HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 12:06 AM

well we can surely use your judgement even if you cant come with updates right now

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 12:52 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
well we can surely use your judgement even if you cant come with updates right now
I appreciate that vertical, thank you very much. I'll always be sure to check in on SSP and post in the Sketch-up thread.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 1:08 AM

So,When can I expect my Marina city condo? 2015ish? actually,2017 sounds good to me,unless I go to collage in chicago.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 1:36 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
So,When can I expect my Marina city condo? 2015ish? actually,2017 sounds good to me,unless I go to collage in chicago.
Why settle for Marina City when you can have the top floor of the Chicago Sprie. Or better yet develop a complex of residential buildings next to Marina City that are twice as tall and live in your own designed penthouse. Think big, make it happen.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:00 AM

Heah, I havent heard of the Chicago Sprie,What is it? because i want to live in my favorite food Why not both?

Haha,Yes,is it possible to be an architect and a real estate developer?

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:06 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

^^^It's possible. For Superman. It would be WAY too much work. College is pretty expensive. It will leave you in debt! Really! I thought of it too but after seeing how much it costs to study architecture (36,000 a year here in WA i think) I decided to choose one thing only.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:09 AM

but then,you dont neccisarly ahve to have a degree to be an architect,but thats kinda stupid. Im not even in high school yet,so Im just not really gonna worry right now.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Heah, I havent heard of the Chicago Sprie,What is it? because i want to live in my favorite food Why not both?

Haha,Yes,is it possible to be an architect and a real estate developer?
Yes. I know a Daniel Ciaccio from familly who's an architect, owns some machinery, part of a quarry, and designs 30 story "luxury" condos in Punta del Este in association with a developer. But he gets a percentage of the building for the design fees, stone and machines. I don't know if it's a latin american exception, I know Punta del Este is, but there's a case of what you're looking for. Actually I think he didnt even finished the career or finished it in Brazil because in uruguay it lasts 8 years or so.

Anyway. For me it's better to design WHAT to build and for WHOM, at what price, sketch it and then pay an architect for the pettty details (not sure). you'll need a structural engineer anyway.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 12:55 AM
World Machine

Sprainbrook for Summer.

Alright guys, I'm kind of getting back into the sketch-up mode for a few weeks, so expect an 'introduction to summer' update on Sunday. Now until September you can expect a weekly update.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 12:56 AM

YAY! cant wait

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 1:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Sounds great. Maybe time to experiment with textures?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:49 AM

I don't know, DAC's got it pretty much figured it out how to make cities look great without textures.

hey DAC, have you ever thought of posting like a feasible tower with details, sq feet, profitability?
I know there's a SU plugin that lets you calculate sq feet automatically.

And on the same line of thought, do you think being able to illustrate ideas and projects in Sketchup can be considered a valuable tool for business?

How do you get into the developer industry? Is it not indistinguishable from finance?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know, DAC's got it pretty much figured it out how to make cities look great without textures.

hey DAC, have you ever thought of posting like a feasible tower with details, sq feet, profitability?

And on the same line of thought, do you think being able to illustrate ideas and projects in Sketchup can be considered a valuable tool for business?

How do you get into the developer industry? Is it not indistinguishable from finance?
yeah,I have that,it lets you assighn a cost to a material per square feet and stuff. its fun San felix is worth 235$

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:57 AM

I could buy San Felix

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:01 AM

why would you want to?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:11 AM

well if I bought infinite rights of S.F. for less than 300 bucks.....
you'll continue building it, and in a couple of years with inflation and all the model will be worth more than that.

speaking of that we should start charging real companies for puting their logos in our oh so popular cities.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:12 AM

after all jumeirah addiction guy and teh one who made that awesome WTC model are doing it for a profit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:13 AM

Quote:
well if I bought infinite rights of S.F. for less than 300 bucks.....
you'll continue building it, and in a couple of years with inflation and all the model will be worth more than that.

speaking of that we should start charging real companies for puting their logos in our oh so popular cities.
rofl:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:20 AM

edit

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:52 PM
World Machine

Quote:

Thank you vertical. Yes, the building textures will remain as is, as well for up in coming buildings.

Is that right vertical? I never heard of it. That sounds really cool. Is it free, or is that something you have to buy?

I actually have 3 office buildings on sketch-up that are very detailed, have the square footage calculated, the whole nine yards basically. I worked on them with my friend who is an architectural student. I’m still trying to convince him to become my chief architect, but he’s really stuck on starting his own firm. I know of programs that calculate cost through programs the architecture school has which my friend has shown me. One of the buildings is the office building I told you about: 225 11th Avenue (name may change). I can possibly show you guys the floor plan of the lobby if I get the green light. I don’t want to give much away, but I have to assume the design will change, so what I might show you will most likely not be the final design.

Vertical absolutely, I do it all the time to pitch ideas to my team. It can be indeed a very valuable tool, but the more advanced the projects get, the more advanced programs we will use. Sketch-up is excellent for putting your ideas to work and getting a perspective on how they would actually look and function.

They way I’m plugging myself into the development world is by networking with people in the industry, and people who surround the industry. I’m studying for my MBA, which is a must. You need to have a strong business sense, especially if you want to start your own firm. I also do my own research in my spare time of different development firms, the deals they make, and how they went about making those deals.

So no, it’s not as straight forward as becoming a finance major. You’ll have to do your own research, and network. Those are the two key aspects. I cannot stress enough how important networking is. You have to meet people who know their stuff and are willing to teach you a lesson or two and possibly give you some experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup