HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We have visited the Laguna Beach Victor Hugo several times in the past; here's a slide to add to the collection.

"Laguna Beach California Rare 1950s Victor Hugo Inn Los Angeles - original slide"

Sharp looking Mercury at the left in ER's previous photo.Charming slice of life photo from long ago. Thanks ER.

In the 1950s it was a kid friendly restaurant in an idyllic setting.
Restaurant is still there in 2018 but now known as Las Brisas. The flower gardens are gone. The Laguna Beach Art Gallery is next door.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 9:44 AM.

Old Posted Today, 5:11 AM

Exclusive for NLA!

For those who can't get enough of the Hotel Virginia, here are Hotel Virginia pix from the secret files of the odinthor collection, not published on my site.

For the following two, I tamed down the too-garish colors of the primitivist-tending originals . . .

all images from the odinthor collection.

Old Posted Today, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Exclusive for NLA!

For those who can't get enough of the Hotel Virginia, here are Hotel Virginia pix from the secret files of the odinthor collection, not published on my site.

For the following two, I tamed down the too-garish colors of the primitivist-tending originals . . .

all images from the odinthor collection.
Wowsa! Book me a room

Old Posted Today, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well said, PM-- one of the things I've always liked about NLA is that there ARE no "like" buttons etc. And that contributors actually dig. I follow a Facebook page called SoCal Historic Architecture, probably 50% or more of the contents of which is what might be to us here "basic" LA history--pictures of city hall, say, or Crossroads of the World etc. Nothing indepth or involving research, but they get plenty of "likes." There is one rather shameless contributor who has clearly been culling NLA posts all the way back to the begining of NLA, including text, and posting it verbatim to the FB page...he gets plenty of likes, but it's all recycled--no original content. (The sort of desperate need of people for the empty "likes" on FB has been much written about, hasn't it?) Anyway...I suppose the more our finds find eyes, the better.
Has anyone confronted this guy? One of the reasons I don't come around much anymore is because a couple of years ago one of the (then) regulars got in the habit of simply poaching things directly from my Flickr account, sometimes within thirty minutes of me putting the image up and posting it over here as something he had discovered. It got old and I decided I'd mosey along. Sounds suspiciously like the same guy. I don't have a Facebook account so can't really go look at this page.

Old Posted Today, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Exclusive for NLA!

No room at this Inn?

In 1915, it might have been worth traveling south to Del Mar, to visit the newly constructed (1910) Stratford Inn (and an area known for Torrey Pines). The "Inn" later became the Hotel Del Mar in '26, and stuck around for another five decades. https://www.laubergedelmar.com/resor...-hotel-history

Quote:
The Southern California beach resort, L'Auberge Del Mar is located on the historic site of The Stratford Inn, built in 1910, which became the Hotel Del Mar in 1926. A hot spot for Hollywood celebrities and Southern California locals alike, the Hotel Del Mar was the perfect accompaniment to Bing Crosby & Pat O'Brien's Del Mar Fairgrounds and Racetrack. Celebrities such as Lucy and Desi Arnaz, and Jimmy Durante frequented the beach resort often.

During World War II, the beachside hotel became home to soldiers and their families. After the war, the hotel never regained the popularity it once held, fell into disrepair and in 1969, was torn down. In 1985, coinciding with Del Mar's centennial, local resident Jim Watkins purchased the property and rebuilt the hotel with an intention to draw people back to Del Mar. L'Auberge Del Mar opened its doors in 1989.https://www.laubergedelmar.com/resor...-hotel-history
https://www.laubergedelmar.com/asset...y-masthead.jpg

Stratford Inn, circa 1915
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...27a825b802.jpg

Another alternative - without the beachfront? Head northeast to the Hollywood Hotel. Perhaps the good folk at the Virginia will call ahead.

1915, Hollywood Hotel
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...9d46dd8663.jpg

http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...4a5.jpghttp://

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=40475

Last edited by Tourmaline; Today at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Today, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Has anyone confronted this guy? One of the reasons I don't come around much anymore is because a couple of years ago one of the (then) regulars got in the habit of simply poaching things directly from my Flickr account, sometimes within thirty minutes of me putting the image up and posting it over here as something he had discovered. It got old and I decided I'd mosey along. Sounds suspiciously like the same guy. I don't have a Facebook account so can't really go look at this page.

Not wanting to create a big stink on the FB page, I think I've managed to make it clear that some are on to the poster's m.o. by pointing out the original NLA source. In all fairness, the FB page is all about surface (as is all of FB), which attracts people just passing time--no one on FB really wants research or thought of any depth, just pretty pictures--which, it must be said, is one way of appreciating a subject, a legitimate one, that has its place. When I look at the FB arch pages, though, I can really appreciate the value of NLA, which seems made up of actual brilliant amateur researchers, if not officially of professional caliber. Wonderfully quirky individuals too. Artists of a sort. One can't help but be protective. Ok, back to research trenches....

PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? Has she joined the cliché status of city hall or the Hollywood sign?

Old Posted Today, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Not wanting to create a big stink on the FB page, I think I've managed to make it clear that some are on to the poster's m.o. by pointing out the original NLA source. In all fairness, the FB page is all about surface (as is all of FB), which attracts people just passing time--no one on FB really wants research or thought of any depth, just pretty pictures--which, it must be said, is one way of appreciating a subject, a legitimate one, that has its place. When I look at the FB arch pages, though, I can really appreciate the value of NLA, which seems made up of actual brilliant amateur researchers, if not officially of professional caliber. Wonderfully quirky individuals too. Artists of a sort. One can't help but be protective. Ok, back to research trenches....

PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? Has she joined the cliché status of city hall or the Hollywood sign?
Yeah, I was surprised (mildly) that she didn't show up this year. I pruned our rose bushes on her anniversary as a commemoration (at Larry Harnisch's suggestion). I don't do it every year. Sometimes I forget.

Old Posted Today, 4:08 PM

Quote:
[...]
PS-- I may have missed it, but has NLA actually gotten beyond annual tributes to the BD? [...]
Tributes to Brent Dickerson are always welcome, but never encouraged.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos