HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:32 PM

Urban planner extraordinaire Kenny Grey-Grey's latest, arguing if the City Centre/Bayview area gets developed, it will become a hot bed of prostitution and drugs.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...ew-plan-fails/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Urban planner extraordinaire Kenny Grey-Grey's latest, arguing if the City Centre/Bayview area gets developed, it will become a hot bed of prostitution and drugs.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...ew-plan-fails/
That retard should look up the term gentrification. I mean who the hell would want to live near the river, downtown and mass transit line?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:49 PM

If you look around Canada and even the States in many cases area's that are developed it does create a good area and no it does not become a meca for drugs etc leaving a area empty i think would have more of a chance to become a meca for drug use etc.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I mean who the hell would want to live near the river, downtown and mass transit line?
Well, not Ken to the power Grey. You can't drive your car on the river (so that's useless), and downtown is getting too crowded with cars to drive anywhere or park in any sane amount of time, and transit is a wasteful vanity project (always and forever, kills children and lowers your property value to negative levels)....so yeah, I think most people would hate to live there.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:45 PM
Citizen-at-large

Even if one accepts 100% of Ken's arguments, he is still misinformed. He argues that there should be new community services near that area as part of the planning for it, but seems unaware of the fact that the proposed Hintonburg Hub, a facility that would encompass exactly what he says is missing, is proposed to be built immediately west of the O-Train tracks at Wellington.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:41 AM

Methinks Mr. Grey only pay attention to what's going on outside his house when there's an evil, too-tall development application being proposed. Other than ranting on and on about those, he doesn't know much else. Strange - considering how much he stalks his bus-rising nemesis Katherine Hobbs, he didn't pick up on the Hintonburg Hub she was talking about a month or two ago.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
the return of Clive Doucet, and Diane Holmes leading the charge against every construction project in the city?
I just logged on to Linkedin and Clive Doucet shows up on the side panel as somebody I may want to connect with. He is listed as City Councillor..hmm, may be time to update that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:30 PM

I was expecting a new posting on this thread to be about Gray's grumpy return to his blog today, in which, inter alia, he complains vaguely that Ottawa restaurants -- all of them, mind -- haven't figured how to cook distinctive Canadian food (good to know he and his acolytes won't be preventing me from getting a table at Murray Street whenever I want), wonders why Ottawans don't tour nice houses in town (isn't Doors Open Ottawa a huge hit when it opens homes like official residences?), and laments that a pair of nostalgic museum-towns in the Old South with metro populations of 650K and 350K are -- get this -- much smaller and prettier than Ottawa! wow, you don't say?!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:01 PM

Yeah, I read that - his mind is starting to jump over too many topics, kind of like those senile "and another thing..." guys you meet.

Yes, Charleston is super-nice. However, it hasn't been an important city in any way shape or form (socially or economically) since the Civil War. It isn't even the capital of South Carolina. Being a bleeding heart Trudeau Liberal, I wonder if Ken was on mental vacation when he neglected to mention the whole slavery era when comparing the histories of Ottawa and Charleston.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Being a bleeding heart Trudeau Liberal
Oh puhleeze, let's not drag decades-old federal politics into this.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:40 AM

Just saying that his blog posts (except the NIMBY ones) all reek of a rigid (and dusty) 1970s progressive-at-all-costs mindset. That is all.

Going by Ken's constant level of curmudgeonly outrage, I have to believe that's when he moved into the then-stagnant burough of Westboro. All those years of nothing happening in his 'hood must be why he hates Ottawa moving forward with anything.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:11 PM

A new low for the Bulldog. He's like the Walmart of citizen complaints.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...-our-tourists/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
A new low for the Bulldog. He's like the Walmart of citizen complaints.

WalMart has products... when his blog is just airing moth-eaten ideas from his inbox, I think of it more like a flea market: it's just an empty vessel for his "customers" to hawk their cheesy wares.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:29 PM

Old People FTW!

"I can't tell you the last time I went to Rideau Street, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I don't like what I'd find there!" (paraphrase)

(BTW "old people" has nothing to do with chronological age, I'm sure we all know some people who might as well have turned 80 by the time they were 25, the way their opinions set in stone)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

"I can't tell you the last time I went to Rideau Street, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I don't like what I'd find there!" (paraphrase)

(BTW "old people" has nothing to do with chronological age, I'm sure we all know some people who might as well have turned 80 by the time they were 25, the way their opinions set in stone)
I hope she stays in Kanata, because I don't want to "look" at bigoted people that like to eat at Denny's.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I hope she stays in Kanata, because I don't want to "look" at bigoted people that like to eat at Denny's.
when I got to the part about the Denny's I was wondering if the letter might be a hoax, it was just too precious... but I guess the thing with stereotypes is that some people do fit them to a -T.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:59 PM

"I can’t even tell you how many years it has been since I’ve walked out my front door. I’ve no desire to be robbed, cannibalized, or gored by a unicorn."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
WalMart has products... when his blog is just airing moth-eaten ideas from his inbox, I think of it more like a flea market: it's just an empty vessel for his "customers" to hawk their cheesy wares.
Fair point - flea market is a much better description!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:20 PM

Another new low, indeed.
"I've never been to this place, but I'm sure I could tell you what happens on a day to day basis there."

Thank God there isn't violence or homelessness in American cities, because ever since paranoia set in up here, it's been rampant...in people's minds.

When I went through Charleston in the mid 90s, right before you cross the bridge onto the island (Mount Pleasant?) there was crack dealers in black Monte Carlo's galore. It was like Training Day.

Kenny Greeeeyyyyy seems to be describing a Potempkin Village. Towns can't exist on tourist sites alone. I;m guessing he neglected to travel a few blocks away from those areas to see how the rest of the city lives. Kind of like any American city with 'Beach' in its name. For every block you go inland, you get 10-20% seedier.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:41 PM

Perhaps in his curmudgeonly pique he accidentally wrote Charleston when he was actually thinking about Celebration, FL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues