HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:06 AM

Good to hear that the coroner's facility is finally moving forward. Isn't that building also supposed to house the forensic's lab. Thought I remembered reading that before.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:13 PM

City Park's main golf course, closed since Katrina, will be completely redone and finally going out to bid in June/July. The smaller North Course, which reopened a year or two ago, just won an award for best experience out of over a hundred other similar sized courses.

As far as the proposed new Canal Streetcar Terminal, I say, not only should it be built, but put it 2 blocks down Canal Blvd to connect it with the Lafitte Corridor.

1. It would become a streetcar, bus, and bicycle hub.

2. It would bring streetcar service to the businesses at the end of Canal Blvd as well as bringing it to the residents living in Navarre.

3. It would be more convenient for Delgado students or nearby residents with bicycles to safely ride them down the greenway to the terminal to reach a streetcar or bus, eliminating the need for ever riding their bicycle into the public street to reach the terminal.

4. Vehicles turning onto City Park Avenue would not be further distracted with an adjacent terminal as it would be two blocks behind them.

5. Turning busses would have two extra blocks to enter the correct lane for turning onto City Park Avenue, reducing the traffic caused by their last-minute shifting.

6. The bus, streetcar, and Lafitte Corridor would all mutually benefit, for a relatively tiny modification.

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:10 PM

Regional Grocery Store Development

“Treme” star Wendell Pierce's plans for a grocery store in Marrero, La., was covered in The NYTimes 'In New Orleans, an Actor Turns Grocer' yesterday.

And GNO Real Estate News reported that Sav-A-Lot just opened two new stores. One in New Orleans East at 9999 Lake Forest Blvd. and one in Gentilly at 4726 Paris Ave.

We also have the new Fresh Market going into the former Borders location on St. Charles.

It's great to see so many stores opening up, it's really indicative of the progress the city has made since the storm.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:23 PM

Wal-Mart on Chef?

Anyone know the status of the Wal-Mart proposed for the old Gentilly Woods Mall site on Chef Menteur?

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:16 PM

Great post Blitzen.

Also so excited about the new grocery stores.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 10:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
City Park's main golf course, closed since Katrina, will be completely redone and finally going out to bid in June/July. The smaller North Course, which reopened a year or two ago, just won an award for best experience out of over a hundred other similar sized courses.

As far as the proposed new Canal Streetcar Terminal, I say, not only should it be built, but put it 2 blocks down Canal Blvd to connect it with the Lafitte Corridor.

1. It would become a streetcar, bus, and bicycle hub.

2. It would bring streetcar service to the businesses at the end of Canal Blvd as well as bringing it to the residents living in Navarre.

3. It would be more convenient for Delgado students or nearby residents with bicycles to safely ride them down the greenway to the terminal to reach a streetcar or bus, eliminating the need for ever riding their bicycle into the public street to reach the terminal.

4. Vehicles turning onto City Park Avenue would not be further distracted with an adjacent terminal as it would be two blocks behind them.

5. Turning busses would have two extra blocks to enter the correct lane for turning onto City Park Avenue, reducing the traffic caused by their last-minute shifting.

6. The bus, streetcar, and Lafitte Corridor would all mutually benefit, for a relatively tiny modification.
Absolutely agree with everything said here. The only thing I would add is to design the terminal with a possible future streetcar extension further up Canal to Harrison and maybe eventually Robert E lee to West End! Also, if they could build a bike path down Canal all the way to Lakefront that would be great!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 10:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
Great post Blitzen.

Also so excited about the new grocery stores.
Also dont forget about the new Sav a Lot on Earhart and Carrolton, the new costco, and the new Winn Dixie. St Roch Market will also be a new grocery type facility.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:29 AM
TL;DR

St. Roch Market is still sorta up in the air. The city is gonna do the renovation presently, but finding an operator to come in and sell fresh produce there might be challenging. Crescent City Farmers Market is only set up to run weekly popup markets, not full-time ones in a dedicated building.

I suppose if the rent for a stall is low enough, they can attract the same people who sell fruits and veggies from the back of a truck. Somehow I doubt the city will go for this, though.

Plus, St. Roch will struggle to attract people because it has no dedicated parking. Maybe if the streetcar ever opens, we can change that... but in the meantime it will be challenging.

I know this is a city of food, but the number of restaurants, food retailers, and drugstores opening up is getting pretty absurd. There are still huge swaths of the city without grocery stores, while the wealthier parts of the city have far more than they need. Meanwhile, other types of retailers still cannot be found in the city. There's no Target, Best Buy, sporting goods store, craft store, furniture/housewares store, etc. At least with Mid-City Market, we'll get a pet store (Jefferson Feed).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:56 PM

Hurricane Evacuation Pickup Points

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index...._mark_new.html

I'm not a huge fan. I see their logic, but I just don't love the outcome. I would much rather see this problem fixed by better public information during an emergency, and the money used instead to improve bus stops and more public art in the neutral grounds.

Photo courtesy of The Times-Picayune

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I know this is a city of food, but the number of restaurants, food retailers, and drugstores opening up is getting pretty absurd. There are still huge swaths of the city without grocery stores, while the wealthier parts of the city have far more than they need. Meanwhile, other types of retailers still cannot be found in the city. There's no Target, Best Buy, sporting goods store, craft store, furniture/housewares store, etc. At least with Mid-City Market, we'll get a pet store (Jefferson Feed).
Im not sure its absurd at all and the reason for the lack of those chain stores is simple. They arent local businesses and their footprints require land assemblage that is difficult in this city. I encourage people on here to think beyond the " either or attitude" that so often has plagued this city and realize we can and will have both a unique culture but also modern chains from other places. Neither should come at the detriment of the other but instead help.

Also in food news( sorry ardecila):

New Brunch Spot for Faubourg MarignyPosted on March 8, 2012
The Gambit reports that the owners of the Ruby Slipper Café have bought the historic former bank branch at 2001 Burgundy Street in the Marigny triangle area, and they plan to open the third rendition of their breakfast-lunch-and-brunch concept there by the summer.

The first two Ruby Slipper locations were opened in Mid-City and on Magazine St. in the CBD.

Heres the building in question!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:31 PM
TL;DR

Check out new photos of the Keller Library on Facebook. The interiors are super-modern and frankly awesome.

The library will open with a coffee shop called the Green Dot Cafe (very tongue-in-cheek). Glad to see that Broad/Washington district get a new business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Im not sure its absurd at all and the reason for the lack of those chain stores is simple. They arent local businesses and their footprints require land assemblage that is difficult in this city. I encourage people on here to think beyond the " either or attitude" that so often has plagued this city and realize we can and will have both a unique culture but also modern chains from other places. Neither should come at the detriment of the other but instead help.
I'm fine with food establishments if there really is enough business to go around. I'm frustrated that chain stores to sell other kinds of products cannot or will not move in, but more frustrated that there are no local alternatives. For example - we live in an electronic age, but there is no electronics store anywhere in Orleans Parish that I can think of. There's no serious movie theater. We lost our one and only chain bookstore. etc....

On the other hand, there are places like Ruby Slipper that are fine with three (!!!) locations in the city and not a single one in Metairie or the North Shore.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Im not sure its absurd at all and the reason for the lack of those chain stores is simple. They arent local businesses and their footprints require land assemblage that is difficult in this city.
I wonder how much of this is a result of them not being local vs the amount of available land. I say this because of the attitude that many "locals" seem to have toward anything non-local or anything chain. That, plus the fact that you can find many of this places thriving in other cities within the same restrictions, or less, as they would have in New Orleans. It's funny because the same anti-chain people will go to another city and shop big box to big box and eat chain to chain and enjoy it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 9:47 PM

Here's an article about growing interest in Treme. Can someone with a subscription give the gist of it? I tried to go buy the issue but the most recent one was already out so I couldn't read it.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-neighborhood/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 1:44 AM

The gist of the article mainly discusses the potential for investment in the neighborhood with the impending redevelopment of the Iberville projects and the extension of the streetcar down Rampart. I have to agree with the assessment given the amount of the investment planned in these projects.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:45 AM
-

Interesting new concept on Lafayette Street.

http://www.cellardoornola.com/2011/1...arter-campaig/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:51 PM

Lafayette St. and Xavier

Quote:
Interesting new concept on Lafayette Street.

http://www.cellardoornola.com/2011/1...arter-campaig/
I think that's an old concept. It looks like the building is for sale now.

Did you see this Xavier University construction update via the Times-Pic and GNO Real Estate News? They are in the midst of an $80 million building boom. Some of it can you can see from 1-10 and others you can see from Carrolton, but it's all pretty amazing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:21 PM

Being this is a "development" forum I thought I'd bring up that this week is New Orleans Entrepreneur Week put together by the Idea Village and also some other incubators like the BioInnovation Center. Yall should check out the Calender of events, including networking events on Wednesday (at the Wednesday at the Square) and friday where they are going to let any participant choose which company they would invest in. This way yall can check out all the new, cool companies being developed here in NOLA. Check it out guys!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Being this is a "development" forum I thought I'd bring up that this week is New Orleans Entrepreneur Week put together by the Idea Village and also some other incubators like the BioInnovation Center. Yall should check out the Calender of events, including networking events on Wednesday (at the Wednesday at the Square) and friday where they are going to let any participant choose which company they would invest in. This way yall can check out all the new, cool companies being developed here in NOLA. Check it out guys!
Thanks for the reminder!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLADevelopmentFan View Post
I think that's an old concept. It looks like the building is for sale now.
Guess the concept didnt work out. Explains the lack of activity. Just thought it was strange they still have ads out in bars/ I saw it at dba on Saturday.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Guess the concept didnt work out. Explains the lack of activity. Just thought it was strange they still have ads out in bars/ I saw it at dba on Saturday.
Their Kickstarter account says the funding was unsuccessful. The last post on their website was only a month ago though, it would be great to get that building back into commerce.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations