HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 10:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Nothing new but some corroboration to the above from their Facebook page:

From September 26: We had to make a few minor architectural changes to accommodate the hotel. Expecting new drawings this week then on to permit and construction.

From September 30: FiveFive Queen announces that a notice has been given to parking clients to vacate lot for start of construction

https://www.facebook.com/FiveFiveMoncton/
Reading between the lines, if they plan on adding another floor, and if the architectural changes are being made to accommodate the hotel, that must mean that the extra floor will be for the hotel.

This is good news. Going from eight floors to nine floors can make a big difference in the visibility of this building from other parts of the downtown, especially Main Street.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:55 PM

update

Unfortunately, a ninth floor will no be added to this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Reading between the lines, if they plan on adding another floor, and if the architectural changes are being made to accommodate the hotel, that must mean that the extra floor will be for the hotel.

This is good news. Going from eight floors to nine floors can make a big difference in the visibility of this building from other parts of the downtown, especially Main Street.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Construction fencing is up at Five Five Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I suppose I could have put this under the Five Five Thread.
Indeed.

Myles (or Greg), Maybe you could change the header of this thread to indicate "under construction" rather than "confirmed".

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 1, 2016 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:11 PM

I was wondering if something was up... the parking lot was completely empty this morning... I assumed it had something to do with impending construction. Nice to see!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So I see one of the mods (Myles I presume) has changed the header of the thread to read "fenced off" rather than the suggested "under construction"

Technically correct I suppose, but I must admit I've never seen that description used in a project header on SSP before.........

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 1:51 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

I'll change it as soon as I see a hole in the ground

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 2:38 PM

Saw a crew out doing what appear to be core-samples adjacent to the fence. I assume that means they're researching the specific requirements for foundation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Saw a crew out doing what appear to be core-samples adjacent to the fence. I assume that means they're researching the specific requirements for foundation.

Excavator and nb power crews on site this morning. Looked like they might be getting ready to tear down the sales office possibly. the power was disconnected yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
Excavator and nb power crews on site this morning. Looked like they might be getting ready to tear down the sales office possibly. the power was disconnected yesterday.
Maybe Myles should change the thread header to read "demolition phase".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:01 PM
Our Tide is Rising

"getting ready to tear down the sales office"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:29 PM

I just happened to drive by and the sales office is no more.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:32 PM

Changes to 55 Queen reported by T&T:

Late changes to plans for a new hotel-restaurant-condo complex in downtown Moncton have added 25 per cent more space, hiked the project’s value by one-third and added a ninth-floor outdoor rooftop terrace to the building.

“With these changes, the final cost will come in closer to $30 million,” Bill Hennessey of ELCE Developments said Wednesday.

In the past few weeks, the plans incorporated a leafy roof terrace and the building was essentially flipped around 180 degrees. Formerly, the building was to front towards the north but now it will face south, onto Queen Street which is slated for upgrades by the City of Moncton.

The new orientation will raise the profile of the structure and add 25 per cent more space by infilling part of a lay-by (drop-off area) that had been incorporated into the main entrance area.

In addition, 30 spaces will be added to the underground parking, for a total of 96 parking spots.

Source: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...on-hotel-condo

Looks more elegant now IMO.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:42 PM

That's awesome. I have no idea why they would face it North in the first place... towards a parking lot and vinyl-clad apartment building? Makes no sense. I have a good view of this build from my office at the back of City Hall, will be fun to watch!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks pierre. This confirms some of the rumours over the last couple of months concerning "last minute design modifications" (presumably for the boutique hotel), and a possible ninth floor (which apparently will be a rooftop terrace).

The new design is certainly more classical and less avant garde. Presumably this is the "safer" option, and presumably was done to accommodate the 25% increased footprint. The increase in the underground parking presumably was necessary for the hotel, but 96 spaces still seems insufficient for the project. I think there was some surface parking towards the back too, wasn't there?

According to the T&T, actual construction won't start now until next spring, with a fall 2018 opening date. I imagine site preparation will continue this fall however. I wonder if some preliminary excavation will occur this fall??

I'm like Vorkuta, I always expected the building to face Queen Street. The revelation that the original orientation of the building was 180 degrees opposite is a complete surprise!

One last thing. According to the T&T, there will be upgrades to Queen street between Botsford & Lewis to coincide with this development. This will no doubt complement the intended widening of Lewis at the Main/Assumption intersection planned for next year. This 2-3 block area behind city hall appears set for gentrification over the next few years...........

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to the T&T, actual construction won't start now until next spring, with a fall 2018 opening date. I imagine site preparation will continue this fall however. I wonder if some preliminary excavation will occur this fall??
With the plans for underground parking, I'm hoping we'll at least see a hole in the ground before snow falls.
Quote:
One last thing. According to the T&T, there will be upgrades to Queen street between Botsford & Lewis to coincide with this development. This will no doubt complement the intended widening of Lewis at the Main/Assumption intersection planned for next year. This 2-3 block area behind city hall appears set for gentrification over the next few years...........
I'm hoping they replace the power / phone cabling that runs down queen... it's going to look yucky in front of this new building. A tiny set-back might help (it looks like it has a car port, at least).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Found a new rendering on the FiveFive Queen Facebook page:

Compared to the original:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:28 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I liked the original design, but it was pretty avant-garde for downtown. Even if it is a little more conservative, the new look is a lot classier and will, in my opinion, fit a whole lot better in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:36 PM

I like the "new" one, myself. The design flows better and has more consistency. I never liked the mix of different balcony types, for example, in the original.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:46 PM

Yeah, the new one looks more cohesive and not as messy. I like it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see in the paper today that if you have one of the condo units at FiveFive, not only can you get room service from Gahan House, you can schedule laundry and maid service from the Wesley Hotel too.

Talk about a pampered downtown lifestyle........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces