HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radacal View Post
Din Tai Fung coming to Vancouver? Anyone confirm? Location?
Don't have any details, but if true, I sure hope it's the parent company coming and not the terrible franchisee running things in Bellevue.

The former has a chance of succeeding in Vancouver, the latter will be run out of town quickly.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:28 PM
sparky

I don't know - the Bellevue one is pretty good, way better than the one in Nagoya, Japan.

What the large tent west of the new convention centre? It says Cactus Club on the hoarding - is it permanent or temporary?

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 4:22 PM

the tent? its going to be a cactus club, the tent is for construction going on underneath

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 7:20 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Don't have any details, but if true, I sure hope it's the parent company coming and not the terrible franchisee running things in Bellevue.

The former has a chance of succeeding in Vancouver, the latter will be run out of town quickly.
It's an imitator, just like the fake apple stores in China:

(Image courtesy of wisemonkeysblog.com)

First of all, the authentic name for the restaurant is Din Tai Fung (Whereas it is spelled "Ding" on the picture). There is no "Shanghai" nor a Chinese cauldron on the top. Finally, all Din Tai Fung restaurants are pretty large in size, unlike the small cubby hole seen here, and are located in landmark areas of town (definitely not on Pender and Richards).

If Din Tai Fung has registered its trademark worldwide before this picture was up, it might have a legitimate case to sue.

Last edited by Kwik-E-Mart; May 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 8:23 PM

^good eye on the 'ding' vs 'din'

that being said, the one in LA is in arcadia, similar to richmond in that it is the centre for chinese stores and commerce, but with more mini-malls, not really a landmark area.

It is big, though..

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
^good eye on the 'ding' vs 'din'

that being said, the one in LA is in arcadia, similar to richmond in that it is the centre for chinese stores and commerce, but with more mini-malls, not really a landmark area.

It is big, though..
You're right about landmarks. I should say they are more centrally located (the Bellevue restaurant is one example -- however the taste is totally different than in Taiwan -- perhaps it's owned by a franchisee?).

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post
You're right about landmarks. I should say they are more centrally located (the Bellevue restaurant is one example -- however the taste is totally different than in Taiwan -- perhaps it's owned by a franchisee?).
Yes, the Bellevue location is owned and operated by a franchisee. The one and only franchise location so far, IIRC.

I don't understand why somebody would choose to open an imitation restaurant, especially an imitation Asian restaurant in Vancouver of all places.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Yes, the Bellevue location is owned and operated by a franchisee. The one and only franchise location so far, IIRC.

I don't understand why somebody would choose to open an imitation restaurant, especially an imitation Asian restaurant in Vancouver of all places.
Because, it has worked for others. Sometimes they'll be 2 imitations of the same restaurant in Vancouver!

Just off the top of my head. Ying Kee, Hong Kong Ying Kee, Michigan Congee and McKim Noodle Saga come to mind. I'm not 100% sure, but afaik none of these restaurants have any ties to their real counterparts in Asia. I am sure there are many more imitation restaurants.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 2:44 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post
It's an imitator, just like the fake apple stores in China:

(Image courtesy of wisemonkeysblog.com)

First of all, the authentic name for the restaurant is Din Tai Fung (Whereas it is spelled "Ding" on the picture). There is no "Shanghai" nor a Chinese cauldron on the top. Finally, all Din Tai Fung restaurants are pretty large in size, unlike the small cubby hole seen here, and are located in landmark areas of town (definitely not on Pender and Richards).

If Din Tai Fung has registered its trademark worldwide before this picture was up, it might have a legitimate case to sue.
Ha! That's hilarious.

I've never understood trying to imitate/straight up copy other restaurants. You're not really fooling anyone. Besides foodies that love Taiwanese food or have travelled to Shanghai or Taipei to eat exclusively at DTF, who's going to care, or for that matter, even know about this place?

The same thing happened here in Shanghai a few months ago. Signs started popping up on a vacant building advertising wild-style fries and double double burgers. The pictures of the food were exact copies of In N' Out Burger. A few Shanghai bloggers from the west coast of the US were excited until it was discovered that these guys were not associated with the brand at all. The In N' Out fanboys where disappointed, and boycotted the place, while everyone else just saw it as an overpriced burger joint. Everybody loses.

Back to DTF, it's good, not great. The reason it's so popular, at least in Shanghai, is because it's moderately priced and the service is good - two things that rarely coexist in Shanghai aka. the land of the worst service ever, anywhere in the history of the world.

Last edited by giallo; May 14, 2012 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:42 PM

New Meat & Bread opened in the CBD today. Doing crazy business already.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
New Meat & Bread opened in the CBD today. Doing crazy business already.
Great place. Can you be more specific with the location?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:44 PM

1033 West Pender Street

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:05 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Oceanic Plaza, good to know they've opened. Now they just need to open their Victory Square location on Sundays.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 10:38 PM

The Korean restaurant Jang Mo Jib is moving from its space near Denman on Robson to the Blockbuster space further up.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The Korean restaurant Jang Mo Jib is moving from its space near Denman on Robson to the Blockbuster space further up.
Great news. Their existing location is awful, 2 separated CRUs glued together in an non-congruous space, and draughty in the winter. i would imagine the condo dwelllers above would also tire eventually of the korean BBQ ribs being grilled out front night after night.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:13 PM

Jang Mo currently currently looks like a hole in the wall. That will certainly improve in the new location. It's nice to see the Blockbuster space being utilized as well.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 10:15 PM

The old laundromat at 13th and Main is going to be a 49th Parallel coffee shop, cause god knows they need another coffee shop on that stretch.

The old Bert's is going to be something called Mr. Brownstone's Bar & Grill.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 2:35 AM

Memphis Blues on Robson is now open.

pic by Built Form

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:15 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Chipolte UPDATE!

that is the space to be fited out under the Chapters on Robson ......... STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Last edited by hollywoodnorth; Jun 23, 2012 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:56 AM

haha

i've never tried the place but the way you feel about them is the way someone like me feels about CB2, West elm, Anthropologie, pottery barn, H&M, etc....

--------

the new pet smart in coquitlam is open, the old barnes GM was transformed into a shopping strip place - with so far: petsmart, marks - which moved from its awkward location next to winners on united blvd, sleep country and a fatburger/rickys grill is also opening - i think there are about 3 more spaces up for lease in the place

also i think its called Lucky donuts has opened in main street at 13th - and accordign to a friend who tried it has amazing donuts - i guess its comparable to Voodoo donuts in portland - the pics i've seen of the donuts look so yummy if pricey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining