HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:11 PM

Lol that they put Kim Kardashian and Kanye in the right hand corner of this rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but this looks like the store...
Yeah, that's clearly the Nordstrom women's store. The men's store just opened across the street a few days ago.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 9:34 PM

Photos from yesterday by me

An amazing crescendo is slowly forming on the midtown skyline!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Put it this way:

The first three pics in that set were the stuff of dreams at the turn of the century.

(I would've said millennium; but it sounds more dramatic...)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
I took these from Top of The Rock, yesterday, more on my Flikr page, BY NYMAN2010:

NEW YORK CITY SKYSCRAPERS, APRIL 14, 2018 by NYMAN2010, on Flickr

Getting closer to overtaking One57. I can remember when Cityspire was the tallest residential tower, but this one will nearly double it in height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:57 PM

BTW, are they building any indoor parking with these big condo towers?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
BTW, are they building any indoor parking with these big condo towers?
That's a good question, I was wondering the same myself. I think 220 CPS has underground parking, I could be wrong though

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
That's a good question, I was wondering the same myself. I think 220 CPS has underground parking, I could be wrong though
New parking spaces haven't been allowed as-of-right in Manhattan since the 1970's, but it's possible the developers could get a waiver if they can prove the parking will be for residents only.

One57, the first Billionaires Row supertall, has no parking. 432 Park has a few spaces. So short answer is maybe, and just a few spaces. I'm sure the zoning docs would reveal if there's parking.

Edit: One57 actually does have parking. I just checked the 58th street side, and there is a garage.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Getting closer to overtaking One57. I can remember when Cityspire was the tallest residential tower, but this one will nearly double it in height.
Whoa! 53W53 is in your face now. As it tapers up, the floors would go in faster. .... Is that green glass they're using?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
New parking spaces haven't been allowed as-of-right in Manhattan since the 1970's, but it's possible the developers could get a waiver if they can prove the parking will be for residents only.

One57, the first Billionaires Row supertall, has no parking. 432 Park has a few spaces. So short answer is maybe, and just a few spaces. I'm sure the zoning docs would reveal if there's parking.

Edit: One57 actually does have parking. I just checked the 58th street side, and there is a garage.
Seriously? You can't build luxury towers with underground garages without a waiver?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Seriously? You can't build luxury towers with underground garages without a waiver?
Most residentials in NY don't get parking. Most places in Manhattan don't have parking.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its a luxury to have parking within newer towers (especially in Manhattan) along with being somewhat not as common or even rare to see, and... you'll pay a ton too for a permanent parking spot designated for "X" purchaser. People buy parking spots, sometimes, it can go for well over 100k.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:35 AM
BANNED

NY doesn’t need parking because wealthy New Yorkers don’t drive. They have drivers with Escalades who stay in the vicinity and are avaible on demand.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
NY doesn’t need parking because wealthy New Yorkers don’t drive. They have drivers with Escalades who stay in the vicinity and are avaible on demand.
NY doesn't need parking because most places in the City don't have parking, and it's a transit rich city. It's always been that way. And we're better for it. I don't like those towers with the hideous parking bases. Imagine if this tower had to have it. It's awkward enough with the Nordstroms.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhpe-pvF...ed=centralpark

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhpZQfCl...by=ashmichaelk

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:54 AM

Re the parking points above, I agree that the demand for parking is minimal. I would still expect it (underground) in some of the city's most expensive buildings. Even if only to store a private car for weekend trips to the Hamptons that the chauffeur drives. Sometimes the helicopter goes on the fritz...in all seriousness, it's a little surprising to me. Some buildings do take other approaches. Like the Selldorf building with its "sky garage". https://ny.curbed.com/2010/10/28/104...rage-penthouse

Quote:
NY doesn't need parking because most places in the City don't have parking, and it's a transit rich city. It's always been that way. And we're better for it. I don't like those towers with the hideous parking bases. Imagine if this tower had to have it. It's awkward enough with the Nordstroms.
Not relevant. I'm talking about underground parking. Not above-ground parking.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Not relevant. I'm talking about underground parking. Not above-ground parking.
Maybe not relevant as it relates to the base, but still relevant otherwise. Parking is parking.

This is dated, but if you wanna get more into parking and pricing, here's an article. I don't want to bog this thread down in it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/r...king-spot.html

tectonic Photo

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:12 AM

Finally as tall as 220 CPS. Almost officially a supertall...cheers gents.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Correct. The vast majority of Manhattan luxury buildings have no parking.

Even many superluxury projects have no parking. I'm pretty sure 520 Park Ave., one of the most expensive residential buildings ever built, with a $130 million penthouse, has no parking.

NYC is just different. Rich people use cars, of course, but they're rarely driving themselves in Manhattan.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Re the parking points above, I agree that the demand for parking is minimal. I would still expect it (underground) in some of the city's most expensive buildings. Even if only to store a private car for weekend trips to the Hamptons that the chauffeur drives.
The thing is, it doesn't matter. If you're a wealthy Manhattanite, and have a car, it doesn't matter where it's parked, as long as it's secure and protected from elements.

Most garages don't allow driver access, and you would just have the car delivered to your building anyways. Even if the garage is physically in your building, you probably can't go into the garage yourself. So, in your example, the household would keep a car for the Hamptons, but in a neighborhood garage, and it would be delivered to the building entrance when needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive