HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 5:44 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Can't that pretty much be said about all minimalist buildings?
Only by those who don't understand it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Eh... I judge buildings individually.

But you know I always had a jones for the original design.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 9:04 PM

I've really enjoyed watching this tower go up, and the finished product looks just as good as I'd hoped it would. As others have noted, it's a fine addition to the Wacker building wall and nicely fills the gap.

Much gratitude to harryc, J_M_Tungsten, and others who have routinely posted such great photos of the construction and its surroundings. I have quite enjoyed the photography.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:00 AM
All-American City Boy

Taken today.

20140211_131037 by HomrQT, on Flickr

20140211_131431 by HomrQT, on Flickr

20140211_135204 by HomrQT, on Flickr
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Absolutely not. Any other passive-aggressive shots at modernism?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Uninspiring, flat and forgettable.
You know, I definitely agree with you... but only to an extent. I've said before that, given the history of this tower, this warrants less criticism than any other standard development. A big part of me is just glad to see something, at least somewhat decent and non-offensive looking, was built atop that concrete hulk. But at the same time, I do look at this as an opportunity twice missed. (The second being that crazy Jenga looking salvage that was floated awhile back)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Just to clue you in, this is not minimalism.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:53 PM

I agree, not minimalism... however, I'm in the camp that thinks this is more than a fine addition to Wacker... in fact, I prefer it over the Teng designed tower, although, on principle, I prefer taller, the Teng tower was a little too pomo and Pelli wannabe for my taste... you could even refer to the Waterview design as a quality version of the Amli in River North...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
^ Agreed. I just grow weary of people who loathe buildings like this but then shower praise over a building that is only barely different.

They're all mostly stripped down, glass boxes. It almost seems as if some people just decide what they love and hate based on the architecture firm who designs them, rather than anything else.

Anyhow, I think this is a wonderful addition to the Wacker streetwall because it fills in a gap, is reasonable tall, and as others have said we finally get rid of that half built garage eyesore that was sitting there for years.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:21 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Very much agree. Nice addition, and decisively superior overall to the Waterview design.

^ While I think everyone is on the same page now that this is not minimalist, for the sake of argument - even if it were - minimalism comes in all qualities, from outright masterworks to 3rd rate hack jobs that threaten to tarnish the entire image of the style...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:13 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
I think the proper term is gimmicalism.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:02 AM
1st Ward

I'm actually fairly happy with how this building has turned out. While it will always bum me out that the previous design called for a 92 story tower, its design wasn't necessarily outstanding in any way. The current design, albeit somewhat tame and monotonous, is definitely an improvement over Waterview's overly PoMo and somewhat ostentatious design.

Nice to see the Wacker wall filling in.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:42 PM

Wow that little brutalist 55 wacker building looks really out of place now. As for the design I think it's a great addition to the Chicago river canyon. Context with this design is everything and with all the variation in color and style along Wacker this blue glass box isn't all that bad. And it seems the architect was at least somewhat attentive to the cityscape I like that the cutout on the west side outlines the Lasalle Wacker building... it's nice contextual touch.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:05 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Wow that little brutalist 55 wacker building looks really out of place now. As for the design I think it's a great addition to the Chicago river canyon. Context with this design is everything and with all the variation in color and style along Wacker this blue glass box isn't all that bad. And it seems the architect was at least somewhat attentive to the cityscape I like that the cutout on the west side outlines the Lasalle Wacker building... it's nice contextual touch.
I agree. Not only does 111 make a nod to Lasalle Wacker at the setback, but also at the final height. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always considered thought out the opposite of gimmicky. The one thing I miss about the design of the Waterview was the crown. So many recent additions to the skyline lack a defining crown, and the buildings that do have a crown, like The Ritz, are poorly done, IMO. Waterview's would have been nice. 111's most interesting phase, the lobby, is about to start though, and that's going to be fun to watch.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Diversity - it works

Feb 3 2014

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:55 PM

It's not the style that makes 55 Wacker feel out of place it's the height. It looks even more squished in there with the addition of 111 it makes the height of that canyon wall more defined and the lack of height at 55 more obvious.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:05 PM

Harry, do you just drive around taking pictures of everything we talk about here? Well done!!

Last edited by Chi-Sky21; Feb 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:18 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

55 Wacker provides great contrast. It's The Renaissance Hotel at 1 W Wacker Dr. which I think looks far more out of place and is ripe for replacement given its recessed footprint due to its circular driveway right off Wacker. Not to mention a very uninspired design. Too bad that the building isn't that old and it will probably be a while until someone does put it out of its misery.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
55 Wacker provides great contrast. It's The Renaissance Hotel at 1 W Wacker Dr. which I think looks far more out of place and is ripe for replacement given its recessed footprint due to its circular driveway right off Wacker. Not to mention a very uninspired design. Too bad that the building isn't that old and it will probably be a while until someone does put it out of its misery.
+ 800 million billion trillion

55 West wacker is awesome! chicago only has one brutalist castle keep. hell, it might be the only one in the world. may it stand in all its glory forever.

but that shameful Renaissance Hotel should have been demo'd moments after it was built. truly the ugly, misplaced duckling in that dignified stretch of the wacker streetwall

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Beat me to it. My thoughts exactly. Also, the Westin just across the river is pretty ugly/small too and I'd be happy to see it replaced. That said, I'm happy to see downtown surface lots eradicated before these get tackled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive