HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
I was referring to online as the first source (but have always wondered whether more data was available in person). If not, I would think the central library might have some old city records.

Any chance you could post pics of the current house or the previous one. Would be great to see them. Sorry I'm not much more help.
Hi,

Here are links from the Glenbow of my previous home.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Originally the John Deere building. Built by Permanent Construction in the summer of 1928 in Edmonton, the John Deere building was a storage site for farming equipment and served the northern Alberta region. It was erected on land previously owned by the then British operated Hudson's Bay Company. Originally located on Peace Avenue, the street name was changed to 103 Ave. after the second world war. In the 1970's the building was rented out as office space, artist studios, and dance studios. It was converted into condos in 2002 and is currently known as the 7th Street Lofts.

Unfortunately the house here in Calgary has huge trees in front of it, making it impossible to take a photo of it.

s.

**edit** The links have expired according to Glenbow.org search policy.

Last edited by mr.steevo; May 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 4:37 AM
Littering and............

Cool

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:31 PM

(CLICK TO VIEW LARGER VERSION)

The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society invites you to a free presentation and discussion with heritage developer Neil Richardson of Heritage Property Corporation on the storied past and hopeful future of a row of long-neglected historic buildings in the 100 block of 7th Avenue SW.
7 - 9 pm, Thursday May 14 at the Richmond-Knob Hill Community Hall, 2433 - 26 Avenue SW (link to map below). Refreshments will be provided. RSVP to info@calgaryheritage.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heritage Property Corp. has plans to revitalize a heritage streetscape of six buildings on the south side of 7th Avenue SW, including the original Calgary Stock Exchange, the Canadian Bible Society building and others. A key part of this project is the construction behind the buildings of an automated car park straight out of the Jetsons - a project unique to Calgary that helps to solve two problems: downtown parking and heritage preservation!

Neil's team is responsible for the recent renaissance of the Lougheed Building at 1st St and 6th Ave SW. Other successful projects including the NW Travellers Building and the Lorraine Apartments in Calgary, the Canmore Hotel, Bradley’s Saddlery Building in High River, and the MacKay Place in Millarville. The Snowden Refinery Building in SE Ramsay is another recent purchase.

You won't want to miss this opportunty to hear about Neil's plans. A great opportunity to meet members of the Calgary Heritage Initiative Society and others who believe that heritage preservation is vital to Calgary's character.

Link to a map to Richmond-Knob Hill CA. It is on bus route 6.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...2&z=14&iwloc=A

Last edited by Zilla; May 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:21 PM

^Cool, and good to see CHIS involved in the buildings above.

There was a segment on Breakfast Television on CityTV this morning with Neil Richardson giving information and a small tour of the Lorraine Building on 12th Avenue. It was built in 1913, was once the residence of a former mayor of Calgary, and was almost lost to a fire in 1998. Interesting stuff.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 10:00 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

There was a segment on Breakfast Television on CityTV this morning with Neil Richardson giving information and a small tour of the Lorraine Building on 12th Avenue. It was built in 1913, was once the residence of a former mayor of Calgary, and was almost lost to a fire in 1998. Interesting stuff.
The Lorraine Building really turned from a total dump into a real gem. It was still filled with the left-behind-possessions of it's former residential tenants when we first started work there. On the fourth floor, the collapsed remains of the roof were on top of the left-behind-possessions. Basically, there was 3 feet of debris covering the entire fourth floor.

Also, the wooden columns had rotted out in the ground, enough so that by some of the columns, all of the floors above had sunk as much as 6 inches. The floors had to be levelled by jacking the columns, and putting new support columns underneath.

If you haven't been inside to see the finished product, you really should go see the inside, it is beautiful.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 4:37 PM

Richardson's plan doesn't seem to include the 2 surface lots on either side of Palamino's though. It would be nice to see those 2 lots filled in, but otherwise, his plans are very exciting! Who wouldn't want to set up shop right on the train line!

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:47 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

Here are links from the Glenbow of my previous home.

**edit** The links have expired according to Glenbow.org search policy.
Unfortunately you can only link the photos, as the normal way to link includes your sessions ID which expires shortly after you leave the site.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:59 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Just a reminder:

The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society invites you to a free presentation and discussion with heritage developer Neil Richardson of Heritage Property Corporation on the storied past and hopeful future of a row of long-neglected historic buildings in the 100 block of 7th Avenue SW.
7 - 9 pm, Thursday May 14 at the Richmond-Knob Hill Community Hall, 2433 - 26 Avenue SW (link to map below). Refreshments will be provided. RSVP to info@calgaryheritage.org

Heritage Property Corp. has plans to revitalize a heritage streetscape of six buildings on the south side of 7th Avenue SW, including the original Calgary Stock Exchange, the Canadian Bible Society building and others. A key part of this project is the construction behind the buildings of an automated car park straight out of the Jetsons - a project unique to Calgary that helps to solve two problems: downtown parking and heritage preservation!

Neil's team is responsible for the recent renaissance of the Lougheed Building at 1st St and 6th Ave SW. Other successful projects including the NW Travellers Building and the Lorraine Apartments in Calgary, the Canmore Hotel, Bradley’s Saddlery Building in High River, and the MacKay Place in Millarville. The Snowden Refinery Building in SE Ramsay is another recent purchase.

You won't want to miss this opportunty to hear about Neil's plans. A great opportunity to meet members of the Calgary Heritage Initiative Society and others who believe that heritage preservation is vital to Calgary's character.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 9:48 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Just a reminder:

Did anyone go to this? If so, how was it?

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

It was pretty cool, good turnout, we'll put something up on the website that gives more details. In a nutshell the plan is to restore from the 3 story brick building to the left, over to the 2 story sandstone one on the right, with 3 120 stall automated packing garages in behind (3 or 4 stories high), which have cars coming from/to the alley, with strengthening to allow for future office/residential development even higher in the future.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:34 AM

Sounds exciting! Will be nice to see that section of 7th Ave get some much needed and deserved TLC! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

I have a special place in my heart for the Lorraine building. Of course this might also have to do with the fact I got to re-landscape the front of it while I was a student at the U of C. I'm still proud of it even if it was my first solo landscaping effort and wasn't perfect. My favourite part is the brick sidewalk extension I had to build. Functional and still suits the property.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:30 PM
not a NIMBY

Pop star's old Calgary home spun into showcase

BY JASON MARKUSOFF, CALGARY HERALD NOVEMBER 18, 2009

The boarded up 1911 Jackson House, a heritage house located in Mount Royal, is being restored to its former glory back in the days when singer Billy Cowsill lived there, in Calgary on November 17, 2009.
Photograph by: Christina Ryan, Calgary Herald
CALGARY - When some Calgary developers bought the 98-year-old brick rooming house at 1723 9th St. S.W. as a fixer-upper, they had no idea about the prominence it had in Calgary's musical lore.

Then the neighbours, fans and tourists filled them in about the life -- and death three years ago in the home --of Billy Cowsill, the 1960s pop star who ripened into a country-rock troubadour in Calgary.

"We would be working on the house and in a day, 10 people come by and ask, 'Do you know who lived here?' " Natasha Borosh recalled. "And they would give us the whole life and death of Billy, and . . . even what kind of drugs he did."

As Borosh and her Richmond Park Developments continues its careful restoration of what had languished since 2006 in a boarded-up shambles, a council committee today will likely declare the Lower Mount Royal house a municipal historic resource.

Its heritage designation comes primarily because it remains a great example of the colonial-style, four-square house design in the early 20th century, but also because of its recent celebrated resident.

"The fact that he lived there adds to the heritage value of the site," said Darryl Cariou, a senior heritage planner with the city.

Some American fans of Cowsill had also been expressing hopes the house wouldn't be torn down for townhouses--a plan under a past owner--and wouldn't be left to decay.

"What a lovely end to a lovely house and a lovely man, and I feel Bill Cowsill would be so proud as he so loved your city and its people," Patsy Farghaly of Fall River, Mass., wrote recently on the Calgary Heritage Initiative website.

Billy Cowsill was the lead singer and guitarist for his Rhode Island family's band, The Cowsills, which scored late-'60s chart hits with The Rain, The Park and Other Things and the title track to the musical Hair. The band inspired The Partridge Family television series.

After the band's breakup, Billy Cowsill moved to Vancouver in the 1980s, where he fronted the Everly Brothersstyled group The Blue Shadows.

In the late 1990s, he settled in Calgary, where his country-rock band The Co-Dependents became fixtures of the music scene and Cowsill became a greying legend.

After spending years living on the third floor of the house that boasted 13 bedrooms and two bathrooms, he died of complications from various ailments in 2006.

Richmond Park will redevelop the house's main floor as its office, and convert the upstairs floor into a show suite for its residential projects.

Cowsill's former bandmates will provide some framed records of his to grace one of the front rooms, along with some old classic-rock LPs Borosh discovered along with other belongings left as junk in the house's garage.

The new heritage designation will allow the developer to qualify for a city heritage restoration grant worth up to $300,000.

jmarkusoff@theherald. canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...862/story.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 5:57 AM
not a NIMBY

1723 9 Street SW

my pic from January 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemoment/2202051039

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 9:01 PM

Gorgeous house!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
Gorgeous house!
It's a shame they are going to change the insides of the home..but at least it is still standing!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 1:06 AM
The City That Moves

de Waal Block Awarded the Lion Award for Best Restoration by the Calgary Heritage Authority

Quote:
The historic de Waal Block in Bridgeland is 100 years old.

The red brick building, which is located on the corner of 4th Street and Meredith Road NE has been completely restored over the last decade and was recently awarded the Lion Award for best restoration by the Calgary Heritage Authority.

Over the years, the building has housed a grocery store, a bookshop and a furniture store.

Today, owner John de Waal has his music studio in the building. There is also a high end restaurant and several apartments.

The owners have spent more than a million dollars over the past decade restoring the building while keeping some of the original touches, like the hardwood floors and ceiling.
Reference: CTV Calgary - http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Photo by me, sidewalk was being repaired at the time

I think this is a great example of a restoration. Below is a favourite quote of mine:

“Cities need old buildings so badly it is probably impossible for vigorous streets and districts to grow without them…. for really new ideas of any kind—no matter how ultimately profitable or otherwise successful some of them might prove to be—there is no leeway for such chancy trial, error and experimentation in the high-overhead economy of new construction. Old ideas can sometimes use new buildings. New ideas must use old buildings.” –Jane Jacobs

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 7:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

From user Zilla:

Civic Camp is putting on many election forums in the next few weeks. They are collecting questions to be asked and I posted the following as Project Brewery:

"Does the City have a responsibility to play a role in preserving heritage sites, and what role?"

Please go to the Civic Camp website ASAP to vote for the question to be asked. You seem to be able to cast up to 3 votes for each question, and I suggest you cast your max for this question.

I think they are closing the voting for questions in the next few days, so please vote NOW.

Go to the link below - the question should be one of the new ones - it is a searchable list of questions.

http://civiccamp.uservoice.com/forum...date-questions

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 PM

Done. Thanks for the heads up

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:24 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Two of Neil Richardson's (Heritage Property Corp) holdings are for sale

The Canmore hotel
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...319.23,,0,2.92

and the Snowdon block
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,55.84,,0,4.93

I believe the Lougheed building was recently sold or put up for sale as well

Perhaps this is a sign that the 100 block of 7th ave is about to get serious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues