HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hope that historic building on the right of this picture continues to remain there in perpetuity. We need to preserve building stock like this before it's all gone
Its a pretty small lot, I think the economics of the site will cause preservation of the old building.

With the new 130 S Wells going up next to it, it will be surrounded by highrises. If they tore the old building down, I don't know what profitable thing they could build in its place. Most of the floorplate would get eaten up by the core. In another part of downtown, maybe a lowrise luxury condo building, but that's not gonna happen with the L train clattering by and the streets permanently in shadow. A scissor stair could potentially solve the problem (this is permissible in NY) but Chicago is very reluctant to grant special permission for those. Ergo, the building stays and will just get renovated to loft residential (hopefully with good STC windows...)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
With the new 130 S Wells going up next to it, it will be surrounded by highrises. If they tore the old building down, I don't know what profitable thing they could build in its place.
See my post right above yours. They are renovating the 2nd through 8th floors into 36 units (currently mostly office). The permit was issued on 12/14/2017 for it ($1.2 million).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:31 AM
TL;DR

^ I saw that, but even if there wasn't a current building permit, I still wouldn't be concerned about a teardown. It would be a very foolish move to throw away a building that you can't feasibly replace with something more profitable.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:36 AM

Quick questions about Gr333n:
1. I believe the lower floors are parking yet they haven't poured any concrete at grade, it's still just a gravel base.
2. What is the steel pole like structure? An additional concrete pump base?

Also I apologize for the poor quality of the images, I took them through my window while it was raining.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Agree the garage is awful. Fortunately it’s only three floors so it’s an easy demo
Yeah there’s a few of those still left. A couple blocks south is a full block garage (or I guess half block because of Quincy) across from Sears. It would be cool to see something big go up there.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 9:32 AM

^^ When someone eventually builds on the lot just north of Gr333n I really hope the decide to build an elevated park over those train tracks connecting that area together. I know its a stretch, especially economically, but would also make a great connection from the halsted sidewalk to that area as well.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Quick questions about Gr333n:
1. I believe the lower floors are parking yet they haven't poured any concrete at grade, it's still just a gravel base.

Also I apologize for the poor quality of the images, I took them through my window while it was raining.
1) odd -very odd
2) yes that appears to be a pump base

Great shots from a new angle - I always wondered, can you smell he chocolate up there ?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
1) odd -very odd

Great shots from a new angle - I always wondered, can you smell he chocolate up there ?
I used to have a friend that lived at Kinzie Park, and I can confirm you get the good and the bad of chocolate smells even when you’re 300 feet in the air.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post

Nope, they just decided to put in a Corinthian column. SPQR!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
1) odd -very odd

Not odd at all. Sometimes when there's retail space, the slab on grade isn't poured until there's a retailer on board. For example, the SCB building in the gold coast (1150 n state) still doesn't have a slab on grade in one of their vacant retail spaces.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:04 PM

^ Interesting. Whats reason for that? The floor slab will still just be the same slab no matter what. Why not just get it done and over with? Does it have anything to do with extra plumbing or electric work?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:36 PM
Urbane observer

Right. No sense jackhammering a brand new slab to put in floor drains or conduit.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:40 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^ Interesting. Whats reason for that? The floor slab will still just be the same slab no matter what. Why not just get it done and over with? Does it have anything to do with extra plumbing or electric work?
I find that when all explanations fail, usually the one that has to do with "saving money" is the right one.

I'm so far only involved in multiunit residential, and know very little about NNN leases, but I'm sure someone else in this forum knows a lot more about this. But my guess it has something to do with lease agreements and cost sharing over tenant space buildout. Might as well build out the space using someone else's money than your own...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 6:10 PM

I had jury duty recently for a case involving a restaurant tenant cutting into the floor slab to put in a new sink and they may have cut a hole in the basement wall to get to the back porch area. The landlady didn't know when it was cut for sure, but she was mad that it had been cut. The landlady had to be notified of any changes to the commercial space. She didn't give the tenant their security deposit back after the restaurant moved out. Then the restaurant sued, and the landlady counter sued. Though that was the least of the problems. The restaurant had become infested with rats, sometime after the Lincoln Park hospital had been torn down, and it was near there on Clark st. So, the rats moved to the restaurant. The landlady was trying to say the restaurant caused the infestation, but as far as I could see the restaurant did all they had to do and even payed for an exterminator to come every month.
The landlady put into the lease that she and her friends could eat for free, anytime she wanted to which I thought was funny. So she ate there for years every week, and never complained about rats, until after they moved out, and the health inspector never found any problems with the restaurant.

So, yea it's alot easier to put in plumbing before you pour a slab, and less headaches for the landlord. Since the landlord wont know what kind of configuration the restaurant would want ahead of time. The tenant paid for the buildout of the space, the landlord wouldn't want to spend extra money to do it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
1)

Thanks, I'll take some more as construction progresses and on clearer days.

That makes sense to leave the retail space untouched until they have a tenant.

Also yes you can definitely smell Blommers when the windows are open and the wind blows just right. It can be quite pleasant.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 12:30 AM

I took a walk today after work and took a bunch of pictures of some projects going up. I just used my phone to take all of the pictures so my apologies the quality is not top notch. I don't fancy myself a photographer. For whatever reason the clarity never translates after I upload them to imgur. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Wolf Point East I think this one is gonna start shooting upward

110 N Wacker

I was lucky enough that they were installing the big boy sleeve right when I was walking by. A bunch of passer-by's stopped to take pictures and video. This thing is massive and the whole process took only about 5 minutes to put it in the ground.

727 W Madison Although we all (for the most part) agree about the podium glass, I'm going to do my best to reserve judgement until this one is done.

900 W Washington The cladding on this one looks good.

Hayden West Loop I really wish they would have went real brick work rather than precast panels on this one. It looks very cheap up close. Especially for a high end condo building. In fact the entire building appears to be prefab to a certain extent.

Extended Stay Hyatt Right behind McDonalds new HQ

Mille Is this one on-hold?

Twelve01West

180 N Ada

210 N Carpenter I like the brick work on this one.

Nobu Hotel The gigantic ground floor is awesome. It should make for a great presence on Randolph

167 N Green

Hoxton Hotel

811 W Fulton Finished brick work on the southern side of the building. Looks great!

Gr333n

Union West Pouring concrete on the western side of the project.

Excavation at the corner of Fulton and Sangamon I believe 1055 W Fulton

Opposite Corner One of my absolute favorite recent projects in the West Loop. Not sure of the name. The interior space looks great too.

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Jun 28, 2018 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 12:52 AM

Goddamn. You did some walking. Great updates. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Goddamn. You did some walking. Great updates. Thank you.
Thanks! The weather and the cigar made it an easy few hour stroll. Next time I'll do OBP, Vista, and the South Loop projects.

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Jun 28, 2018 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:10 AM
The City

Damn, Pittsburgh, that was great

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:40 AM

In addition to the project at Fulton and Ogden, here are 2 more West Loop projects from City Clerk

1044-1052 W. Van Buren St | 250 ft | 201 units w/ retail | 73 parking

1115-1143 W. Van Buren St | 265 ft | 210 units w/ retail | 7 parking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations