HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The RFQ for design firms for Functional Design closes tomorrow. Detailed design should be in spring 2011.
From what I here, a new major big box commerical development could be coming within the next five years to the 50+ acres in the Southwest corner of PTH 101 and PTH 59. The developper is talking to the RM, the Province and the Feds about financing the interchange need for access to the site. This could be the RM's largest employment source.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:38 PM

Double Post

Last edited by Mininari; Jul 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 7:07 PM

Well, looks like 59/101 is delayed -- no mention of funding from the feds or a developer, but anything is possible with a potential big-box retail development on tap.

Hello (me):

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiries.

The current traffic configuration of the PTH 59 and PTH 101 intersection is to keep traffic outside of the work area required to construct the grade separations needed to complete the overall interchange. Our Department is planning to complete the interchange project at PTH 59 and PTH 101 as soon as possible, but due to the many funding priorities of Government, this work has been slowed due to other priority projects. As you can understand there are many more worthwhile infrastructure projects than what the current funding levels will allow.

With respect to your questions regarding PTH 75 and the rest of the Perimeter (PTH’s 100/101) , the Province is currently upgrading the PTH 101 and PTH 15 (Dugald Road) intersection to a 4 lane to 2 lane configuration from the existing 2-lane to 2-lane configuration, which is expected to be completed late this fall or early next summer. Also I am pleased to let you know that we just recently completed the asphalt resurfacing of PTH 101 between PTH 15 and PTH 6.

In response to your question about the Centreport Initiative, our Department is reviewing the other portions of PTH 100 and PTH 75 to see what improvements can be done to improve traffic flow and safety on these portions. While grade separated intersections are extremely desirable, current funding levels do not allow them to be constructed at this time.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks
(person at MIT)

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 7:20 PM

Sorry- Triple post

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 9:11 PM

Construction resumes on Lewvan/Highway 1 interchange in Regina

REGINA, July 29 /CNW Telbec/ - Work is underway once again this week at the intersection of Highway 1 and Lewvan Drive on the $34-million interchange in southwest Regina.
"The new interchange will address a long-term safety concern for motorists at this busy intersection and will support efficient traffic flow as volumes at this location increase," said Saskatchewan's Highways and Infrastructure Minister Jim Reiter. "We expect traffic volumes will continue to grow as commercial, residential and industrial development proceeds in southwest Regina."
This project is being jointly funded by the provincial and federal governments. Through the Building Canada Fund, the Government of Canada will contribute $16.05 million, with the province providing the remaining funding.
"The Government of Canada is pleased to be working with the Province of Saskatchewan on this important project that will improve the safety of commuters and contribute to economic growth," said Andrew Scheer, Member of Parliament for Regina-Qu'Appelle. "Through this project, and others like it, our government is creating new jobs and delivering results for Canadians."
The work this year will include:
- completing the relocation of utilities; - constructing the bridge; and - completing all ramp embankments. The work in 2009 included: - moving the utilities (natural gas, electrical and telephone lines); - constructing interim roadways just west of the Lewvan/Highway 1 intersection to provide temporary access onto Highway 1; - constructing overpass embankments; and - partially constructing two ramp embankments.
Completion of the ramp surfacing, bridge, paving, installation of guardrails, signage, lighting and service roads will take place in 2011. The interchange is scheduled to be open to traffic by late fall 2011.
Since construction began, traffic has been directed onto temporary access roads west of the existing intersection, with the exception of southbound traffic on Lewvan Drive wishing to turn left (east) onto Highway 1. These motorists are being routed down Gordon Road to Albert Street and can use the Albert Street interchange to access Highway 1. Heavy truck traffic is not being routed down Gordon Road but is instead required to take an alternate route.
Motorists will be required to slow to 60 km/h through the construction Orange Zone when passing highway workers and equipment.
The Government of Canada is taking important steps to support economic growth in Saskatchewan and across Canada. Canada's Economic Action Plan provides for almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years and accelerates the $33-billion Building Canada Plan, which will help address needs in communities across Canada and contribute to long-term economic growth through investments in public infrastructure, such as roads, water treatment, green energy and transit.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 2:35 PM

Ok.
Driving down the perimeter highway yesterday at 110... cruising along, passing a container truck in the left lane, when all of sudden, the car in front of me, puts on the turn signal, and slams on the brakes... slowing... slowing... slowing... and the shmuck in front of me is now stopped in the left lane, of a 100km/hr roadway, making a left turn onto some dirt road. What the hell is this? Can someone please explain why this EXTREMELY unsafe turn is allowed?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:48 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Ok.
Driving down the perimeter highway yesterday at 110... cruising along, passing a container truck in the left lane, when all of sudden, the car in front of me, puts on the turn signal, and slams on the brakes... slowing... slowing... slowing... and the shmuck in front of me is now stopped in the left lane, of a 100km/hr roadway, making a left turn onto some dirt road. What the hell is this? Can someone please explain why this EXTREMELY unsafe turn is allowed?
I'm not sure, but for one thing, that idiot should have known better that there was traffic behind them, and then pull over to the side instead of blocking traffic in an extremely dangerous way. At the same time, these dirt roads shouldn't be connecting to the perimeter for the long run.

Also, you were travelling at 110 km/h, instead of 100 km/h. Then again, just about everybody does it these days.

Just saying.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:03 PM

I see that the steel girders have been put in place on the Lewvan interchange. Does anyone know if this project is scheduled to be completed this year?

Are they planning to start construction on the #1/Pinkie Rd overpass this year?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I see that the steel girders have been put in place on the Lewvan interchange. Does anyone know if this project is scheduled to be completed this year?

Are they planning to start construction on the #1/Pinkie Rd overpass this year?
Yes, and yes as far as I know. The Lewan one is supposed to be open in the fall, and the Pinkie Road overpass should be done next year opening in the fall as well.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Last night i attended the open house for the new PTH 59N and Perimeter Hwy interchange slated for spring 2012 construction. Nothing special here it is a simple cloverleaf design keeping the existing flyover connection for the Perimeter east to 59 north connection. The interesting part is that they are reconfiguring some of the street connections (closing most to PTH 59) but the future (meaning never) plan is to include a simple diamond interchange for Birds Hill Rd and 59.

The interesting thing about this is that i asked the head of special projects for MIT how much these simple interchanges cost. He said that they have actually investigated these types of interchanges extensively and they cost about $10 to $15 million. I was actually astounded to hear that for only $10 million they could start replacing at grade intersections with the Perimeter and Hwy 75 with interchanges. Why doesn't the province have a program for this? They could do 2 or 3 per year and bring the province of Manitoba into the 1950's in terms of highway standards.

Uggggggggg.....................
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:26 PM

This is what I got back from them asking about the ridiculousness of the left-hand turners blocking the left lane of a 100km/hr roadway:

Your April 13, 2011, email inquiry regarding the use of the passing lane to make left turns at uncontrolled median openings on the Perimeter Highway was forwarded to my attention. I am pleased to respond.

Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation (MIT) is aware that, as traffic grows on PTH 100, the possibility of conflicts between turning vehicles and through traffic on PTH 100 grows as well. It is the Department's goal to eliminate the majority of the median openings on PTH 100 and redirect traffic to the remaining intersections that will, in time, become the sites of future interchanges.

Over the last several years, MIT has been working with the local municipalities encircling the Perimeter Highway to resolve land access concerns which will then allow unnecessary median openings to be closed. Recent median closures include the west Perimeter between Roblin Boulevard and Wilkes Avenue, the south Perimeter immediately east of the PTH 2 junction and the east Perimeter between PTH 1 and PTH 15. The Department is currently developing an access management plan for the south Perimeter immediately west of PR 330 to Waverley Street, and this plan will form the basis for closing up to four median openings on that stretch of highway. The results of these efforts have been very beneficial to improving the overall safety and efficiency of PTH 100 and, as more median openings are closed and the remaining intersections are upgraded, safety and efficiency on the highway will continue to improve even further.

Thank you for your interest in this issue. Your thoughts on how to improve highway safety are important to the Department. Motorist safety is very important to MIT and I assure you that the Department is always working toward improving the safety of the Perimeter Highway along with the other 19,000 km of provincial highways within our network.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Well it seems that MIT is finally understanding what a hwy is and is starting close off a lot of the donkey cart paths that have access to the Perimeter Hwy.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:01 AM

From my perspective, the main reason why Winnipeg's Expressways have Traffic lights and uncontrolled intersections is because Winnipeg is politically unfavoured because many of our MLAs and MPs are more likely not to be members of the government leading to to the common story of misappropriation of funds towards ridings where Ministers of the Crown are elected to represent.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
From my perspective, the main reason why Winnipeg's Expressways have Traffic lights and uncontrolled intersections is because Winnipeg is politically unfavoured because many of our MLAs and MPs are more likely not to be members of the government leading to to the common story of misappropriation of funds towards ridings where Ministers of the Crown are elected to represent.
You also have to have a good reason for asking the Federal Government for money for specific transportation improvements that may be more than we "deserve" based on our population; i.e. our piece of the pie. Using the CentrePort as leverage for future funding should play in our favour as they seem to be very keen on developing a transportation hub here. Transportation hubs usually need transportation improvements. This could be our ticket (over years) to get interchanges, bypasses constructed to support CentrePort, improving trade North-South via highway 75, and east-west via rail and improved Highway connections.

Look how much money BC managed to squeeze out of 'em for projects prior to the Olympics?
Too bad they might lose $400M in federal funding for a perpetually stalled expansion to Skytrain.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 8:36 PM

Revised design for Yellowhead/TCH Interchange

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The mayor was on the CTV news at noon yesterday and Dan McIntosh asked him about the interchange. He replied that it was a provincial matter and out of his hands, but that they have told him that it's to be completed this fall.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:04 AM

Does anyone know as to why there is construction activity at the corner of Pinkie Road and Highway #1? (Light installment/interchange construction?)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Does anyone know as to why there is construction activity at the corner of Pinkie Road and Highway #1? (Light installment/interchange construction?)
Interchange. Eventually truck traffic headed to and from the Global Transportation Hub will use that interchange to access the West Bypass, which if I understand correctly, will branch off from the south end of Pinkie Road and angle a bit to the west before heading straight north. But until that happens GTH traffic will use an upgraded Pinkie Road.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:31 AM

The PTH 59N - PTH 101 interchange has been pushed back to 2017 for completion. Plans look incredible though.

PDF document hosed by Bike to the Future

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Interchange. Eventually truck traffic headed to and from the Global Transportation Hub will use that interchange to access the West Bypass, which if I understand correctly, will branch off from the south end of Pinkie Road and angle a bit to the west before heading straight north. But until that happens GTH traffic will use an upgraded Pinkie Road.
Yes there will be a new interchange, and the new "West Bypass" will be crossing dewdney between the CN / CP interchange track and the old cement plant. I drive the road frequently and they have removed the tracks to the old plant and have started paving a 4-lane road between there and the access to the GTH, As well there will be a flyover at the CP main line. Can't wait for the new 4-lane bypass down to #1, although I think the reality of the interchange at #1 and pinky road won't be completed for Fall 2012 I would say more likely 2013.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan