HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:13 AM
Armchair urbanist

Personally, I'd man up and get Center Ice. I don't understand freeweed's aversion to it. The benefits more than outweigh the cost for me.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Go Jets Go...less than a month now!!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 1:58 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Personally, I'd man up and get Center Ice. I don't understand freeweed's aversion to it. The benefits more than outweigh the cost for me.
Personal preference, I guess. I'm paying close to $100/month for television already, including hundreds of NHL games every year and hundreds of other shows. It seems more than a bit excessive to pay $30+/month just to watch a handful of games every month. Hell, in many American markets I can literally see the games in person for that price. Television is viewed by millions - the cost per game on CI is absolutely insane if you only follow one team on it.

It's also the principle of the thing. Some people may not mind near-fraudulent advertising, but when Bell/Shaw/etc advertise all of these out-of-market channels, especially the sports channels, I kind of expect to see the programming on them. That's why they advertise them to me, and that's why I pay for the packages. To find out that the #1 reason anyone in this country actually watches these channels is blocked... it's bait-and-switch tactics of the worst sort. You may be OK with that, I find it offensive.

I refused to pay PPV prices back when those existed for the Flames, I'd just as soon go support a local pub and watch the game there. The NHL learned its lesson on those, and it will with Centre Ice soon enough. There just aren't enough suckers out there willing to be gouged. Note: I'm not talking about people who legitimately watch 10-20-30 games a week from all sorts of markets. CI is a decent deal for those folks. Mostly because the games would NEVER be broadcast in your local area. But Jets games ARE broadcast on channels I'm already paying to receive, it's an artificial restriction designed to gouge fans. And there are millions of ex-pats in this country who'll only bother to follow one or two out-of-market teams, and currently won't pay for CI because of the cost.

The NHL will learn, it's just a matter of time. They can fight technology no more than the music and movie industries could.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 1:29 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
Go Jets Go...less than a month now!!!
So when are you going to change your avatar from the Phoenix Coyotes logo?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:46 PM

The young guns out in Penticton won 4-0 last night over the San Jose Sharks prospects last night. Nice way to start with the SO. Lets hope the our boys can replicate Oct. 9th.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 8:19 PM

Single Ticket Prices are up:
http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73392

Good luck with the random ticket draw everyone!
The Winnipeg Jets will be employing a variable pricing model for individual game tickets this season. A variable model means that certain cames are priced differently than others. We're dividd our games into three categories, 'A' games, 'B' games, and 'C' games.

'A' games are deemed to be the most popular, while 'C' games provide a bit more value. In total there are 11 'A' games, 19 'B' games, and 14 'C' games as shown on the table below.

All individual game tickets, be it through the Jets Ticket Random Draw, or Jets TicketExchange, will be priced based on the following grid:
Category pricing
'C' Games pricing
'B' games pricing
'A' Games
P1 $161.25 $180.60 $199.95
P2 $142.50 $159.60 $176.70
P3 $117.50 $131.60 $145.70
P4 $98.75 $110.60 $122.45
P5 $80.00 $89.60 $99.20
P6 $67.50 $75.60 $83.70
P7 $48.75 $54.60 $60.45

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 8:48 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Shaw has announced they are picking up TSN Jets.

$9.95/month

Quote:
Great news Jets fans – as promised, we are sharing with you first.
We’re excited to announce that Shaw will carry TSN Jets! Thanks for your patience while we hammered out the details of this deal. While it came at a significant cost, we’ve decided to offer it for $9.95/month - less than $1.00 per game, providing incredible value for our customers. Customers will also receive a free preview until December 1st, but sign up now to get ready for a season for NHL hockey! Our employees, many of whom are Jets fans as well, are pumped and we hope you are too. We look forward to an awesome NHL season as hockey returns to Winnipeg.
source: Shaw Communications Facebook group.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Shaw has announced they are picking up TSN Jets.

$9.95/month

source: Shaw Communications Facebook group.
The question now is why Winnipeg Jets fans have to shell out $9.95/month when those in Van., Calgary and Edmonton do not pay.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
GQMF

I have Shaw TV, Internet and home phone. These fuckers should give me this channel for free.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The question now is why Winnipeg Jets fans have to shell out $9.95/month when those in Van., Calgary and Edmonton do not pay.
Are you positive those cities get those channels for free, and are not part of some pre-paid package for either digital or HDTV?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 3:25 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Because in Alberta, Rogers (who owns Sportsnet) does not compete with Shaw/Telus.

In Winnipeg, Bell (who owns TSN) is in direct competition with Shaw/MTS

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 4:22 AM
BANNED

Rumour has it that MTS TV and TSN.Jets have finally hooked up, details later on ET Canada!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:02 AM
surely you agree with me

i've heard that 6 jets live in that 'residences on york' building at 160 smith.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:36 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Not really a surprise.

Its probably the only decent newer building in the city with vacancy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:03 PM
Urban Advocate

from my quick googling of the building, it appears to have gone through a reno recently, including new exterior panelling?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
from my quick googling of the building, it appears to have gone through a reno recently, including new exterior panelling?
It used to be an old hotel. At one point it was even a pretty nice Sheraton hotel.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 3:52 PM
the first stamp is free

^ i think it was originally an apartment block, then converted to a hotel, and now back to apartments...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
This makes sense. I know there is at least 1 bomber that stays there as well. Would be pretty cool place to live if you were a sports fan.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

New sign finally going for the Jets Gear store. Nothing terribly impressive. Just a rectangular sign.

They have also finally removed all of the Moose banners from the MTS Centre concourse. Just replaced with large blue banners with the new logo and some banners with a Budweiser logo indicating that they are the official beer of the Winnipeg Jets.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
New sign finally going for the Jets Gear store. Nothing terribly impressive. Just a rectangular sign.

They have also finally removed all of the Moose banners from the MTS Centre concourse. Just replaced with large blue banners with the new logo and some banners with a Budweiser logo indicating that they are the official beer of the Winnipeg Jets.
to bad half pints or fort garry could not be the official beer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan