HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 1:08 AM

Early, you say? Last three P3 ring road legs:

Henday NE - finished at the last second
Stoney SE - finished 6 weeks late
Henday NW - finished at the last second

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Early, you say? Last three P3 ring road legs:

Henday NE - finished at the last second
Stoney SE - finished 6 weeks late
Henday NW - finished at the last second
I read that as "early relative to the 2022 land transfer deadline". If I'm remembering correctly the portion through TTN is supposed to be done in 2020 according to the P3 contract (2021 for the rest).

Also I don't think it's been posted here yet, aerial images from September are up on the SWCRR site:

http://www.swcrrproject.com/media-centre/photo-gallery/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.r View Post
I read that as "early relative to the 2022 land transfer deadline". If I'm remembering correctly the portion through TTN is supposed to be done in 2020 according to the P3 contract (2021 for the rest).

Also I don't think it's been posted here yet, aerial images from September are up on the SWCRR site:

It's clear he was talking about the construction of the road--the entire thing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
It's clear he was talking about the construction of the road--the entire thing.
I agree - just trying to say that I'm reading his comments as a guarantee to be ahead of the May 2022 schedule/deadline, and not necessarily ahead of the P3 contract schedule dates.

Quote:
Under the agreement between the Tsuut’ina Nation and the former Progressive Conservative government that allowed the ring road to go ahead, the project must be completed by May 2022 or the land ceded by the Tsuut’ina will revert to the First Nation, which would also keep its $340-million payment from the province.

In question period, Mason faced demands for a guarantee from United Conservative Party MLA Wayne Drysdale that the ring road will be completed in time, given that a pending Environmental Appeals Board decision could affect construction.

“Not only will I promise . . . that it will be finished on time, I promise that we will finish it ahead of schedule,” Mason said to applause from the government benches.

Mason has previously said he hoped to have work completed by 2021.

Last edited by jeremy.r; Nov 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM. Reason: Added quote from article

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:53 AM

Oct 1, 2020 for the Glen to Fish Creek portion, Oct 1, 2021 for the balance. For anything to stretch into 2022 would mean catastrophic late fees unless some extension is granted as a result of the environmental bullshit; so I was under the assumption he's talking about the deadlines that must be met to not result in massive fees to the contractor. 10/1/21 is the finish date, and the balance until the TTN deadline is a buffer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:

Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:58 AM

When I was cruising east past the 14th Street “interchange” on Stoney Trail today, the ramps had a reduced speed and there seemed to be barriers and signs of impending construction, perhaps the interchange is going to be built out finally? Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:

The provincially constructed NW segment of Stoney was over two years late

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:39 PM

And wasn't a P3. Only SE Stoney has really shat the bed and that was only 6 weeks.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:14 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
When I was cruising east past the 14th Street “interchange” on Stoney Trail today, the ramps had a reduced speed and there seemed to be barriers and signs of impending construction, perhaps the interchange is going to be built out finally? Can anyone confirm?
To piggy back on this there is also earthwork of some sort going on east of the Metis Trail interchange at whatever the next interchange would be. Definitely look to be grading the offramps or something.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:44 PM

Giant power poles

Lakeview residents upset over giant powerpoles being installed as part of ring road.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...view-1.4429494

I don't blame them. If there was ever a time to be creative and incorporate public art into a project, this would be it. Large infrastructure is necessary, but it seems that trans alta put all their energy into making sure they got to build the things rather than recognizing their location within a city and turning them into something interesting.

I'm sure everyone recalls the icelandic power lines:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:55 PM

Actually, now that I've been googling it, there's all kinds of creative designs for power lines. Not like 2 improved poles is going to break the bank. Shame on Trans Alta.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/these-beauti...-wi-1630435303

Seriously, who doesn't like functional art? Time to incorporate the 1% plan into provincial projects, at least within close proximity to densely populated areas.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:54 PM
#YYC

If you've been googling, you'll know that none of those designs have actually been built.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:15 PM

Some things need to remain function over form. This being one of them.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:27 PM

Lakeview residents need to shut the fuck up and get back in their box. This is the problem with having too much engagement with citizens, it emboldens them to complain about every single issue. They're just power poles, they're neccesary pieces of infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Lakeview residents need to shut the fuck up and get back in their box. This is the problem with having too much engagement with citizens, it emboldens them to complain about every single issue. They're just power poles, they're neccesary pieces of infrastructure.
I second this motion!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:37 PM

There's also a petition to change the lighting on the SW Ring Road to be dark sky compliant. While that is a great idea, it's certainly much more expensive than they think for high mast lighting on a freeway.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What a charming response. Not all Lakeview residents complain about everything, and not all complaints are baseless.

I went to every open house and knew broadly what was going to be built, and even I was caught off-guard by the actual risers. While they are necessary, there are things that could have been done to minimize their impacts.

They inexplicably coloured the poles black-brown, and as a result they look like factory smokestacks. IMO, they should have been silver or coated white to minimize the visual impacts as much as possible. Colour wasn't discussed at any of the open houses, and no visualization was done, just a small line-art diagram. The company surely knows what the industry's best-practices are for colour, and I don't believe for a minute that this is it. As well, the initial picture and illustration differ from what was built in a few ways, especially the 'arms', which are lower and larger than what was shown to the community.

Also, when people say 'poles' it invokes an image of a streetlight or something similar. These are something like 6 feet wide at their base, and over 100 feet tall. They are far more impactful in real life than people perhaps realize, and the pictures don't give a good indication. The existing towers are far less impactful that the new risers.

Picture:

While Altalink directly contacted all of the homes along 37th street (where the lines are buried and thus completely 'gone' from the perspective of the homeowners) they didn't do the same for residents at 66th ave or homes that can now see the risers, where the only visible part of the project is located. I think that was a mistake.

Overall the company did a great job at engaging with the community over the buried portion of the job, and went above and beyond with letting residents know about the road closures etc. while the construction was happening. Unfortunately, I think they did a poor job of communicating around the risers, and, IMO, did a poor job of integration into the community.

If anyone is interested in the history of the power lines, why they are located through Lakeview at all, and why they are being moved, I wrote a history about them going back to the 1920s: https://calgaryringroad.wordpress.co...ne-relocation/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
IMO, they should have been silver or coated white to minimize the visual impacts as much as possible.
Any idea what was the goal behind the design? Was it someone's idea of making it "prettier" than, for example, the tall transmission towers that line Sarcee Trail? (Which I would never accuse of prettiness, but they are at least relatively "transparent".) Or was there some technical requirement leading to this design?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
What a charming response. Not all Lakeview residents complain about everything, and not all complaints are baseless.

I went to every open house and knew broadly what was going to be built, and even I was caught off-guard by the actual risers. While they are necessary, there are things that could have been done to minimize their impacts.

They inexplicably coloured the poles black-brown, and as a result they look like factory smokestacks. IMO, they should have been silver or coated white to minimize the visual impacts as much as possible. Colour wasn't discussed at any of the open houses, and no visualization was done, just a small line-art diagram. The company surely knows what the industry's best-practices are for colour, and I don't believe for a minute that this is it. As well, the initial picture and illustration differ from what was built in a few ways, especially the 'arms', which are lower and larger than what was shown to the community.

Also, when people say 'poles' it invokes an image of a streetlight or something similar. These are something like 6 feet wide at their base, and over 100 feet tall. They are far more impactful in real life than people perhaps realize, and the pictures don't give a good indication. The existing towers are far less impactful that the new risers.

Picture:

While Altalink directly contacted all of the homes along 37th street (where the lines are buried and thus completely 'gone' from the perspective of the homeowners) they didn't do the same for residents at 66th ave or homes that can now see the risers, where the only visible part of the project is located. I think that was a mistake.

Overall the company did a great job at engaging with the community over the buried portion of the job, and went above and beyond with letting residents know about the road closures etc. while the construction was happening. Unfortunately, I think they did a poor job of communicating around the risers, and, IMO, did a poor job of integration into the community.

If anyone is interested in the history of the power lines, why they are located through Lakeview at all, and why they are being moved, I wrote a history about them going back to the 1920s: https://calgaryringroad.wordpress.co...ne-relocation/
There's similar infrastructure everywhere, who cares? We live in a city and cities need things to run, and Lakeview residents receive much more attention to their unfounded concerns than they deserve. It's astonishing that this non news was one of the top items on CBC Radio 1 today.

I made a detour to see what they are complaining about. It's hard to tell because they are obscured, but they aren't even very big and seriously are not worth a second thought. I stand by my comment, these people must live pretty mundane, meaningless lives if this is what keeps them occupied.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure