re...te/04nati.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2006, 6:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

moved from the boom rundown thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I went to the sales center for the legacy 2 days ago, and I was told that demolition would begin sometime in July. They are about 62% sold.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 17, 2006 at 7:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture