HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:44 AM

Did anyone get the long form census?

I was disappointed not to!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:14 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Shockingly, I did!

An employee of Statistics Canada showed up at my door, and explained that the long form (for this area, North York) is being done in-person. I invited him in after checking his credentials, and he interviewed myself and my wife for about 45 minutes. We touched on politics, religion, education, sex, entertainment, you-name-it... it was quite in-depth. He said about 1 in 1000 households were selected at random for the long form census, and we had hit the jackpot.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Shockingly, I did!

An employee of Statistics Canada showed up at my door, and explained that the long form (for this area, North York) is being done in-person. I invited him in after checking his credentials, and he interviewed myself and my wife for about 45 minutes. We touched on politics, religion, education, sex, entertainment, you-name-it... it was quite in-depth. He said about 1 in 1000 households were selected at random for the long form census, and we had hit the jackpot.
I also did the long form, but online.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 5:12 AM

Well at least this was a "6" year census so they didn't ask the religion question (which could see some creative responses!)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:02 AM

My roommate happened to do mine for me as I was away, interestingly only a couple days after the municipal census folks came around. Now let's see how much higher Edmonton's population is in one than the other.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Shockingly, I did!

Interesting, I wonder why. I also did the long form census online. It's supposed to be 20% of the population. I do know they do surveys alongside the regular census as a form of verification (the major one being the undercount survey), perhaps that was your situation. Or some weirdo creep went into your home and spent 45 minutes getting to know you!

FYI, your bank account numbers and e-mail passwords aren't part of the long-form census, just in case.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:23 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I also got the long form. I did it online. I did find it weird how it took about 4-5 questions to explain that neither I, nor anyone in my household, are aboriginal.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I also got the long form. I did it online. I did find it weird how it took about 4-5 questions to explain that neither I, nor anyone in my household, are aboriginal.
What were the questions?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:30 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
What were the questions?
I don't remember exactly - I filled it out very shortly after receiving my notification.

I do recall that a couple of those questions were essentially the same, which seemed strange.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:33 PM

Quote:
I don't remember exactly - I filled it out very shortly after receiving my notification.

I do recall that a couple of those questions were essentially the same, which seemed strange.
I just checked and the questions are on-line - one to self-identify, one to determine whether "Status", and one to determine First Nation/band membership. Pretty straightforward.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:44 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
I just checked and the questions are on-line - one to self-identify, one to determine whether "Status", and one to determine First Nation/band membership. Pretty straightforward.
But if you say "no" to the first question, the other questions are just redundant, are they not? Seemed that way to me.

In any case, the long form was not difficult nor too time-consuming to complete.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:49 PM

Our household received the long-form. No one else that I know had the long form, however.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:03 PM

We received the long form as well. Some very redundant questions as mentioned above.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
But if you say "no" to the first question, the other questions are just redundant, are they not? Seemed that way to me.

In any case, the long form was not difficult nor too time-consuming to complete.
If you answered "no" to the self-identification question, you would omit responding to the other two questions.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:09 PM

Our household received the long form.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:18 PM
Montérégien

We filled the long form online. Only 25% of canadian households, randomly chosen in every province, will get the long one.
The censors close a census tract when they reach a 97% response rate. Not before.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:21 PM

Long-form questionnaire:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...stions-eng.cfm

The educational attainment question is interesting. I think they really need to rethink how they "rank" the degrees:

Quote:
c) Has this person completed a university certificate, diploma or degree?

Mark as many circles as applicable.

1: Yes, university certificate or diploma below bachelor level
2: Yes, bachelor's degree (e.g., B.A., B.A. (Hons.), B.Sc., B.Ed., LL.B.)
3: Yes, university certificate or diploma above bachelor level
4: Yes, degree in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or optometry (M.D., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.V.M., O.D.)
5: Yes, master's degree (e.g., M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed., M.B.A.)
6: Yes, earned doctorate (e.g., Ph.D.)
7: No
Strange that a law degree (LL.B./JD) is considered "just a bachelor's" when it really fits more properly with a professional school category. A post-grad diploma at Humber College is considered "higher" according to the schema.

Is that because it's still possible to get into law school in Quebec from CEGEP?

Professional schools (law, medicine, dentistry and the like) are kind of their own thing and don't really fit the Bachelor's/Master's/Doctorate hierarchy so neatly.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, so this isn't me being indignant about my highest degree!

And just to clarify, I am not a lawyer!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Long-form questionnaire:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...stions-eng.cfm

The educational attainment question is interesting. I think they really need to rethink how they "rank" the degrees:

Strange that a law degree (LL.B./JD) is considered "just a bachelor's" when it really fits more properly with a professional school category. A post-grad diploma at Humber College is considered "higher" according to the schema.

Is that because it's still possible to get into law school in Quebec from CEGEP?

Professional schools (law, medicine, dentistry and the like) are kind of their own thing and don't really fit the Bachelor's/Master's/Doctorate hierarchy so neatly.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, so this isn't me being indignant about my highest degree!

And just to clarify, I am not a lawyer!
It rankles holders of an LL.B, but at least for GofC purposes, it has always been considered just another undergrad degree. I don't know whether it has changed, but you used to be able to get into a law degree program in Ontario with two years of undergrad study.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Long form here. Happily filled out. Long live the long form census.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
It rankles holders of an LL.B, but at least for GofC purposes, it has always been considered just another undergrad degree. I don't know whether it has changed, but you used to be able to get into a law degree program in Ontario with two years of undergrad study.
But that was true of MD and DDS degrees as well. Today it is still technically possible to get into these professional schools without completing a bachelors degree, though it's rare (as is the case for common law schools).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada