HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1919 Market in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Zoning notices went up. Claims retail, parking and 22 floors of residential... doesn't mention official height or the mention of any office space. Guess we'll see shortly.
It is probably already zoned for office so they only need zoning variances for the retail and residential components.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
According to the L&I, the plan is for a twenty-five story building, with a height of 266 feet.
Damn you Brandywine... Damn you

http://nakedphilly.com/logan-square/...s-ever-closer/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 6:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
This is beyond rediculous. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I understand it is not all about tall buildings, however it have would be nice to have a structure which fits the surrounding urban fabric.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:28 PM
Faith in Philadelphia.

This sucks. This is a huge letdown. If you will, a waste of this lot even.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:11 PM

Splitting my time between Philly and Chicago, which currently houses 4 of the 6 tallest buildings in the countryy, I will let you know that height isn't everything. Obviously Logan Square won't ever have the appeal of Washington Square West or Society Hill in this regard, but height restrictions can also aid in the eradication of surface parking lots and the spread of density from the city center. Plus, it works well to keep parking garages below ground by making above ground space more valuable. Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood is a pretty good example of this. It was warehouses in the last century, all of which have been torn down and replaced by slender 400-800 foot towers above oppressive podia (the Spire was proposed for the far SE corner of Streeterville as well as a few other Supertalls proposed in the last boom). Add to that, there are still quite a few
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 4:01 AM

I agree. I would rather see this lot developed with a smaller but well designed building (and I'm not saying this building is well designed) than remain a parking lot. Could be b/c I've been in DC for 7 years and now I'm used to lower level buildings, but I think height is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
Splitting my time between Philly and Chicago, which currently houses 4 of the 6 tallest buildings in the countryy, I will let you know that height isn't everything. Obviously Logan Square won't ever have the appeal of Washington Square West or Society Hill in this regard, but height restrictions can also aid in the eradication of surface parking lots and the spread of density from the city center. Plus, it works well to keep parking garages below ground by making above ground space more valuable. Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood is a pretty good example of this. It was warehouses in the last century, all of which have been torn down and replaced by slender 400-800 foot towers above oppressive podia (the Spire was proposed for the far SE corner of Streeterville as well as a few other Supertalls proposed in the last boom). Add to that, there are still quite a few

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlg569 View Post
I agree. I would rather see this lot developed with a smaller but well designed building (and I'm not saying this building is well designed) than remain a parking lot. Could be b/c I've been in DC for 7 years and now I'm used to lower level buildings, but I think height is overrated.
The render released is not the final design... but I agree.. height is not everything, and I would just like to see this lot developed.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 7:45 AM
Faith in Philadelphia.

I do not want such a vital lot devoloped honestly, we're going to run out of the lots that "super tall" skyscrapers will go on. I'm a bit worried about our skylines future, The Comcast Tower might be our tallest for six or seven more years.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperGuru View Post
I do not want such a vital lot devoloped honestly, we're going to run out of the lots that "super tall" skyscrapers will go on. I'm a bit worried about our skylines future, The Comcast Tower might be our tallest for six or seven more years.
While it is true that Comcast will likely be our tallest for a few more years, don't get too worried, there is plenty of space for more skyscrapers in Philadelphia.

Height isn't everything.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 3:30 AM
Faith in Philadelphia.

Quote:
While it is true that Comcast will likely be our tallest for a few more years, don't get too worried, there is plenty of space for more skyscrapers in Philadelphia.

Height isn't everything.
Regardless, this is a waste of such a majorly centralized lot. It NEEDS to be at least 400...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperGuru View Post
Regardless, this is a waste of such a majorly centralized lot. It NEEDS to be at least 400...
This is not under construction yet.... just be patient

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:38 PM

I dont care how nice this building is going to look. If your not directly in front of it @ 26 stories your not going to see it. Put this next to Peco tower. This is a prime spot for a 500-600 ft tower that will not only add density but add an impact to post card pictures and what not.

There are plenty of areas that you can add Supertall projects. Now with the development of Unniversity City and now with Temple starting to add to the skyline I can see in 10 Years the skyline stretching to Temple and past Drexel as well. These 26 story buildings are perfect for doing that but not between a 625 ft tower and a 585ft tower.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:02 PM

This has a new design... looks to be about 30 floors

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:45 PM

Anddd here is the new render posted on the Philadelphia Stock Exchange building.

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.c...reet-surfaces/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:33 AM

Not complaining - it'll fit seamlessly along West Market Street, a canyon of bland buildings whose varied but consistent lack of character grows strangely more interesting with each new development - but the design resembles a somewhat fussier, less elegant version of 2116 Chestnut.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Not complaining - it'll fit seamlessly along West Market Street, a canyon of bland buildings whose varied but consistent lack of character grows strangely more interesting with each new development - but the design resembles a somewhat fussier, less elegant version of 2116 Chestnut.
I think there are a lot of very nice buildings along West Market. One Liberty and BNY Mellon just happen to be two examples of some of the finest architecture out there. The Murano, PNC Bank Building and the Peco Building are also very nice. While this design is not the best out there, it is certainly much better than the previous design.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I think there are a lot of very nice buildings along West Market. One Liberty and BNY Mellon just happen to be two examples of some of the finest architecture out there. The Murano, PNC Bank Building and the Peco Building are also very nice. While this design is not the best out there, it is certainly much better than the previous design.
Meh, it's an improvement over the previous design, but that isn't saying much. This building is painfully boring. It's certainly better that what's there right now, but I was hoping for either something much more dense or something with an interesting design (preferably both). I'm hoping this gets redesigned again and this is not the final rendering.

By the way, where is everyone getting 30 floors from. I'm counting 26 (same as the previous design).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:00 PM

Build it-----NOW!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
By the way, where is everyone getting 30 floors from. I'm counting 26 (same as the previous design).
There are 30 floors in that render. Just counted again twice. There are 5 floors at the base. 21 floors of the middle "regular" apartment portions... then four floors of what look like "penthouse" apartments. Use the far right-hand side of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive