HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
I think that would be great for West Memphis and since that proposal doesn't really look all that big, it wouldn't be 2 massive parks competing against each other. The proposal for the former Harrah's/Grand property sounds a bit more large scale including retail, etc.. Not to mention, the property already has multiple golf courses & 3 massive hotel towers being idled. A shot in the arm that Tunica Resorts needs as gaming square footage has already been right-sized.

Mississippi might be gearing up for a brand new water park
By: Tom Dees/ Fox 13 Memphis

story - https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-sto...park/649372507
I see now.
West Memphis Park = Community amenity

Tunica Park = Regional resort

I'm more interested in Tunica's outcome. I feel as if an amuesment park type of attraction is the missing puzzle piece. Large Hotels arleady in place to hold people who will in turn gamble and eat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 4:39 AM

Another rendering not posted here yet. Hopefully, big things coming soon.

Loews hotel, renovated 100 North Main building proposed in Memphis
BY STACY JACOBSON/ WREG

story - https://wreg.com/2018/08/29/loews-ho...ed-in-memphis/

Quote:
- 550-room Loews hotel across from City Hall. Funding via a Tourism Development Zone would help pay for the construction.
Nearby, the long-vacant 100 North Main building would be reopened as condos and offices...
-
The new hotel will change that, just in time $175 million of renovations planned for the downtown convention center...
-
There are also several other downtown development projects happening right now, including Central Station and a new hotel opening
across from Autozone Park in a couple of months.
story - https://wreg.com/2018/08/29/loews-ho...ed-in-memphis/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Nov 28, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Any opinions on Germantown's caution on apartments/mix use projects? What about the moratorium on apartment projects?
Germantown have 4 major mix use developments in process, and here's one of them in the news showing residents what's to come,
but "concerns" are a possible issue and the moratorium on apartments may change the project.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ds/1341817002/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Any opinions on Germantown's caution on apartments/mix use projects? What about the moratorium on apartment projects?
Germantown have 4 major mix use developments in process, and here's one of them in the news showing residents what's to come,
but "concerns" are a possible issue and the moratorium on apartments may change the project.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ds/1341817002/

To be honest I don't know too much about them-- I do think mixed-use in suburbs seems to be a trend picking up in most places. I have driven past Thornwood a few weeks ago and thought it looks good, I would prefer development like that as opposed to the mess that is Germantown Pkwy and endless sprawl dating back the past 20 or so years. On the moratorium, seems to be just fear that apartments will lead to crime and lower property values, to which that really depends on the area and many other factors imo. Is the large project that was supposed to have a movie theater near Saddle Creek still on? I am not a CA subscriber so couldn't read the full article and can't remember the last time I've heard anything about that one...I thought that project would be good and add a lot to the area..but again I know not all always share the same thoughts.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
To be honest I don't know too much about them-- I do think mixed-use in suburbs seems to be a trend picking up in most places. I have driven past Thornwood a few weeks ago and thought it looks good, I would prefer development like that as opposed to the mess that is Germantown Pkwy and endless sprawl dating back the past 20 or so years. On the moratorium, seems to be just fear that apartments will lead to crime and lower property values, to which that really depends on the area and many other factors imo. Is the large project that was supposed to have a movie theater near Saddle Creek still on? I am not a CA subscriber so couldn't read the full article and can't remember the last time I've heard anything about that one...I thought that project would be good and add a lot to the area..but again I know not all always share the same thoughts.
I can't find the article, but last I read they have it on halt because Germantown's election is about to start and they'll make a decision based of whose's elected. From what I read the new candidate is opposed apartment developments.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:35 AM

Seems like a lot of great things are happening in memphis. Was in town this time last year and could feel the energy. Would really enjoy a photo tour of the construction going on around town. Especially midtown and downtown. Curious about the aloft and hotel indigo projects.

Seems like a lot of hotel rooms are coming online if one Beale and lowes (please don't dissapoint us) get going along with all the boutique's popping up.

Cheers to an underrated city I miss dearly

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audious View Post
Seems like a lot of great things are happening in memphis. Was in town this time last year and could feel the energy. Would really enjoy a photo tour of the construction going on around town. Especially midtown and downtown. Curious about the aloft and hotel indigo projects.

Seems like a lot of hotel rooms are coming online if one Beale and lowes (please don't dissapoint us) get going along with all the boutique's popping up.

Cheers to an underrated city I miss dearly
From what I noticed recently, demolition of the former Benchmark Hotel's structural framing is finally underway. The new owners are building a Canopy by Hilton on the same footprint. I'm not sure how far along the Aloft and Hotel Indigo projects are at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:23 PM

I second audious's request! As a native Memphian eagerly following these developments from out of state I would like to see a photo tour of the new construction or just any new noteworthy projects.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:10 PM

Some Pictures of Downtown Activity

how do I insert pictures I took with my phone and downloaded to my computer?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JroxJrox View Post
how do I insert pictures I took with my phone and downloaded to my computer?
Try posting your photos on another website like reddit and then copy the web address of the picture to here.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:19 PM

Memphis downtown boom fueled by riverfront city’s rich history

https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/25/179...t-beale-street

Quote:
As Southern cities like Charlotte, Austin, and Nashville continue their record-setting pace of development and expansion, many have overlooked the building boom taking place in Memphis, Tennessee.

Best known for its rich music history and its pivotal role in the civil rights movement, the riverfront city has seen a real estate rebirth. More than $13 billion in revitalization projects has reshaped Memphis’s downtown over the past four years, and, according to Cushman & Wakefield/Commercial Advisors, tourism grew 13 percent between 2012 and 2017. The city’s Main Street trolley line relaunched in April.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I can't find the article, but last I read they have it on halt because Germantown's election is about to start and they'll make a decision based of whose's elected. From what I read the new candidate is opposed apartment developments.

Found the article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...led-until.html

But in the new article that was released today says this project is "done"... the developer backed out, now there's about 4 or 5 people looking at the property. Most of the developers are looking to buy part of the land for single use like a restaurant or hotel.

Only one of the developers (a group out of Dallas) are considering to develop all 32 acres. No details yet. But its sad to see it come to this because Germantown (the residents) are afraid of too many apartments. Even one of the potential runners for Germantown's Mayor position is against multifamily developments. On his campaign site he have "no more apartments" near the top
https://www.barzizzaformayor.com/

If one of the smaller groups gets hold of it for parcel development, then this is a huge loss. Many communities in and around Memphis for some reason are scared of high density projects. I hope if the Dallas group gets hold of it, that it'll be just as impressive as the last proposal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...ject-near.html
(today's article)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 12:51 AM

Restaurants may anchor commercial space at The Citizen
Tom Bailey, Daily Memphian

"The place is to be ready to occupy by spring, Buring said.
The Citizen will offer 173 apartment units. Some units will be housed the former, adjacent hotel that contractor Montgomery Martin is renovating for co-developers Belz Enterprises and Harbour Retail Partners of Atlanta. Most the other apartments will be on the upper floors of the newly constructed building at the corner."

"The existing, mostly underground parking structure is being renovated. Seventy-five of the spaces are being reserved for the retail customers, and the rest for apartment residents."
http://dailymemphian.com/section/bus...at-The-Citizen

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 12:55 AM

How much life will Broad apartments add to street? Stay tuned

"Construction should start the first half of next year on the $51 million apartment-and-retail development fronting Broad Avenue, the developer said this month."

"The project at 2542 Broad will comprise 414 apartments and 10,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space. The development will front 800 feet of Broad and 300 feet of Bingham, extending northwest from the corner of those streets."

"The development not only will mesh with all of Broad Avenue’s existing activities and themes, it will add places to live on Broad, Maclin said.
In addition, he said, the mixed-use development is projected to generate millions of dollars in revenue over the life of Binghampton’s tax increment financing district. The neighborhood can use that money to build public infrastructure like parking garages, performance spaces, bike lanes and green space."

http://dailymemphian.com/section/bus...eet-Stay-tuned

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:41 AM

You know what Memphis could do which would increase the visual appeal of much of the city?

Add beautiful medians in the city with lush greenery. Get *rid* of all those two-way yellow turn lanes in the middle of major streets. I could just imagine how much more beautiful the main streets would look with that decorative touch compared to how they look today.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:14 PM

So did "The Daily Memphian" take what used to be "Memphis Daily News" ? MDNS chnaged their site and has a new model, didnt know what was going with them

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
So did "The Daily Memphian" take what used to be "Memphis Daily News" ? MDNS chnaged their site and has a new model, didnt know what was going with them

Pretty much a new outfit it seems that's evolved into it---- they formed with writers from the Memphis Daily News and a lot of people that were at the Commercial Appeal previously. Was announced a few months back and started last week I believe.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 3:34 PM

Cordova Triangle rezoned to residential

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...own/1568078002

If things stay the same, then we will not see anything mixed-used in this area anymore. (ex like Thronwood)
The property where "Saddle Creek/Germantown Town Center" was proposed is dead, and if anything is developed it will be completely different.

CarreFour at Kirby Woods got the thumbs up to redevelop the property..

https://www.dailymemphian.com/articl...western-border

"To allay the fears of some residents, applicants emphasized no apartments are included in the plans."

The redo of CarreFour sounds good. I wonder after the moratorium for apartments ends in 2019, will Germantown seek to stop more apartment developments ?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:57 PM

[QUOTE=TheKernel91;8340065]Cordova Triangle rezoned to residential

If things stay the same, then we will not see anything mixed-used in this area anymore. (ex like Thronwood)
The property where "Saddle Creek/Germantown Town Center" was proposed is dead, and if anything is developed it will be completely different.

That's unfortunate for the Town Center, when it first came out a few years back I looked up what it was modeled after in Alpharetta GA and thought it was great--- I wish more things like this would be proposed for East Memphis, we are getting nice denser developments in Midtown now and would love to see it in East Memphis too. There would not be the backlash (as much, there always tends to be some), the zoning wouldn't be as much of an issue as there's already high-rises spread throughout, it's already a hot retail area, would add housing/offices, and as space becomes less and less I would hope for more mixed-use developments.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=DRG901;8340179]
Quote:
Cordova Triangle rezoned to residential

That's unfortunate for the Town Center, when it first came out a few years back I looked up what it was modeled after in Alpharetta GA and thought it was great--- I wish more things like this would be proposed for East Memphis, we are getting nice denser developments in Midtown now and would love to see it in East Memphis too. There would not be the backlash (as much, there always tends to be some), the zoning wouldn't be as much of an issue as there's already high-rises spread throughout, it's already a hot retail area, would add housing/offices, and as space becomes less and less I would hope for more mixed-use developments.
Midtown has plenty room. East Memphis...near Poplar areas are tight. If East Memphis wasn't developed and established then Memphis would be having those proposals thrown at them.

The thing is, existing properties would have to sell to developers (which has happened already) to bring the magnitude of those type of projects into the East. I can see a few random high rises happen, before a huge mixed used project for East Memphis.

On a side note Cordova area has "embraced" mixed use projects. Parkside at Shelby Farms, Dwell at Shelby farms, and the massive project at the old Cordova country club

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations