HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 10:15 PM
Detroiter4life

With poll: Detroit Walk of Fame could cement celebrity legacies

Keep your eyes on the ground: The stars might be coming out in Detroit.

• Who should be honored on Detroit’s Walk of Fame?

In the sidewalk, to be exact: Details are emerging about a Detroit Walk of Fame project that would pay Hollywood-style tribute to some of the city's best-known figures, with bronze plaques embedded in sidewalks across the city. The Walk of Fame could launch a glittery new city tradition, as hometown celebrities from entertainment, sports and industry are honored each year with curbside induction ceremonies.
http://www.freep.com/article/20110226/ENT07/102260327/With-poll-Detroit-Walk-Fame-plan-works?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:18 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:

Whole Foods Market browses in Midtown

By Nathan Skid | Crain's Detroit Business

April 3, 2011

Employers, the city and private foundations zeroing in on Detroit's Midtown neighborhood to lure new residents to the city may have a secret weapon in their arsenal: Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market Inc.

Crain's has learned that the grocery chain, known for its organic produce and above-average prices, is shopping for space in Midtown.

Sue Mosey, president of newly created Midtown Detroit Inc., a nonprofit encompassing the former University Cultural Center Association and New Center Council Inc., confirmed last week: "There has been some expressed interest by Whole Foods in looking at the possibility of a store in Midtown."

On Wednesday, Mayor Dave Bing went one better. At a private lunch meeting of young professionals and corporate supporters of talent attraction efforts in Detroit, Bing said the deal with Whole Foods was getting close.

"It's not a question of "if' but "when,' " he told an attendee in a side conversation.

I hope the cart isn't being put before the horse. This would be quite a coup for Midtown, though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
With poll: Detroit Walk of Fame could cement celebrity legacies

Keep your eyes on the ground: The stars might be coming out in Detroit.

• Who should be honored on Detroit’s Walk of Fame?

In the sidewalk, to be exact: Details are emerging about a Detroit Walk of Fame project that would pay Hollywood-style tribute to some of the city's best-known figures, with bronze plaques embedded in sidewalks across the city. The Walk of Fame could launch a glittery new city tradition, as hometown celebrities from entertainment, sports and industry are honored each year with curbside induction ceremonies.
http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
I hate reading here about some of these best-known figures. We all know they're tangential at best: they're basically married to other cities and have just been around a few times for conferences.
So the force of memory is impressive, but, at times, worrying...our city is more about us. Or that's what I think.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:43 PM
Honored Member

I remember when the rumor thread started at DetroitYes and everyone was skeptical. I'll admit that even I think the idea of Whole Foods setting up shop in Midtown is fantasy. Granted, it would be go a long way in proving that Midtown is just as viable as any suburban neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I remember when the rumor thread started at DetroitYes and everyone was skeptical. I'll admit that even I think the idea of Whole Foods setting up shop in Midtown is fantasy. Granted, it would be go a long way in proving that Midtown is just as viable as any suburban neighborhood.
Whole Foods would make a fortune selling their over-priced organic wares to Midtown hipsters. With all the development going on I don't see why they would be afraid to invest in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:17 PM

If they can put up a whole foods near Chicago's cabrini green, midtown Detroit should be a cakewalk.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:44 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I'm still skeptical, myself. But, that they are even seriously scouting a location says a lot about progress in that area. If they could land one, though, it'd sure get a lot of national heads to turn and finally show some interest instead of overlooking the entire city as a no-man's-land, which is the case, now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:47 PM
Registered Ugly

I've heard it through the grapevine that this project is a go.

Take that for what it's worth--

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I'm still skeptical, myself. But, that they are even seriously scouting a location says a lot about progress in that area. If they could land one, though, it'd sure get a lot of national heads to turn and finally show some interest instead of overlooking the entire city as a no-man's-land, which is the case, now.
I agree, someone has to break the cycle. It could really be the kick the city needs to get more retail moving in. I'm very excited about this.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:11 PM
loving that Gary skyline

taken a few days ago

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:16 PM
Registered Ugly

Not bad...

Those are residences, right?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:55 PM
loving that Gary skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Not bad...

Those are residences, right?
Yep, and they should be done before the fall semester... at least in theory.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:06 PM
Honored Member

It makes Old Main look enormous in comparison.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest