HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45041  
Old Posted Today, 2:28 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We have visited the Laguna Beach Victor Hugo several times in the past; here's a slide to add to the collection.


"Laguna Beach California Rare 1950s Victor Hugo Inn Los Angeles - original slide"


Sharp looking Mercury at the left in ER's previous photo.Charming slice of life photo from long ago. Thanks ER.

In the 1950s it was a kid friendly restaurant in an idyllic setting.
Restaurant is still there in 2018 but now known as Las Brisas. The flower gardens are gone. The Laguna Beach Art Gallery is next door.


Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 9:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45042  
Old Posted Today, 5:11 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 361
Exclusive for NLA!

For those who can't get enough of the Hotel Virginia, here are Hotel Virginia pix from the secret files of the odinthor collection, not published on my site.










For the following two, I tamed down the too-garish colors of the primitivist-tending originals . . .






all images from the odinthor collection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45043  
Old Posted Today, 5:54 AM
sadykadie2 sadykadie2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Exclusive for NLA!

For those who can't get enough of the Hotel Virginia, here are Hotel Virginia pix from the secret files of the odinthor collection, not published on my site.










For the following two, I tamed down the too-garish colors of the primitivist-tending originals . . .






all images from the odinthor collection.
Wowsa! Book me a room
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45044  
Old Posted Today, 11:58 AM
MichaelRyerson's Avatar
MichaelRyerson MichaelRyerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well said, PM-- one of the things I've always liked about NLA is that there ARE no "like" buttons etc. And that contributors actually dig. I follow a Facebook page called SoCal Historic Architecture, probably 50% or more of the contents of which is what might be to us here "basic" LA history--pictures of city hall, say, or Crossroads of the World etc. Nothing indepth or involving research, but they get plenty of "likes." There is one rather shameless contributor who has clearly been culling NLA posts all the way back to the begining of NLA, including text, and posting it verbatim to the FB page...he gets plenty of likes, but it's all recycled--no original content. (The sort of desperate need of people for the empty "likes" on FB has been much written about, hasn't it?) Anyway...I suppose the more our finds find eyes, the better.
Has anyone confronted this guy? One of the reasons I don't come around much anymore is because a couple of years ago one of the (then) regulars got in the habit of simply poaching things directly from my Flickr account, sometimes within thirty minutes of me putting the image up and posting it over here as something he had discovered. It got old and I decided I'd mosey along. Sounds suspiciously like the same guy. I don't have a Facebook account so can't really go look at this page.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45045  
Old Posted Today, 1:15 PM
Tourmaline Tourmaline is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Exclusive for NLA!

For those who can't get enough of the Hotel Virginia, here are Hotel Virginia pix from the secret files of the odinthor collection, not published on my site.

No room at this Inn?

In 1915, it might have been worth traveling south to Del Mar, to visit the newly constructed (1910) Stratford Inn (and an area known for Torrey Pines). The "Inn" later became the Hotel Del Mar in '26, and stuck around for another five decades. https://www.laubergedelmar.com/resor...-hotel-history


Quote:
The Southern California beach resort, L'Auberge Del Mar is located on the historic site of The Stratford Inn, built in 1910, which became the Hotel Del Mar in 1926. A hot spot for Hollywood celebrities and Southern California locals alike, the Hotel Del Mar was the perfect accompaniment to Bing Crosby & Pat O'Brien's Del Mar Fairgrounds and Racetrack. Celebrities such as Lucy and Desi Arnaz, and Jimmy Durante frequented the beach resort often.

During World War II, the beachside hotel became home to soldiers and their families. After the war, the hotel never regained the popularity it once held, fell into disrepair and in 1969, was torn down. In 1985, coinciding with Del Mar's centennial, local resident Jim Watkins purchased the property and rebuilt the hotel with an intention to draw people back to Del Mar. L'Auberge Del Mar opened its doors in 1989.https://www.laubergedelmar.com/resor...-hotel-history
https://www.laubergedelmar.com/asset...y-masthead.jpg



Stratford Inn, circa 1915
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...27a825b802.jpg



Another alternative - without the beachfront? Head northeast to the Hollywood Hotel. Perhaps the good folk at the Virginia will call ahead.

1915, Hollywood Hotel
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...9d46dd8663.jpg



http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...4a5.jpghttp://

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=40475

Last edited by Tourmaline; Today at 2:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45046  
Old Posted Today, 1:28 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Has anyone confronted this guy? One of the reasons I don't come around much anymore is because a couple of years ago one of the (then) regulars got in the habit of simply poaching things directly from my Flickr account, sometimes within thirty minutes of me putting the image up and posting it over here as something he had discovered. It got old and I decided I'd mosey along. Sounds suspiciously like the same guy. I don't have a Facebook account so can't really go look at this page.

Not wanting to create a big stink on the FB page, I think I've managed to make it clear that some are on to the poster's m.o. by pointing out the original NLA source. In all fairness, the FB page is all about surface (as is all of FB), which attracts people just passing time--no one on FB really wants research or thought of any depth, just pretty pictures--which, it must be said, is one way of appreciating a subject, a legitimate one, that has its place. When I look at the FB arch pages, though, I can really appreciate the value of NLA, which seems made up of actual brilliant amateur researchers, if not officially of professional caliber. Wonderfully quirky individuals too. Artists of a sort. One can't help but be protective. Ok, back to research trenches....

PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? Has she joined the cliché status of city hall or the Hollywood sign?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45047  
Old Posted Today, 1:47 PM
MichaelRyerson's Avatar
MichaelRyerson MichaelRyerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Not wanting to create a big stink on the FB page, I think I've managed to make it clear that some are on to the poster's m.o. by pointing out the original NLA source. In all fairness, the FB page is all about surface (as is all of FB), which attracts people just passing time--no one on FB really wants research or thought of any depth, just pretty pictures--which, it must be said, is one way of appreciating a subject, a legitimate one, that has its place. When I look at the FB arch pages, though, I can really appreciate the value of NLA, which seems made up of actual brilliant amateur researchers, if not officially of professional caliber. Wonderfully quirky individuals too. Artists of a sort. One can't help but be protective. Ok, back to research trenches....

PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? Has she joined the cliché status of city hall or the Hollywood sign?
Yeah, I was surprised (mildly) that she didn't show up this year. I pruned our rose bushes on her anniversary as a commemoration (at Larry Harnisch's suggestion). I don't do it every year. Sometimes I forget.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45048  
Old Posted Today, 4:08 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
[...]
PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? [...]
Tributes to Brent Dickerson are always welcome, but never encouraged.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.