HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 3:01 PM

Those Calgary proposals look amazing. I agree with Chad, that they will create multi-building peak, that slants downward as it starts heading away from the five tallest.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 5:46 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
So excited to see Calgary in 5 years from now. There are two game changing towers on the way!
Yeah man, the faces of Canada's 6 largest cities will be completely unrecognizable by 2018 - 19. So many awesome and tall proposals in every city. Would love to see Quebec City hop on this wagon too, they kind of have with CJD II but I mean in the central DT core. Hopefully the Fortress proposal in Winnipeg and the Carmen and Connaught proposals in Hamilton will all turn out nicely!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:12 PM

The city I want to see something happen in is Hamilton, I'm still mystified that none of the boom in TO has trickled down to Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:24 PM
ARTchitecture

It has a little bit, just not with skyline-changing projects yet.

I believe they currently have more mid-rises and low-rises under construction than they have in decades.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:11 AM

I personally would like to see more tall proposals coming into Montreal. That horrible height limit has to go. I would like to see some builders go with a nice 700-800 ft tower and just see what happens, try to bribe city council by funding some local municipal infrastructure project. While I'm at it, where could other Canadian cities improve? I would like to see some taller residential projects in Calgary, some taller commercial towers in Toronto, and the height limit slowly raised in Vancouver. Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Quebec City need some taller buildings in general as well. We have all come so far but I believe there's always room for improvement

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:27 AM

Edmonton should be a beast in 5 years possibly sooner. There are proposals out there that should be announced soon. Really hoping for a 200m. I will cash in my next 5 Christmas presents to get this

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:37 AM

Edmonton actually has a nice skyline. All they need is a couple of 600-700ft towers and it will dramatically impact the city. Right now, the tallest tower in Edmonton is the Epcor tower at 490ft (149m). Are there any concrete plans in the future for something tall in Edmonton? I feel like Calgary is stealing all the height in Alberta (and western Canada).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:38 AM
gettin' rich!

I think there will be a big commercial project outside of Oxford Place proposed for Toronto in the next year or two.

Plus we have 2 near 200 meter commercial towers underway right now, not bad. Plus tonnes of mid size stuff.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
. Would love to see Quebec City hop on this wagon too, they kind of have with CJD II but I mean in the central DT core.
I only know ONE highrise of about 15 storeys being built in the central core of Québec city in the next years.

He will be built next to the Hilton on this podium : https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ll...01533&t=k&z=20

The podium is a good 5-6 storeys so far, then the new highrise will looks like of a 20fl. and more !

See page 43 / 70 of the PPU : https://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/envir...e/docs/ppu.pdf

Now, OUTSIDE of the Centrale core, there is two highrises that may go up in the next years aswell, here's the first one :

In Ste-foy on Laurier Boulevard :

The next one is a mixed-use of condos & hotel and will be built in Downtown Lévis.
He will be the Lévis tallest of all times :

Otherwise, Québec city is more a city of Midrises, between 5 and 10 storeys I would say. I do like Midrises, they're doing such a nice job in densification with more discretion than highrises !

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Edmonton actually has a nice skyline. All they need is a couple of 600-700ft towers and it will dramatically impact the city. Right now, the tallest tower in Edmonton is the Epcor tower at 490ft (149m). Are there any concrete plans in the future for something tall in Edmonton? I feel like Calgary is stealing all the height in Alberta (and western Canada).

EPCOR... not tallest. spheres don't count. I still count Manulife as tallest.

Manulife 2 AKA 102st Center new tallest looks like a go. 160 meters. still looking for 200 meters tho.

Calgary's on fire. Good for them. Beautiful proposals for sure. Im confident Edmonton will see its fair share of height with the last runway being shut down next year.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 4:55 PM
TonyMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
i tired again LOL another future!!!

Can anyone tell me if this is the most recent (and/or complete) render of future Montreal?

Ps; Great job on this, G.S MTL!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 5:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow, once all of this stuff UC in Montreal gets above ground, it won't be long until the skyline is transformed. This is the probably the greatest residential densification in downtown Montreal's history, underway right now.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 6:52 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96619949@N08/9310348036/
So i decided to contribute a bit to the page by showing what this region, around the cité des média, would look like prior to 2017, 375 years beeeeeyotch! To make it a bit different though, i tried to replace the Champlain bridge by the viaduc de milau. From what i have hear over the past year, most likely the model bridge for the new pont Champlain. I sincerely hope that before 2020, Montreal, who needs a good mayor, gets a mayor brave enough to fight to get a practical and marvelous looking bridge before the old one falls to pieces, because we all know that by 2022, that bitch gonna fall down in the river! Again, i must always stress on it, sorry for my shitty ass photo skills!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchcanadian3 View Post
From what i have hear over the past year, most likely the model bridge for the new pont Champlain.
I have no idea what you have heard but there hasn't even been a decision on who will be submitting bridge designs for Champlain (international contest, ...?)

So we are nowhere close to any "most likely" model at this time.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 9:47 PM

I dont know if you remember, but, i think it was during the last year, there was a bridge near Vancouver that had been badly designed for winter and ice started to fall on the cars breaking their windshield. During the same time these events occured, local quebec news, started to debate over the news Champlain bridge, and the millau bridge popped out some newscasters voice like on Rad-Can and TVA. Maybe i heard it all wrong, but this is what i meant by "from what I heard", not saying I have any outside sources.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
I have no idea what you have heard but there hasn't even been a decision on who will be submitting bridge designs for Champlain (international contest, ...?)

So we are nowhere close to any "most likely" model at this time.
I know it's being talked about in Montreal, but I'd be a bit surprised if the government would agree to hold an international design competition (national, maybe?). Is there any precedent for doing so for a federally funded project?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:42 AM

[QUOTE=kwoldtimer;6201551]I'd be a bit surprised if the government would agree to hold an international design competition (national, maybe?).

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/rive-...ure-champlain/
I know it is in french, but it does thejob. There are many other articles on Radiocanada.ca . But be careful, since this is Rad-Can, it is usually completely biased information towards anti-federalism. A lot of Rad-can hosts *Guy A Lepage/ Gérald Fillion* are extremely biased towards the PQ party and usually make everything of Federal government involment seem completely evil, even though they are the ones paying them. So once you're done reading on the biased Champlain bridge, get the fuck out of the site, urgently!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:43 AM

Mensch, I wish Traynor would redo his time-lapse gif of Toronto from a couple of years ago, adding all the proposals that have been announced since then. That would be mind-blowing.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:50 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This is the probably the greatest residential densification in downtown Montreal's history, underway right now.
And if it isn't, it is at worst tied with the commie block boom of the 70's.

many thanks to roger on mtlurb for these pictures! The coloured buildings are the ones all currently u/c around the bell centre. Only one of them is office.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:00 AM

[QUOTE=frenchcanadian3;6201758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'd be a bit surprised if the government would agree to hold an international design competition (national, maybe?).

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/rive-...ure-champlain/
I know it is in french, but it does thejob. There are many other articles on Radiocanada.ca . But be careful, since this is Rad-Can, it is usually completely biased information towards anti-federalism. A lot of Rad-can hosts *Guy A Lepage/ Gérald Fillion* are extremely biased towards the PQ party and usually make everything of Federal government involment seem completely evil, even though they are the ones paying them. So once you're done reading on the biased Champlain bridge, get the fuck out of the site, urgently!
Yes, I see that Montreal is asking for a design competition, I'm just sceptical about the government agreeing to the idea, unless perhaps if they calculate that it will win them some seats in the Montreal area in 2015. I could be wrong but I don't think any federally funded project has been the result of an international design competition. In any event, they are certainly under pressure to ensure that it's more than just a functional crossing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada