HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:02 PM
Sanity merchant

Shoppers at 1155 Commissioners Rd E

Not a big deal, but they are expanding. From what I've heard, it's going to be adding more groceries there, and possibly other stuff as the Zellers has closed shop. I swung past there today, and didn't manage to grab a picture, but construction has begun and a new outline and support posts have been put in place.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:14 PM

I wondered what was going on there. Does anyone know if Shoppers is moving next door to their Wharncliffe and Base Line location? Something's being built where the XS Cargo used to be and it looks to me like the outline of a Shoppers building, but no confirmation yet. There appears to be another building going up on the west side of that parking lot too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 8:39 PM
Sanity merchant

Wouldn't surprise me personally, they have been on a go bigger streak lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by can00k View Post
I wondered what was going on there. Does anyone know if Shoppers is moving next door to their Wharncliffe and Base Line location? Something's being built where the XS Cargo used to be and it looks to me like the outline of a Shoppers building, but no confirmation yet. There appears to be another building going up on the west side of that parking lot too.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:02 PM
User Registered

I would assume the Shoppers expansions have to do with Loblaw acquiring the company. More grocery area = more places to stock President's choice items and whatnot.

I forget what's going up at Base Line and Warncliffe but that Shoppers is not affected.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:30 PM
Sanity merchant

This expansion has been in the works for no less than 3 years. The gf used to live there, and was told by her condo board that shoppers wanted to buy up some of their land before that time, this was before Loblaws acquisitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I would assume the Shoppers expansions have to do with Loblaw acquiring the company. More grocery area = more places to stock President's choice items and whatnot.

I forget what's going up at Base Line and Warncliffe but that Shoppers is not affected.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 3:07 AM

The Byron location likely has no room to expand, which is unfortunate as Metro could really use some competition locally.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:04 PM
Sanity merchant

From today

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another Shoppers Dog Fart expansion.

Their prices are wretched. Except the markdowns, which unfortunately are always on their shitty Life Brand.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sanity merchant

I like their life brands. They are a lot damn cheaper than comparable stuff, and just as good quality. (Neocitran, meds, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Another Shoppers Dog Fart expansion.

Their prices are wretched. Except the markdowns, which unfortunately are always on their shitty Life Brand.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:50 PM

My biggest criticism of Shoppers Drug Mart, at least at the newer locations, is the heavy emphasis on cosmetics and makeup. Every time I go into one of those stores to grab milk or whatever, I have to do the Shoppers Drug Mart Loop to get into the part of the store that men are interested in. It's not a huge deal really, but it's still annoying when I am forced to go through the cosmetics department to get into any other part of the store.

I'm just old enough to remember Big V.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, I hate the cosmetics detour....enough to shop elsewhere, in fact.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:41 AM
User Registered

Reason why you go through the cosmetics first is because they have a huge markup. Big profit margin for the company whereas most groceries like milk have a low profit margin.

When I go to Shoppers I only ever buy stuff that's on sale. Their regular prices are insane.

Life brand is ok for some stuff like generic meds.

My Simcity Stuff

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates