HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 2:05 PM
we built this city

Found this interesting view from Citadel hill.

Credit: passingcars on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/passingcars_/11575099284

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice high-res aerial. Click for more photos:

Source

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:13 PM

Unique view of King's Wharf;

SkylineStudio on Twitter (@SkylineAerials)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:03 PM

Ariel photography taken for a project for ViewPoint Reality and Vision Air Services. Photos were taken the morning of September 25, 2014. http://www.viewpoint.ca/aerials

Click images for larger resolutions

6438x2175 / 2.4MB

4160x2763 / 1.9MB

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Great find! The city has really been filling in over the past few years. It would be interesting to see the first photo with some upcoming and under construction buildings added. The Maple, Alexander, and Salter block will make a big difference. The North End is also going to look very different.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 9:36 PM

The second one which shows the Imperial Oil refinery site is interesting. The actual refinery is relatively small, but the associated tank farm is huge. Are my eyes deceiving me or do some of the tanks that are up the hill from the refinery have open tops? It is also interesting to see the amount of what appears to be spillage on the ground around some of the tanks.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The second one which shows the Imperial Oil refinery site is interesting. The actual refinery is relatively small, but the associated tank farm is huge. Are my eyes deceiving me or do some of the tanks that are up the hill from the refinery have open tops? It is also interesting to see the amount of what appears to be spillage on the ground around some of the tanks.
No open tops, floating tops. The smell from open tops would be atrocious and the evaporation of product would be akin to throwing money to the wind.
Crude and bunker C tanks require constant heat and a 'floating top' reduces heat loss.
Other refined product tanks don't require heating for obvious reasons.
The tank farm is small. Check out tank farms in Ras Tanura, Mina Al Ahmadi, Jamnagar or Rotterdam not to mention Singapore, and places in Texas or New Jersey.

Irving has 1,000,000 barrel crude tanks in Saint John.

In Kharkh Island, Iran the crude tanks were large enough to hold a full sized soccer field and the Missions to Seamen had an aerial photo of a game in a tank ! That was before Saddam sent his bombers down there for a quick bout of destruction and obliterated the loading terminals and most of the tank farm during the Iran-Iraq war.
The refinery flare at Khark was visible for over 30 miles, in the days of $1.50 a barrel crude.
Youtube is your friend : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5kLz9YT6M
Lavan Island opened circa '69/70

Last edited by Colin May; Oct 26, 2014 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:43 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is also interesting to see the amount of what appears to be spillage on the ground around some of the tanks.
Tanks are in recessed areas which are bounded by gravel mounds, and have special linings in case of a leak, this was probably taken a day or two after it rained and there's still some standing water causing the gravel to be wet

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:08 PM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/dcw/110...-church-street

interesting house that used be be below Alderney Drive.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
http://thechronicleherald.ca/dcw/110...-church-street

interesting house that used be be below Alderney Drive.
Hey, thanks for posting that. What a neat looking house! I imagine it was beautiful on the inside, with a nice view of the Harbour. Would love to see more photos of it, if they exist.

The pic from the herald link above:

It's visible in the left of this photo from the NS archives site, dated 1959-1960:
http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtua...es.asp?ID=1405

A snip from the above pic:

Looks like it was located on the corner of Church St. and Edward St. (a block above Alderney Drive), which has been vacant for as long as I can remember:

http://binged.it/1teWBNu

Snip from Bing Maps above showing the former location of the house:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:10 PM

Mark, google maps shows the location as being below Alderney, but above makes a lot more sense. Good sleuthing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Mark, google maps shows the location as being below Alderney, but above makes a lot more sense. Good sleuthing.
Yeah, that's what I found at first when I googled the address, but the more I thought of it, the more it didn't make sense given the elevation of the house in the photo. That's when I remembered the aerial photo from the archives site, and sure enough it was up the hill.

This area has held a little bit of a mystery for me as I can remember walking through that neighbourhood in the 1980s and seeing just the foundations of the demolished buildings. I always wondered what happened that a couple of blocks were torn down and then just left abandoned for 50 years...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:57 PM

Colin May will no remember a proposal from a developer from a number of years ago for a large developmnet for that site; 'One Park Avenue'? something like that. It was considered too big for that elevated piece of land, and did not fit with that lovely neighborhood near the park. It would be a great location for low scale development.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Colin May will no remember a proposal from a developer from a number of years ago for a large development for that site; 'One Park Avenue'? something like that. It was considered too big for that elevated piece of land, and did not fit with that lovely neighborhood near the park. It would be a great location for low scale development.
Same owner for almost 50 years, I think he has gone to the great development in the sky but his company lingers on. City should just expropriate and call for proposals. Grossly underassessed although I did manage to get the assessment jacked up several years ago; along with many other properties in HRM. I made a small fortune for HRM over the past 6 years and I am not on commission !

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Colin May will no remember a proposal from a developer from a number of years ago for a large developmnet for that site; 'One Park Avenue'? something like that. It was considered too big for that elevated piece of land, and did not fit with that lovely neighborhood near the park. It would be a great location for low scale development.
I believe Colin and I discussed this area a little on this board in the past, but I don't remember which thread. Don't remember the details of the discussion at the moment (age creeping up on me), but I believe this happened sometime in the sixties or early seventies, so the original reason for the tear-down may have been lost.

Edit: Just read Colin's post above, which wasn't there as I was typing. Thanks Colin!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 11:07 PM

my recollection was that it was about ten years ago that a developer had a proposal.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
my recollection was that it was about ten years ago that a developer had a proposal.
When the former Minister of Sprawl was mayor of HRM. That was quite a fight because it took place on the night the new Downtown Dartmouth Strategy was up for approval and he came in with a late request to change a plan that had been brought forward after several years of consultation.
It is presently zoned for 42 units per acre and staff identify as an "Opportunity site"
Developers who just sit on land in the urban core should be given the hook through expropriation followed by a call for proposals. A few expropriations will have the desired effect.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
When the former Minister of Sprawl was mayor of HRM. That was quite a fight because it took place on the night the new Downtown Dartmouth Strategy was up for approval and he came in with a late request to change a plan that had been brought forward after several years of consultation.
It is presently zoned for 42 units per acre and staff identify as an "Opportunity site"
Developers who just sit on land in the urban core should be given the hook through expropriation followed by a call for proposals. A few expropriations will have the desired effect.
agreed, so sad to see such desolation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 7:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Circa 2012:

Source

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 7:46 PM

RIP to that nice-looking intersection at Cunard and Agricola/North Park. What a waste of money that roundabout is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos